Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world? Empty
PostSubject: Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world?   Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 11:55 am

lets say, golfers = play at least 6 times a year.

Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world?   Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 12:25 pm

I know lots of golfers earlier, now I dont see them at the club house anymore, may have given up golf. Some find that no improvement over the game give up, some find travelling time to JB a hassle taken up whole day better to spend time with family, so give up!

The last time every Sat my club house was like Pasar Malam crowded today not anymore.. Where have all the SG golfers gone to? to MBGC?
Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

PostSubject: Re: Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world?   Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Green fees expensive, coaching fees expensive, golf skills and golf ball sense even more elusive. I think that's why many people start to learn and then give up. Also, too little support from organisations. Hope the situation will improve, if not this sport will always remain for the elite.
Back to top Go down
garfield
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
garfield

Location : Latitude: 1º22´ North of the Equator, Longitude: 103º48´ East of Greenwich

PostSubject: Re: Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world?   Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Hogan wrote:
Green fees expensive, coaching fees expensive, golf skills and golf ball sense even more elusive. I think that's why many people start to learn and then give up. Also, too little support from organisations. Hope the situation will improve, if not this sport will always remain for the elite.

Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world?   Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Here is my perspective over the past 18 years in the game.

There was a massive rise in participation in the late 90's early part of the 2000's. Since that time there has been a leveling, maybe even a slight decline in the US. In other parts of the world I would say the game is growing as more are becoming exposed and people living in the more developing countries now have the money to play. So I would argue that the game is gwoing globally, but regionally there could be areas of decline.

The US growth was partially tied to real estate. When the housing crisis hit there were a ton of courses that shut down and took many memberships with them. So there were some golfers who just left the game entirely.

I think it is an overly expensive game, that is only going to continue along that trend. Courses require tremendous capital to not only create themselves, but maintain as well. The recouping of that investment needs to come from somewhere. Then you add the time aspect of not only learning the game, but playing it on a regular basis and there is a large commitment that must be undertaken in order to get better and then enjoy the game.

I am not sure if this is going to continue, but I see driving ranges, 9 hole games, and even par 3 type courses as viable options in the future. They require less time, less land, and money to participate.

The game of golf is amazing and I wish that everyone had the chance to try it out and get hooked like I did. But the reality of it is...not everyone will get that chance unless programs like first tee are created all over the world and get kids hooked early.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world?   Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is population of golfers growing in SG and around the world?
Page 1 of 1