Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex

Go down 
+9
S70B
asahi
chinchiachun
Ssquirrel
bono
crayon33
JetA1
r510tp
ringrain_78
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex Empty
PostSubject: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:40 am

Had posted 1 of this, Aldila RIP (60g, 3.6 torque) R-flex shaft for sale on behalf of a friend. Since there was no takers for the past 1 month, I suggested to him, why not let me play with it and if I like it, I can buy from him. The rest was then history...

So yesterday, went to OCC to look for Uncle Phua, so he suggested a particular driver head (I do not want to disclose the brand but definitely not as common as I would had thought). So he went on to spine the shaft, lengthened it, fitted the head and added 6 layers of masking tape (yes, I got big hands) and finally a Golf Pride grip. Even at this point, I have my reservation since I had quite an awful experience with my previous R-flex shaft (come to that later). Also, some golfers had advised that this RIP shaft, as it's name suggested, RIP - dead feeling, so better that I do not have too much high hopes in it.

11/Jan - went to MBGC for a trial run of RIP.

Firstly, I lined up 10 balls for my current driver (G15, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ, stiff @ 65g). Mostly, slight pull or straight, carry distance about 190m-200m (the lighting is not too good but my estimate is about there). Ball launched out high. Perhaps, my swing speed is not up to the mark for a more penetrative drive.

Then, I allocated alot more balls for trying out the Aldila RIP. First few hits, balls slicely wildly. I went on to adjust my address, variety of ball positions (aligned with left heel, 1" near, 1" farther, etc), tee height and tweeted my swing speed. Finally after many balls, I could now managed to find the sweet spot of the club face. Lined up another 10 balls for the final trial.

WOW, ball launched much lower (seems more penetrative), carry distance consistently over 200m mark. Ball flight still in slightly left pull direction. The feel is "dead" as what other had described but it does give a feeling of very stable, not much "after-shock". The more flexible shaft does give me an impression that I am using less effort in the swing and hit.

I didn't try the stock TFC shafts since it gave me terrible slices and too whippy and uncontrollable.

I will bring it to Legends this Saturday and lined it up against my current driver & shaft and if results are as per in range. I'm seriously considering using this shaft and driver as my main setup.

A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex Dsc02001v

So for the senior golfers, please do feel free to add in what other characteristics, I should look for...

Disclaimer: This review is written by an equipment whore and totally untrained in the technicalities of golf, doesn't know what is spin, torque, kick point, etc. I am just a leisure golfer looking for consistency and straighter and longer drive to the fairways...
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:16 am

Thanks ringrain_78, it's a very good review.

Smile
Back to top Go down
JetA1
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
JetA1

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:01 am

And may I add a little detail....
The aldila RIP shaft that you've tested is a gamma version. This is evident by the 'yellow' eyes. The gamma version gives a higher launch profile when compared to the alpha (red eyes) version.

Btw, great review by you
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 8:11 am

Hi Sam, great review on the shaft. Maybe I need to give this shaft a try if it launches a tad bit higher than my RIP alpha. My problem is that my present driver is a 910 D2 and as I understand it, reshafting it requires a different sized ferrule which is not yet available.

Hope to read another on course review from you after your trip to legends!
Back to top Go down
bono
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Finally I had the opportunity to try this shaft on my R9 Max today in NSRCC.

I am probably not qualified to write a real review but thought I'll just add some of my impressions on the shaft to the excellent review here by Sam. Can't and shall not be technical here on my sharing.

The RIP (gamma) seems to play stiffer compared to some other US specs R flex that I've had the privilege of trying e.g. Fujikura E360, GD Pershing, UST Proforce, Diamana (blue board). As a result, it feels a lot more stable, controlled and encourages me to 'go for it' in my swing in contrast to the easy swing I am tuned to in order to maintain consistency.

I have to confess that my first few tee offs was disasterous. While I did not slice (to my surprise), I just couldn't seem to get the ball to launch decently. However, following some adjustments and quick tweaks I was doing better in the back nine.

Here's what I experienced with the few times I got it right:
- Ball launches lower than what I normally do with my drives
- Flight is a lot more 'aggressive', penetrating and dead straight
- Very stable and 'compact' feel on contact instead of 'dead'
- I got a lot more roll on landing which is something I have been missing as my drives tend to land soft

All the above said, I feel that the characteristics of this shaft makes it a lot more challenging to execute compared to what I have been used to (probably my standard not there yet). Nevertheless, I still like it and will continue to work on it.

P/S: I must also add that the cool graphics and hot matte finish caught the attention of my flight mates.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 5:45 pm

This weekend I tried out my RIP yellow eyes shaft on a Adams 9064ls.
I'm not sure if the shaft that comes with the Adams driver is the same you guys' or is a "made for Adams" shaft.

Overall I find the ball flight quite high. I don't get this "aggressive, penetrating" ball flight you guys talk about. Overall distance slightly shorter maybe because not much roll. I was thinking if it's the shaft or the driver head when I realized that ,actually it's my swing lousy la.. albino
Back to top Go down
chinchiachun
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chinchiachun

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 6:06 pm

No 180m with the 9064/RIP combo? Never hit hard look up lah. albino
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Based on what I have heard of SS, methinks he was aiming for 230-250m, hence disappointed with the field test. albino
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 6:41 pm

I let u try my 9064 w blueboard la. Bao jiak.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
This weekend I tried out my RIP yellow eyes shaft on a Adams 9064ls.
I'm not sure if the shaft that comes with the Adams driver is the same you guys' or is a "made for Adams" shaft.

Overall I find the ball flight quite high. I don't get this "aggressive, penetrating" ball flight you guys talk about. Overall distance slightly shorter maybe because not much roll. I was thinking if it's the shaft or the driver head when I realized that ,actually it's my swing lousy la.. albino

Dun forget, who bought the balls for u...Smile
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Simi kind of balls.....share share leh

Smile
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Not the balls or the club lah.. My swing no good.

Btw, the shaft I played was Stiff flex. I think old man like me maybe get better distancw with Senior flex? Good drives go like 173m. Think I should hit the gym more than buy new shaft..
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 7:30 pm

Bro, give it a few more outings bah.

But hor, dun anyhow hit the gym to get distance.
May hv adverse effect, ya know.
Back to top Go down
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 10:12 am

After 2 rounds at the green (Legends Golf Course - Palm and Hill - 15/Jan, MBGC - 22/Jan), these are my follow-up thoughts about the shaft:

1) At Legends, it definitely feels 'lighter' than my previous setup (G15, Tour AD S-flex shaft). Initially, this unfamiliar change of weight almost caused me to 'force' the driver through with wild downswings and uncocking wrists too early...in short, disasterous first few drives at Legends. After the 3rd drive, I'm more or less familiar and drives are more controlled. Distance-wise, a little shorter than my stiff flex G15.

At MBGC, my drives are definitely much better, up of 13/14 drives, I would say most were straight or slightly pulled. 1/2 were slices but only because I was leaning backwards in my backswing. Still trying to hit and smash the driver face squarely onto the ball.

Feel that I'm getting back the distance and might go back to the fitter to add an extra inch.

2) Flex-wise; this is definitely softer than my Tour AD stiff but much stiffer than the stock Ping TFC 300D shaft (R-flex). Probably a 7 grading if flex spectrum between a rattan cane and a broomstick!

I agreed with what bro Bono said, this R-flex does feel more firm than the normal R-flex. Good for beginner like me who like a more firm shaft but swing speed still too slow for the real stuff.

As for the loading of the shaft, found that even though it’s R-flex, it doesn’t bend too much, so during the downswing, really need to “feel” the head and sweep fast, pretty much like a stiff-flex shaft.

3) Launch - I don't see much difference between the launch high as I am using a higher tee and impacting ball on a slight upwsing. Perhaps, I should use a shallower tee with more confidence.

Summary: Will be using this shaft & head combo for the time being.
Back to top Go down
escyb
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
escyb

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Read on golfwrx that Adila RIP is tip stiff and more true to flex, which I quite agree. Demo-ed the RIP shaft with a TM superdeep and it feels tip stiff. Not quite as tip stiff as a Motore F1 though....

Just my 2cents worth.
Back to top Go down
chrislzh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 6:44 pm

hows the kick point like?
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 9:36 pm

I actually found the RIP is not as stout as they lead you to believe. I tried 60S, 70S and 70X (the latter in 2 forms: prototype and retail) and I still think they are not as stout. It is actually a pretty smooth shaft for an Aldila, big difference from their previous products.

The RIP kills spins, but not really low launching. Not demanding at all, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex   A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Beginner's Review: Aldila RIP (60g) R-Flex
Page 1 of 1