Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Balls that has best bite for buck

Go down 
+15
enwee
blee67
audi
4dtoto
Derek
jeffman88
pippin
Technospaz
eiji
weesern
Denmeister
kevlee69
asahi
slinger
blong
19 posters
AuthorMessage
blong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf Balls that has best bite for buck Empty
PostSubject: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:18 pm

As I am starting to land on the greens with my mid irons - hybrids, i find my ball rolling off the back usually leaving me with a tricky chip in what was suppsed to have been a great iron approach. 9 iron onwards i would have no difficulty stopping.

i use Nike PD soft as its good value. Is there another more bite per $ ball out there? Pro V1 is a bit punchy
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:46 pm

not trying to be a smart alec....

1 club down lor....
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Other than what slinger mentioned which makes perfect sense.

Ball wise, try Penta-5?
Back to top Go down
kevlee69
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kevlee69

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:52 pm

You can try the Bridgestone xFIXx balls. Great value for money - 2 piece ball with good distance and short game control. One of the golf magazines recently did a blind testing of golf balls and this ball came in tops for the low-mid range balls.

blong wrote:
As I am starting to land on the greens with my mid irons - hybrids, i find my ball rolling off the back usually leaving me with a tricky chip in what was suppsed to have been a great iron approach. 9 iron onwards i would have no difficulty stopping.

i use Nike PD soft as its good value. Is there another more bite per $ ball out there? Pro V1 is a bit punchy
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:53 pm

I still prefer pro V's.

I use second hand balls though. Results wise, AA graded ones are no different from new ones. That's just me.

Pricewise, BIG DIFFERENCE!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 9:20 pm

slinger wrote:

1 club down lor....

Agree... know how much ur ball will roll and land short to accommodate the roll.

eg, centre pin, aim to land at front of green so the ball will release to the hole.
Back to top Go down
blong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 9:30 pm

someone else told me to make a note of my rolling distance and play the correct club, which can come only from playing more often. dont use rangefinder and didi chiong flag and dont waste money on high end ball yet. sigh...... so no short-cut solution to this problem. thanks anyway appreciate the responses Smile
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 9:47 pm

blong wrote:
someone else told me to make a note of my rolling distance and play the correct club, which can come only from playing more often. dont use rangefinder and didi chiong flag and dont waste money on high end ball yet. sigh...... so no short-cut solution to this problem. thanks anyway appreciate the responses Smile

this sunday, your playing partner has rangefinder.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 9:53 pm

slinger wrote:

1 club down lor....

I don't think our greens are able to sustain enough backspin to make a difference. I agree with Slinger - club down instead.
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Yup one club down ... This I agree Smile
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 11:23 pm

Blong how about instead of just looking to the ball characteristics also hv a look at the club face n roughen it up ... Smile

understand anything done to the face of the club that increases the friction between the clubface and the surface of the ball will increase backspin, no matter what your swing technique. Simple sandblast or roughening up with sandpaper will help provided u arent too fussy about it destroying the smooth plating shiny satiny finish of ur mid-irons hybrids...

having a rougher club face finish for better grip hence imparting more bite to the ball when struck resulting in more backspin? just a thought....
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 12:37 am

Best value would have to be 2nd hand balls.

But it would appear that your issue is because you are now hitting your clubs further, either through a faster swing speed or better contact. In which case, it's a good problem to have and perhaps time to try one less club.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 4:08 am

Derek, still using b330?
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 am

hit ball high so land soft..
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 8:42 am

find 2nd hand balls mate. or you can try srixon soft feel, good value
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:10 am

asahi wrote:
Derek, still using b330?

He hits far now and last heard that he is reconsidering his position in SHIC.....

Now he needs to use good quality balls that can BITE one.... What a Face
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:15 am

blee wrote:
asahi wrote:
Derek, still using b330?

He hits far now and last heard that he is reconsidering his position in SHIC.....

Now he needs to use good quality balls that can BITE one.... What a Face

Derek uses B330? I didn't know that. Somehow, I thought he was a Pro V user.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

I heard the from the WOG's sales that the Bridgestone ball, the old packaging is on sales. Also heard from a single hcp, told me that certain model of Bridgestone balls feel a bit like the Pro V. Wonder any one tried it?

Btw IMHO, GD's TP3 is definitely value for money for balls within $40 budget.
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 10:24 am

The Bridgestone RX Series bites like a ProV
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:03 am

enwee wrote:
I heard the from the WOG's sales that the Bridgestone ball, the old packaging is on sales. Also heard from a single hcp, told me that certain model of Bridgestone balls feel a bit like the Pro V. Wonder any one tried it?

Btw IMHO, GD's TP3 is definitely value for money for balls within $40 budget.

the b330 at WOG going 55 per doz, two doz think it's slightly cheaper.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:52 am

JonL_TK wrote:
Nice to hear that, any experience between the RX and RXS? Since WOG is going a sales, thought might wanna try it out.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:22 pm

@Asahi ... yup back to the Bridgestone B330-RX

@Blee ... after carefully checking the club charter, I am still eligible to be a member as long as my driver swing speed is in double digits, i.e. <100mph

@TS ... I think the couple of times we played at OCC, I was eitherer using the old model NXT (which I like) or the ProV1x which I picked up, but there was one game I played with a Pro V1 cos I forgot to bring golf balls and that was the only sleeve in my bag, I actually don't like the Pro V1 that much, a bit too much spin, damm ball curves too much left or right.

@Enwee ... I have been a fan of the Bridgestone B330-RX for a long time, starting with the previous model (before they split into RX and RXS). Main difference to me is the amount of spin, be it side spin or back spin. The RXS spins noticeably more, and the way it checks seems comparable with the ProV1. Be it on full iron or wedge shots or shorter pitches.

I personally prefer the RX to the RXS, largely because it is more forgiving if I make a bad swing, i.e.hooks or slices less.

I can't really tell the difference performance wise between the NXT Tour and the B330-RX, and my best game recently was played with an NXT Tour ball. However, I really love the marketing angle of the B330 series (that the RX is optimized for swing speeds below 105mph) so it still remains my ball of choice.
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 2:15 pm

Try Top Flite gamer V2, 3 layer ball at 2 layer price. Although it didn't works for me.
Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
3131T

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:23 pm

blong wrote:

Try used Z-STAR-XV... Definately give u more bite per $ ball...

Slinger club choice will good...
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:39 pm

enwee wrote:
JonL_TK wrote:
Nice to hear that, any experience between the RX and RXS? Since WOG is going a sales, thought might wanna try it out.

No idea... Started out using the e6 then to the e7... After that tried a box of B330RX and hated them cos felt i was losing alot of distance.

Eventually, tried the Bridgestone Ball Fitting in the States and I was fitted with the B330-S.
Ball goes a mile

Have since switched to the ProV1x as i like the distance / feel / bite on the greens

Sometimes we have to look into our swing also... if we are not compressing (spin) the ball enough... the ball will not bite on the greens
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf Balls that has best bite for buck   Golf Balls that has best bite for buck I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf Balls that has best bite for buck
Page 1 of 1