Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review

Go down 
+10
IGT
nicasio
DGman
schnell
Technospaz
eiji
crayon33
Fronzenre
sagiteric
asahi
14 posters
AuthorMessage
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review Empty
PostSubject: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 9:53 pm

This review was supposed to be a 'finalized' review of the fishy wedges but due to Murphy's Law, in the end, no golf game today.

At the same time, I took up DGman's birthday offer to me to test the new Callaway drivers. Was soooooo looking forward it but alas!
So you can imagine it was quite a downer when I did not get to do either today.
Nonetheless, proceeded to the range to try out the two drivers; Extreme Fit and XHot.

Constants are as follow;

Swing : Moi truly; a flat indoor golf swing
SS : Ranges from 85 to 92
Shaft used in testing : Tour AD BB 6S

Before that, here are some pics of the drivers used in the testing today (including my own Razr Fit).

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review 8376576996_082e0046e5

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review 8375503123_e1ff61c6f9

Notice the Extreme Fit's sweet spot seems more towards the heel.

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review 8376577372_8b9c237b92

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review 8376577588_bb09f085be

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review 8375503859_aa312ff5ec

The Razr Fit and the XHot are 460cc drivers whereas the Extreme Fit is a 440cc one.
Looks wise, all 3 drivers look pleasing at address.

At address, the XHot and the Razr Fit looks square, at least to me whereas the Extreme Fit seems a tad closed. But the Extreme Fit is touted as a fade biased driver though.
For those who prefers a more compact, sleek look, then the Extreme Fit may interest you.
Seriously, one cannot go wrong with either of these drivers in terms of looks as Callaway goes 'retro' to golfing roots in producing drivers with traditional head shape. Real pleasing to the eyes!
That, to me, is a huge plus one!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Now for the hit test.......

1st up.....my trusty Razr Fit.

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review 8376578224_4ff01b8ab9

No need to say much. Pic tells it all. No problem hitting the sweet spot whatsoever. Ball flight was decent and piercing with a slight draw. No complaints. It is a stayer in my bag.

Next up is the XHot......

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review 8376578526_6bbf3f0dd2

Really easy to launch this head even though this is the first time I am hitting it. Feels almost like the Razr Fit in terms of feel, impact and sound.
Muted sounding and absorbed kinda feel upon impact.

Almost like a twin brother lost in translation somehow.....anyhow, the ball flight was distinctly higher than the Razr Fit.
From a fellow ranger's Bushnell, the carry was longer than the Razr Fit though it does not have as much roll as the Razr Fit.
Hit a few more times.....and came away convinced that this is one helluva easy to hit driver.
The forgiveness is there, even on mishits. Dispersion decent. The average golfers will like this a lot. As told by a golfing kaki, this head is a high spin head.
And from the design of it, it seems that the Callaway engineers have pushed the weighting all the way back from the face. So maybe those factors accounts for the higher ball flight than my Razr Fit.

And finally....the star of the show (IMO).....the Extreme Fit.

For the 1st pic, had it on 1g weight at toe and 9 gram at heel with square setting.

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review 8376578798_def717f120

Ball flight was distinctly lower and seems more piercing. From a rough look, the ball seems/feels like spinning a lot lesser.
At this setting, I found that I gotta really focus and pay 100% to hitting it. Else, the outcome can be quite offish.
Having said that, upon getting the sweet spot, the feel and ball flight is just lovely.
The feel upon impact for this devil is a nice metallic, springy feel off the face. Some would use the word, 'hot' to describe it.
It is a different feel compared to the XHot and Razr Fit which are more muted and 'absorbed'.

The Extreme Fit just feels like it wants to launch the ball out as soon as possible with the least impact. Very nice metallic twang to it.

Still, there was something about the impact that I was not happy with so I changed the setting to 'Closed' with the same toe & heel weightings.
And here it is......

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review 8376579006_345f3a5660

What can I say? Instant better contact feel and impact. Hits were even sweeter and more towards the sweet spot.
That's it! This is the setting for me! Ball flight went slightly higher as compared to 'Square' setting. Flight still as penetrating.
Simply fantastic!

cheers

So at the end of it, if you are looking for a fuss free driver that gives you the forgiveness and ease of mind to just setup and tee off while giving you the distance, the XHot is the one driver to get.
It is so unbelievable that a driver can be so idiot proof.
But as this is a high spinning head, so perhaps when doing the driver fitting, you may want to get a low spinning shaft to match it since it launches pretty decent already.
In essence, it is a driver for those who need higher spin to maximize launch conditions to get the carry distance.
Personally, if I do not already have the Razr Fit, I would get this.

As for the Extreme Fit, it is a true diablo to handle. If handled well (correct weighting and setting), it can give you devilish distance and instant orgasm upon hitting the sweet spot.
It's low spin conditions makes it suitable for golfers who are already capable of launching the ball up. Fitting wise, a mid or high spin shaft would be most ideal for maximum distance.

So this is it.....an amateurish write up of the two new Callaway offerings coming this year.
And boy, both drivers deliver on all accounts.Definitely something to get for your birthday or get your partners to get it for you for next month's Valentine's Day.

Thank you DGman for your graciousness in letting me try out these 'virgin' heads today.

cheers

p.s. Psst.....I think an on-course review is needed for these beauties. Do I get to keep one of them as a birthday present? 'hint...hint'

Razz

Last edited by asahi on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sagiteric
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 12:09 am

Nice review! Both the X Hot and Extreme X are awesome!

Back to top Go down
Fronzenre
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 1:03 am

thanks for review! looks great aesthetically too, the extreme x
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 7:41 am

Great review bro...the $64,000 question: Are you switching to either driver or staying put on the trusty gamer?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 7:59 am

wah write so much...so when you buying? cannot decide? buy both. Anyway you already know the Fit Xtreme you holding is different from the retail version with the different sole and pvd black face.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 8:48 am

Good review, Asahi! Glad you got a chance to take it out for a spin. I agree with the rest... when are you making the switch?
Back to top Go down
schnell
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
schnell

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 8:50 am

Ah..so you are the lucky dude that brought the heads out for a spin. I was the guy that was at the den to do my wedges on sat..great to have kinda met you haha!

Your review of the xhot has kinda make up my mind for my next driver lol..have a great week ahead..
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:23 am

good and objective review.....

ask your LPGA kaki to get one for you LOL.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
nicasio
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:48 am

Asahi, u are the lucky one to get to try this beauties....great to hear your review.

Dgman,
Next month is my birthday month.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:58 am

next month i am away......watch out for pictures at you know where......
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:06 am

nicasio wrote:
Asahi, u are the lucky one to get to try this beauties....great to hear your review.

Dgman,
Next month is my birthday month.... Very Happy

Can do it this month, follow lunar calendar cheers
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:37 am

Asahi....i notice that there are sky marks on your own Razr Fit driver.....its like going to a promotion interview and with shoes are not polished and worse still, scratched.....

best one i have heard is a gentleman who owns many sets of wedges, he told me that he cannot have just 1 set cos its like packing 3 underwear for a 5 day trip.

DGman

Last edited by DGman on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Awesome review, we should have more reviews like this esp when we hv new launch demo days..

Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 2:19 pm

For a moment I tot you are using steel for your driver... (refer to first pic)
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 2:35 pm

DGman wrote:

I hope so leh.....but can only dream lah....hahahahaha

The battle scars on the Fit are just reminders (some say excuses) for me to get another WMD.
It is only a matter of choice.

@Techno & crayon33, best if I can have both. Now just waiting......hehehe

p.s. very tempted to hijack these two for another week but knowing DGman, the mob squad probably out searching for me already. Thank goodness I am safe in my current work area.

Razz
Back to top Go down
nicasio
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 pm

DGman wrote:
next month i am away......watch out for pictures at you know where......

I will follow u then..... Swing
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 9:36 pm

asahi wrote:
DGman wrote:

The battle scars on the Fit are just reminders (some say excuses) for me to get another WMD.

p.s. very tempted to hijack these two for another week but knowing DGman, the mob squad probably out searching for me already. Thank goodness I am safe in my current work area.

Razz

Luckily you sent it back on time and the most kan cheong golfer who wanted to see the heads is Sadam....
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 4:52 am

Sorry to side track alittle.
Not sure if anyone can enlighten the club head weight of Razr Fit, Razr Fit extreme & X-Hot?
I am subscribing to DGman's theory of overall club weight is important (correct me if i miss quote you DGman).
The sad part is the over all club weight or club head weight is not always readily available.

Thank you all.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 pm

[quote="DGman"]
asahi wrote:
DGman wrote:

Razz [/quot

Luckily you sent it back on time and the most kan cheong golfer who wanted to see the heads is Sadam....

The way Sadam was drooling over the devilish Extreme Fit.......hahahahaha

Any chance of him using it in the UN game?

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 1:21 pm

the Razr fit is versatile in the sense that there are weight ports to help adjust desired total and swing weight. its possible to do it on the X Hot cos our team have been building according to specs for the Asian Tour players so we have the documented experience to help us in that area.

as for the UN game, slinger has to go to a foreign land to indulge in some shopping (Mrs Slinger shop and he pay) cos he must have been caught playing too much golf recently.

as for Sadam its like looking at an ice cream but still cannot touch cos you are on a diet. i was very sure he love the Xtreme in O position

DGman
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Thks to DGman, for letting me try the x-hot out with the trackman today. I can only it's sweet even for a lousy golfer like me can hit with confident. One thing to add, the x hot fw definitely looks good.
Back to top Go down
nicasio
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:54 pm

I wish I can try those beauties...fun to see so many new drivers coming out this year....
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 pm

i am watching your equipment list.....
Back to top Go down
nicasio
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 10:24 pm

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review   Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Callaway 2013 Drivers Review - An Amateur's Review
Page 1 of 1