Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?

Go down 
+11
DGman
Birdman
shamusan
Turbo
Genesis
eiji
Duval_S
S70B
wilkang
duffader
cmclee
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cmclee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
cmclee

How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? Empty
PostSubject: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Hello,
please don't flame me if this question had been asked before. I am playing off 19 handicap and my 6 iron hits 150m. Had been using AP2 nspro regular flex and now MP58 nspro regular flex too. At the back of my mind, I keep asking myself if its time for me to try a Stiff-Regular (SR) Flex.
Could the experts here share some ideas or symptoms to look out for, how do I know its time for me to consider a different flex ?

Many thanks !
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Practical answer:
1)If you feel that your irons are too light and your shots are going everywhere without control, then maybe you should look for clubfitter for an answer. But if they are working well, then maybe not. The shafts dun help you hit longer if you are looking for that anwser, your swing will be the key element of hitting it longer.

Impractical answer:
1) If you itchy backside, the what are you waiting for.... Smile
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Can't agree more with duffader...it's the shaft weight that you should consider.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 2:05 pm

Mates

I dunno but Sg golfers are on the other extreme scale of things compared to US golfers. Most I see want to go to as light a flex as possible whereas ppl in US I see always want to go the opposite way (Ego I guess). I am not faulting either but I find the logic of Sg golfers very funny when I ask them why an able, strong, attended NS person like themselves, with a decent swing speed wanna use an R or SR flex in their set. The most common answer is that they always complain a club being 'heavy' if they go stiffer.

What is heavy? a 90g shaft and a 120g shaft has only 30g diff.

Many then say they will lack the 'stamina' to play it for 18 holes.

Lets do the math:

If you shoot 96 (24 over par). Lets work out some averages

You putt ~ 38 times

you drive it 14 times

That leaves it ~44 shots with your irons ( excluding chips).

For most, thats less than a bucket of balls you normally go thru at the range.

My 25 kid is a prime example. After trying out my AP2s on X100s at the range, he was striping the ball down the centre and even hitting it further than his current set but after all the sweet shots, he concluded that the set is 'too demanding' for him, ignoring the fact of the matter is that his dispersion and distance improved with a stiffer shaft.

WTH?

I am not telling everyone here to get out and switch to an X flex shaft but the mindset of clubs stiffer and heavier are 'demanding' has to go. If you go to a decent fitter, they will always fit you to the Stiffest shaft YOU can handle. Not the Softest. Your dispersion will probably improve significantly but distance might go back a few m or remain the same.

Everyone differs. TW in his prime mentioned before that if he goes to softer shafts, his distance improves but dispersion increases. I have opposite results whereby my distance decreases and dispersion increases when I play softer shafts. However, I want to hit it straight and close, not far and crooked. It doesn't bother me 1 bit when I hit more club than my buddies cos I am playing my own game. I also use S in my irons only instead of X. Its a more balanced fit after trying everything out.

Ask a fitter. You wouldn't hurt your game as much as you think you will.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 2:54 pm

I moved fm 67gm graphite to 95gm steel shaft.......I think I played better.

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:03 pm

THe grandmaster was telling me the other night that you must use the heaviest and stiffest shaft that you can handle too. This overtime will generate your natural swing. I change from NSPRO-KB90S-KBS TOUR R t S. And I am plaing much better golf now, not because the previous two shafts are no good but its just that my tempo have improved hence creating better distance. I am now 1.5 clubs longer than when i first started.
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:05 pm

I moved from 95gm steel S flex to 75gm steel R flex...i duff less Very Happy
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:09 pm

wilkang wrote:

I really think you should try the KBS tour.

i tried out Capt's AP2 with KBS Tour, its really very sweet setup.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Genesis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Which new iron set come with KBS stock shaft?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:35 pm

TM R9 comes with it although i think that they are abit different from the aftermarket ones. titleist comes as an option to upgrade the shafts to KBS too with a top up i tink.
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:47 pm

eiji wrote:
wilkang wrote:

I really think you should try the KBS tour.

i tried out Capt's AP2 with KBS Tour, its really very sweet setup.

I am more inclined to true temper cos that's what i am using now...wonder if the S flex is ok.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Genesis wrote:

Miura irons come with KBS 90 Tour Shaft as standard.
Back to top Go down
Genesis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm

I feel my swing speed is slower then before, it is the right time to replace my set? or should I change my irons shaft partially? or buy new set of irons?
Back to top Go down
Genesis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Turbo wrote:
Genesis wrote:

Whch model is it? I'm using AP2 and I like the feel, just wonder Miura are similar.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Genesis wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Genesis wrote:

Whch model is it? I'm using AP2 and I like the feel, just wonder Miura are similar.

I did not remember the Miura model as I have no intention to buy Miura irons which is quite pricey. You may wanna drop by Golf & Leisure at Far East SC, 2nd Level to check it up.

I would consider Fourteen irons if I want a Japanese make but Fourteen only comes with NSPRO stock shaft which I don't like.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 7:20 pm

Fourteen made in China or Thailand hor.

Can verify on their website.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:24 pm

Yah, 14 confirm china... And I love china.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Made in China and perhaps assemble in Japan?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Assembling in japan or china makes no difference in my opinion.... its still the club face that makes the difference.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 pm

I have nothing against things made in China. Heck most of the Titleist and TM stuff all come from there.

However, for Fourteen to price itself in the JDM range while its made in China, that I hv a problem with.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:58 pm

Caveat Emptor?
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Well, the problem is that majority of the consumers who are familiar with the brand Fourteen still have the notion its forged in Japan when it is not.

I think China has caught up in terms of technology in production but if I am to pay those extra $$$, they better be done by that samurai working his ass off in that Japanese factory.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:52 pm

S70B wrote:
Well, the problem is that majority of the consumers who are familiar with the brand Fourteen still have the notion its forged in Japan when it is not.

I think China has caught up in terms of technology in production but if I am to pay those extra $$$, they better be done by that samurai working his ass off in that Japanese factory.

Actually Fourteen Irons is relatively much less expensive compare to Miura, Yamaha or Honma. It is even cheaper than Mizuno selling in RH. You can check the price in Transview (< S$1k average for PW-4 irons).
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:00 am

Sorry, dunno price in Sg

The price of Fourteen and Muira in US are about the same. The last time I checked was ard Sept last yr.

It was also the last time I will check up on their prices.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:08 am

S70B wrote:

\

i love this reply!!!

but i do have to agree with S70B, for the price of 14, be it their wedges or their irons, i find absurd that they are pricing themselves so much higher when in terms of performance, i do not find much difference... plus, china made is china made be it assembled by the aforementioned samurai or a chinaman... personally, my clubs are all made in china (i think) and assembled in singapore by DGman...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?   How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next