Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

never bite off more than you can chew..

Go down 
+12
simoner
shamusan
S70B
asahi
DRGjr72
Duval_S
4dtoto
watermyforrest
Master
pushslice
duffader
mUAr_cHEe
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

never bite off more than you can chew.. Empty
PostSubject: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 2:56 pm

BK is like so ultimate #SGFail.

oops... this is not twitter...

but in case if u guys did not know... Today is $1 TenderMcGrill day...

look what happened:

never bite off more than you can chew.. 255360289
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 pm

no wonder i saw a long Q at BK just now....
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:04 pm

I also saw a very long queue outside BK OCBC building...

So are tendergrills really that good?
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:05 pm

MC its tendergrill not Mcgrill.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Doh.... someone in the new BK management is giving out this gimmick without proper planning and execution... so unlike Ben & Jerry's free ice cream day...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:07 pm

dammit... i had too much mcgrill for the last week with the 1for1 thingie...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

pushslice wrote:
I also saw a very long queue outside BK OCBC building...

So are tendergrills really that good?

for $1, do u think it matters?
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:09 pm

The BK in suntec also long-q...seldom happen...my friend strike 2 dollar 4D, collected the sgd2 and treat his girlfriend to BK, buy two bugger for SGD2...hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:11 pm

this remind me of the $1 petrol saga... hhAAHAA
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:21 pm

well guess it doesnt then. I was eating across the road, they waited at least 40mins outside.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:28 pm

hmmmm seems like queueing is fun such that spent 40mins there....

Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:58 pm

I was at Novena Sq. today with my son after visiting at Eton House and was going to get him some BK for lunch (Fish Sandwich). Well sure enough the line was almost out of the door at the mall. I was shocked as I had been there several times prior and the line was minimal at best.

After walking by several times (there was no way I was staying in line for 30-45 mins to get food as I understand the time value of money) I noticed they all had newspaper clippings in their hand....promo!!! Way to go BK...drop the price to where demand in through the roof...Economics 101....was pretty neat to see it in practice.

FYI for anyone that waited in line for more than 30 mins....If you look at the cost of the sandwich (approx $5) and the coupon for $1...The difference is about 4 bucks. If you wait in line for 30 mins to save $4 dollars you are in essence illustrating the value of your time or your cost/benefit analysis of that time.

To calculate (rudimentary calculation)...Take your salary..divide it by 2000 then divide that number in half. That is a reasonable number to equate your hourly value of time. For example. If you made $100K last year, divide that by 2000 (40 hours per week x 50 weeks). That gives you 50. Then divide that by 2 (taxes, social security, etc). That gives you an hourly value of $25.

The only pitfall is if you can't use your extra time to make that money, then you are best off going with the least costly option.

So for me..this cost benefit analysis illustrates that there is no way in hell that I would ever wait in line for 30 mins at BK to save 4 bucks on a sandwich. It is just not worth it for me or my family. There might be people where this is a viable option or they just want to be part of the crowd.

Please don't take this examination as anything other than pure rambling. I really don't care or would hold it against someone if they did stay in line. I just cannot see the benefit of wasting so much time to save 4 bucks, maybe that is because I am looking at things from a different lens. Maybe 4 bucks per sandwich for a family, could be big savings and would be worth it for sure.

Either way...thanks for the time to examine this topic outloud... Beer
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Dan, welcome to Singapore! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 11:11 pm

asahi wrote:
Dan, welcome to Singapore! Very Happy

Oh it happens where I am from as well. Maybe not to that degree...but it surely happens. Actually now I recall one of the local McDonalds ran a special in certain days of the week and if you went there during that time the lines were outrageous.

So maybe without thinking it out too much I assumed that it was different, when it actuality it was pretty similar. I had just not seen that type of thing over here as of yet..so it was interesting!!!!

I did find out this weekend however (OT) that cab drivers opt to go and get a coffee or pull off the road when the rain is heavy, that is part of the reason why it is super hard to get a cab in the rain. The risk of driving in the rain and getting in an accident is too much..so they opt to take a break. Found that to be awesome and really liked the answer.

Everyday I learn something new here...it is pretty cool.

Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 11:17 pm

Dan

U were lucky not to be around when MacDs had their Hello Kitty craze.

It drove me bonkers to see ppl Q....before the store even opened and that was when they weren't 24hr.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 11:19 pm

hahahah....but in Singapore, it is really extreme.

Case in pt, the BK promo.....during lunch earlier, was passing by BK at Pasir Ris.
There was a long queue. I stopped and wondered. 2 elderly folks came by, not knowing what it was, they just simply joined the queue.

lol!

Oh, about the taxis, never, I say never try to hail a cab during their knock off time (yours or theirs). It is tougher than tough.
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 11:34 pm

@S7OB...wow...now that would be a sight to see. There were actually people taking pictures today. So I am guessing this not out of the norm.

I guess waiting in line for a trinket or some concert tickets or whatever...it does not really matter. If people want it they will do whatever it takes to get it.

Side note...we are moving into our place in a few weeks, so the clubs will be here and I know that my in-laws will be here in April, so there will be some golf on the horizon. Would love to hook up. Will have my father in law with me.

Dan
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:24 am

Just think iPad release. Thats similiar.

OT: Dan

Heading to Pensacola, FL in 2 weeks. Will be there for a mth before spending a week in NYC.

Back in May. Hope to hook up a game with you mate.
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:27 am

DRGjr72 wrote:
I was at Novena Sq. today with my son after visiting at Eton House and was going to get him some BK for lunch (Fish Sandwich). Well sure enough the line was almost out of the door at the mall. I was shocked as I had been there several times prior and the line was minimal at best.

After walking by several times (there was no way I was staying in line for 30-45 mins to get food as I understand the time value of money) I noticed they all had newspaper clippings in their hand....promo!!! Way to go BK...drop the price to where demand in through the roof...Economics 101....was pretty neat to see it in practice.

FYI for anyone that waited in line for more than 30 mins....If you look at the cost of the sandwich (approx $5) and the coupon for $1...The difference is about 4 bucks. If you wait in line for 30 mins to save $4 dollars you are in essence illustrating the value of your time or your cost/benefit analysis of that time.

To calculate (rudimentary calculation)...Take your salary..divide it by 2000 then divide that number in half. That is a reasonable number to equate your hourly value of time. For example. If you made $100K last year, divide that by 2000 (40 hours per week x 50 weeks). That gives you 50. Then divide that by 2 (taxes, social security, etc). That gives you an hourly value of $25.

The only pitfall is if you can't use your extra time to make that money, then you are best off going with the least costly option.

So for me..this cost benefit analysis illustrates that there is no way in hell that I would ever wait in line for 30 mins at BK to save 4 bucks on a sandwich. It is just not worth it for me or my family. There might be people where this is a viable option or they just want to be part of the crowd.

Please don't take this examination as anything other than pure rambling. I really don't care or would hold it against someone if they did stay in line. I just cannot see the benefit of wasting so much time to save 4 bucks, maybe that is because I am looking at things from a different lens. Maybe 4 bucks per sandwich for a family, could be big savings and would be worth it for sure.

Either way...thanks for the time to examine this topic outloud... Beer

finally.. someone to talk economics with...
anyway, the latest trend in economics is behavioural economics, and this is to supplement traditional economic theory.

based on your mathematical calculation, it would not make sense to stand in line to Q. but by studying behavioural economics, we could justify the irrationality in human behaviour, and why humans often tend to make irrational choices. By irrational choices, we mean choices which do not hold water by traditional classical logical reasoning and mathematical models.

however, behavioural economics, as are all branches of economics, is also rooted in mathematics. however, the defined variables and methods of derivation are different, leading one to be able to solve for the irrational choices of human beings.

Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:54 am

fantastic... i wholeheartedly agree with both you guys... i would never wait in line to save 4 bucks for a sandwich...

however, i would gladly wait an hour for damn good char kway teow!!!
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:01 am

shamusan wrote:
fantastic... i wholeheartedly agree with both you guys... i would never wait in line to save 4 bucks for a sandwich...

however, i would gladly wait an hour for damn good char kway teow!!!

I also say! Beer
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:53 am

S70B wrote:
Dan

U were lucky not to be around when MacDs had their Hello Kitty craze.

It drove me bonkers to see ppl Q....before the store even opened and that was when they weren't 24hr.

i slept at the serene center store overnight for the last pair. -.-

no. it was not for my girlfriend. it was for my 4 year old sister then...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:55 am

Master wrote:
finally.. someone to talk economics with...
anyway, the latest trend in economics is behavioural economics, and this is to supplement traditional economic theory.

based on your mathematical calculation, it would not make sense to stand in line to Q. but by studying behavioural economics, we could justify the irrationality in human behaviour, and why humans often tend to make irrational choices. By irrational choices, we mean choices which do not hold water by traditional classical logical reasoning and mathematical models.

however, behavioural economics, as are all branches of economics, is also rooted in mathematics. however, the defined variables and methods of derivation are different, leading one to be able to solve for the irrational choices of human beings.

wow. didn't know you can use long words.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:36 am

I will wait in line if the bloody flight in front is slow..........but not too much
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:41 am

Are people being crazy or cheap?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: never bite off more than you can chew..   never bite off more than you can chew.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

never bite off more than you can chew..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next