Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chipping and Guts

Go down 
+6
mizzy
sandkie
b.b.carabanesis
Begbie
golfbeginner
Duval_S
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:18 pm

The truth is my short game is too one dimensional.....many times...ok 99% of times...low flight...run it up...and hopefully the ball behaves well and stop at the 3rd bounce.....(provided I don duff it)

I had tried a few times if I do range, to try to swing and go under my ball aka FLOP it...but when I come to the actual game, I have difficulty gaining confidence....as I am not sure if the ground is hard, lie is good...etc etc....

Any tip for someone who is struggling with his short game.
Back to top Go down
golfbeginner
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
golfbeginner

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:36 pm

ME !!!!
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:44 pm

Duval_S wrote:
The truth is my short game is too one dimensional.....many times...ok 99% of times...low flight...run it up...and hopefully the ball behaves well and stop at the 3rd bounce.....(provided I don duff it)

I had tried a few times if I do range, to try to swing and go under my ball aka FLOP it...but when I come to the actual game, I have difficulty gaining confidence....as I am not sure if the ground is hard, lie is good...etc etc....

I am struggling myself with the same thing and consulted my pro on the same issue last week. Basically he gave me a few tips for flop shot.

1. Open stance but feet pretty much close together.
2. Open clubface, for tight lies with soft ground, try to use the bounce of your wedge to glide the club face below ball.
3. Through out the whole swing, try to keep your feet quiet.
4. Remember soft hands, and for flop shot, the hands are only slightly ahead of club face during impact and always remember to follow thru and never try to guide the ball with your club face as per my experience, I will end up pulling the shot or duffing it.
5. Ball position usually middle of the stance.
6. Last but not least, maintain posture and spine angle.

I tried this is the range, so far it works pretty well, one hop and stop. within less than a metre when done correctly.

Hope this helps....

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Thansk begbie. do you take into consideration the lie of the ball? I hv no freaking idea as I am just without guts.....(ok..you can call me gu-niang)
Back to top Go down
b.b.carabanesis
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
b.b.carabanesis

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Find a pro.
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:59 pm

There are a few types of lies that can be applied.

1. Fairway tight mound lie with hard/soft ground.
2. Floating on top of rough.
3. Half ball submerged below rough.

For no. 3, I doubt we can flop. Can only punch the ball out with mostly no spin. My ball tendency to roll quite a bit with this one. So I typically just aim close to the fringe of green and pray it rolls close to the hole. Always remember to open the clubface when u do this too.

For no. 1, I will try to play around with my bounce. For soft ground, I try to use my bounce, just like sand shot. For hard ground, I will open my face only slight with a slightly bigger swing arc . I'm sure you will try to do a few practice shots before making that, so that can actually give u a better insight of the ground you actually hitting from and make adjustments from there.

For no. 2, its the easiest, you may play it with square or open club face depends on the distance and trajectory you wish the ball to play.

Basically, these are my findings during my own practice. It may differ with another golfer.

Hope this helps.

Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:08 pm

I feel doing flop shot at range and course is very different...

Even though I can do flop shot at the range, I still dare not do it at the course.

For me, flop shot is like lazier version of 1/2 to 3/4 swing but with open club-face and open stance. So, imagine if we top it or rush it, the ball may fly to next tee box....

so I just do chip or pitch and run...

Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Duval_S wrote:

D, your short game already so sharp.. and you call it one dimensional?
99% next to pin not struggling lah.. hehe
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:16 pm

sandkie wrote:
I feel doing flop shot at range and course is very different...

Even though I can do flop shot at the range, I still dare not do it at the course.

For me, flop shot is like lazier version of 1/2 to 3/4 swing but with open club-face and open stance. So, imagine if we top it or rush it, the ball may fly to next tee box....

so I just do chip or pitch and run...

Yup, the flop shot has too many variables involved. Pitch/Bump and run still works the best with higher percentage.

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm a big walk-the-dog fan but I've tried to apply 2 basic rules to my chipping which has proven quite successful:

1. Steady/slow backswing
2. Follow-through!!!!

This allows me to get the ball in the air but it may not be as accurate as I'd like. It helps to prevent duffing the shot (walking-the-dog). This has helped me build up some confidence for my chips which I never had in the past.

I'm still far from where I want to be in terms of chipping abilities but I'm ahead of where I was before.
Back to top Go down
b.b.carabanesis
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
b.b.carabanesis

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Technospaz wrote:

1. Steady/slow backswing
2. Follow-through!!!!

Isn't this the foundation for the basic golf swing?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:25 pm

b.b.carabanesis wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

1. Steady/slow backswing
2. Follow-through!!!!

Isn't this the foundation for the basic golf swing?

Have you seen my swing? Sad I could do with some application of the foundation to chips.
Back to top Go down
b.b.carabanesis
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
b.b.carabanesis

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Have you seen my swing? Sad

Then you should start applying these to all your golf swings and you can start playing better!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:31 pm

b.b.carabanesis wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Then you should start applying these to all your golf swings and you can start playing better!

Geez, tell me something I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Quote :
b.b.carabanesis wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

hmmm....looks like you are textbook.

hey, but no qualms about it...tat is also a tot and tip.....BTW, thanks for caring
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 pm

I can do a flop better on course than range, coz range is mat and its hard.

Sound like the main reason why it is harder to do a flop on course is mental more than skill... If you keep worrying that you will top it, you will not be able to execute the shot well.... just believe in yourself and give it a try, if worry so much, then dun do it at all...
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Used to have the same problem. Damn "kilat" at the range but big screw up on the course.

Now slightly better and it's all down to the most common phrase we hear in golf:

"Keep your head still and eyes on the ball!"

Hope it will help you too Cool
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 4:19 pm

U shouldn't be in that position that u need to flop is the first place. If really need too, start with a low bounce wedge
Back to top Go down
b.b.carabanesis
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
b.b.carabanesis

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 4:27 pm

duffader wrote:
U shouldn't be in that position that u need to flop is the first place.

That is because for the prior shot, he forgot to take a slow and steady back-swing and he never follow-through the ball.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 4:44 pm

b.b.carabanesis wrote:
duffader wrote:
U shouldn't be in that position that u need to flop is the first place.

That is because for the prior shot, he forgot to take a slow and steady back-swing and he never follow-through the ball.

Wrong person'lah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chipping and Guts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chipping and Guts   Chipping and Guts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chipping and Guts
Page 1 of 1