Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Please comment on my swing.

Go down 
+23
PinkPanther
asahi
weesern
4dtoto
Technospaz
slinger
watermyforrest
Khorkar
bomby
alvinlee
skybobo
jimmychoo
RegiT
and68low
Duval_S
nientsu
duffader
Ssquirrel
sandkie
ghoonk
S70B
shamusan
TigaWood
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 2:47 pm

seebayho wrote:
ghoonk wrote:
Ask a coach. Every coach I know says don't shift.

I didn't believe it myself, but according to my Suunto G6 Pro golf watch, I lose around 8 mph on my swing every time I shift, and that hurts my accuracy and distance

Lend me your G6, if confirm lesser by 8mph I will stop the F...... sliding.
BTW where to get that watch?

I got mine from the US. Bought it used for just USD265 and it has been a pretty useful tool (and depressing too) - A Doppler-based swing speed meter measured my 7i swing speed at 78 mph, while the G6 reports that I'm only clocking in at 70 mph. Either way, I'm going get less obsessed about swing speed and focus instead on tempo and quality of strike, since I've noticed that even at 69 mph, my 7i will clock in a good 150 yards with decent accuracy

Either way, no problem, we can meet for a range session. Quite straightforward, just put it on, set the club, and swing. I will bring my notebook along as well so we can map the swing data. Would be even better if we had a laser rangefinder so we can map the swing data to distance as well. Been thinking of buying aused Bushnell 1600 Slope edition, but have been holding back due to budget constraints
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 9:59 pm

I really looking forward to play with Ghoonk come November... with his knowledge, i believe his practical is even better. Lose to him also shiok.....
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 10:39 pm

you wish. like i said, my understanding of the swing is better than my ability to implement Razz
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 11:59 pm

ghoonk wrote:
only one flaw i can see so far - on your downswing, your hips are shifting slightly, THEN rotating, which means you will have a tendency to push/shank/slice.

aside from that, everything looks pretty good.

Huh???? are u serious ??? are u saying on down swing you dont shift your hips ever so slightly at all ! or are u saying rotate your hips first than shift your hips to the left(right handed) or dont shift at all ??? with all thats will have less tendency of push/shank/slice????

Who teach you that! or where u learn that !

Back to top Go down
RegiT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 12:35 am

and68low wrote:
ghoonk wrote:
only one flaw i can see so far - on your downswing, your hips are shifting slightly, THEN rotating, which means you will have a tendency to push/shank/slice.

Huh???? are u serious ??? are u saying on down swing you dont shift your hips ever so slightly at all ! or are u saying rotate your hips first than shift your hips to the left(right handed) or dont shift at all ??? with all thats will have less tendency of push/shank/slice????

I agree with and68. Where u get this from ghoonk. Reading too much and listening to too many sifu. You talk like scratch player and fancy equipment. What score u play. Best to let the real pros advise.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 1:05 am

and68low wrote:
ghoonk wrote:
only one flaw i can see so far - on youRegITr downswing, your hips are shifting slightly, THEN rotating, which means you will have a tendency to push/shank/slice.

I said keeping the hips quiet, not completely still. By resisting the shift, the unwinding of your upper body against your lower body will naturally release the hips in a controlled manner, rather than getting sloppy and allowing the shift to change your impact position.

There are many schools of thought out there about the hip shift - some would point out that Ben Hogan put the shift to good effect, while others will argue that the hip shift causes timing issues that are compensated by other parts of the swing. Speak to any of the coaches on the forum and you will probably hear that one of the most common problems with amateur/social golfers is that the hips get out of position, resulting in all kinds of follow-on fixes.

I haven't actually read any of this, just been pointed out to me over the years (tendency to sway/shift), and looking around on Google, I found this:

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/downswing.htm <-- i guess this is supposed to be a 'scientific' way of rationalizing the fix for swaying

http://www.somaxsports.com/HaneyTigersSwing.htm <-- another interesting point of view, this time using Tiger's swing as a point of discussion.

http://www.performancegolfinstitute.com/articles/swing-faults/ <-- pretty interesting reading. Wish i found the bit about swaying sooner!

and68low and RegiT - I never said I played scratch or that I even play well. Where you got that impression, I don't know, but I don't quite appreciate your condescending tone of voice. If you have a problem with what I said, criticise the point and not the person making the point.

While I remain open to criticism, I don't appreciate personal attacks. Smile

Last edited by ghoonk on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 1:15 am

ghoonk wrote:

since I've noticed that even at 69 mph, my 7i will clock in a good 150 yards with decent accuracy
With a 69 mph SS, your 7 iron can go for 150 yards? I think it's 79 mph is it? Don't bluff me leh.... Suspect

I am also looking forward to play with you but on 1 condition, only can talk about my swing after the game so we can judge whether you shall talk about my swing or I talk about your swing. How about that? I love you

Btw, for your reference why I say you try to bluff me,

Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 LPGAtouraverages

Check the SS of the LPGA ladies and what distance they get. Unless you are trying to tell me you always top your ball Laughing
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 1:20 am

jimmychoo wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

since I've noticed that even at 69 mph, my 7i will clock in a good 150 yards with decent accuracy
With a 69 mph SS, your 7 iron can go for 150 yards? I think it's 79 mph is it? Don't bluff me leh.... Suspect

I am also looking forward to play with you but on 1 condition, only can talk about my swing after the game so we can judge whether you shall talk about my swing or I talk about your swing. How about that? I love you

Btw, for your reference why I say you try to bluff me,

Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 LPGAtouraverages

Check the SS of the LPGA ladies and what distance they get. Unless you are trying to tell me you always top your ball Laughing

jimmy, I'm getting that reading from the Suunto G6 Pro. i can share that data with you if you like. Like I said, I found it odd that the Doppler-type swing meter at GH Dubai Mall showed a higher swing speed than what the Suunto was showing.

You seem to think I have something to prove. I'm assuring you that I have nothing to prove. I play the game for the fun of the game, which is why I very rarely ever gamble. Personally, i don't think I'm at the standard where I can challenge anyone and be confident of walking away with a win, but if someone asks for comments, and I have been down a certain mistake/lesson where what I have learned may be of value to the person requesting for info, I won't hesitate to share.

Likewise, you're welcome to talk about my swing all you want. It's not the prettiest swing out there, but it works for me (at least for the time being). I'm still struggling to develop more lag, more accuracy and more consistency. During the process of trying to sort out the accuracy, video analysis was showing that I had two main problems - hip shift on the downswing when I'm trying to muscle the shot, and pelvic thrust during the downswing. To solve this problem, my coach has been getting me to do some things:

1. on the backswing, feel as though you are rotating the shoulders around the neck, while resisting movement of the lower body. While this is physically impossible (preventing hips from moving), the conscious resistance causes the hip to rotate rather than to shift (at least in my case)

2. on the downswing, feel the shoulders rotate around the neck, again, while trying to keep the lower body 'quiet' -- perhaps this was my coach's way of getting me to stop swaying, which still is a problem for me when I'm tired or rushing

3. this one wasn't something my coach here taught me, but was something someone at the den taught me some time back -- keeping my knees a bit more bent, standing one ball closer to the ball that i used to. In doing so, this tip prevented me from swaying -- with bent knees, I can't sway as much, and the rotation tends to be more upper body than lower body (hence a 'quieter' lower body).

oddly enough, I don't top the ball as much as before, but I still have the tendency to stand too tall over the ball, and with a driver / fairway wood/hybrid, this usually puts me into the right rough. blee, pushslice, watermyforest can all attest to that Sad

I have, on many occasions, asked why coaches don't step in to comment on swing problems and fixes, which would certainly lend a more credible view on the actual fault and corresponding fix.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 am

There are many ways to swing a club.
What works for one may not work for others.

Similarly, in a forum, each is entitled to voice his/her opinion.
Its up to the individual to decide whether to take it.

Likewise in a golf book, there are countless of golf tips....
Some are even contradiciting one another
At the end of the day, you have to decide which tips works for you and move on from there

Email...or rather type written words on a forum has no tone
The tone is rather determine by the one reading it.
Many times, its harmless.

Dear all, its just a game. While some take it very seriously, most of us would just enjoy the 4.5 hours out on course tcss with like minded buddies....

May the BEST TEAM win the Ryder Cup
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 1:46 am

ghoonk wrote:

jimmy, I'm getting that reading from the Suunto G6 Pro. i can share that data with you if you like. Like I said, I found it odd that the Doppler-type swing meter at GH Dubai Mall showed a higher swing speed than what the Suunto was showing.

You seem to think I have something to prove. I'm assuring you that I have nothing to prove. I play the game for the fun of the game, which is why I very rarely ever gamble. Personally, i don't think I'm at the standard where I can challenge anyone and be confident of walking away with a win, but if someone asks for comments, and I have been down a certain mistake/lesson where what I have learned may be of value to the person requesting for info, I won't hesitate to share.

I have, on many occasions, asked why coaches don't step in to comment on swing problems and fixes, which would certainly lend a more credible view on the actual fault and corresponding fix
I think your Suunto confirmed to give you wrong information or you are inputting wrong data to it. You will need about 78~82 mph ss on a 7 iron to get 150 yards "carry".

I don't think you are trying to prove anything but I would like you to prove something so whatever you wrote will be more convincing. How I wish you are the real coach, you always have so many theories to share. But your word make me confused - if you can't execute the swing thought, how you know that other can do it and benefit from it? It's just like I recommend a club to my friend telling him how good is the club but in actual fact I have never touch that club before. You got what I mean? Rolling Eyes

I have never thought of betting or gamble with you but I just want to have a game with you and see how you swing. Maybe I can learn something from your swing? Smile
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 1:55 am

jimmychoo wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

I have, on many occasions, asked why coaches don't step in to comment on swing problems and fixes, which would certainly lend a more credible view on the actual fault and corresponding fix
I think your Suunto confirmed to give you wrong information or you are inputting wrong data to it. You will need about 78~82 mph ss on a 7 iron to get 150 yards "carry".

I don't think you are trying to prove anything but I would like you to prove something so whatever you wrote will be more convincing. How I wish you are the real coach, you always have so many theories to share. But your word make me confused - if you can't execute the swing thought, how you know that other can do it and benefit from it? It's just like I recommend a club to my friend telling him how good is the club but in actual fact I have never touch that club before. You got what I mean? Rolling Eyes

I have never thought of betting or gamble with you but I just want to have a game with you and see how you swing. Maybe I can learn something from your swing? Smile

150 yards carry? I wish, bro Smile I hit it 150 yards WITH roll Razz

My yardages (with roll) are around:

PW - 110-115 yards
9i - 125 yards
8i - 135-140 yards
7i - 150-155 yards
6i - 160 yards
5i - 170 yards
4i - 180 yards
3i - 190 yards
5w - 200 yards, but accuracy problem
3w - 220 yards, bu accuracy problem
driver - 240 yards

And I'm not the one who thinks he's got a good swing. For me, i can pretty much execute my swing with some reasonable level of consistency. And what I share, it's from personal experience, not from reading golf magazines, or online forums. Some guys here think I have a pretty okay swing, but personally there are a lot of faults I'm trying to fix -- i'm seeing faults because I'm not consistent, which means that something is going wrong somewhere

And you're right about equipment - i don't suggest stuff I personally haven't tried. I do share what I hear about stuff, and do mention if it is 2nd hand info.

And yes, let's have a game. If you want to see if my swing is anything remotely decent, that's fine by me, but I'm playing for the fun of playing Smile
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 8:36 am

Ghoonk, with your size and physic. Cannot be hitting so short leh. Maybe it's the lack of hip movement that is causing the short distance, I dun really know. In my opinion, even if all the pros that u have spoken to may not be right. Without the hip sliding a lil, it's seems difficult to get the left side firm on impact. If there a way to transfer the weight if u are only rotating and no hip clearance?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 am

wah piang...with all these autobiography of Ghoon's ability....the game @ Nov will a GEM!!!!!

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 8:45 am

Duval_S wrote:
wah piang...with all these autobiography of Ghoon's ability....the game @ Nov will a GEM!!!!!

Yah man, so excited abt it and hopefully same flight. If he hits it further than wat he mention, then I will call him sand bagger Liao.
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 9:17 am

ghoonk wrote:
and68low wrote:
ghoonk wrote:
only one flaw i can see so far - on youRegITr downswing, your hips are shifting slightly, THEN rotating, which means you will have a tendency to push/shank/slice.

I said keeping the hips quiet, not completely still. By resisting the shift, the unwinding of your upper body against your lower body will naturally release the hips in a controlled manner, rather than getting sloppy and allowing the shift to change your impact position.

There are many schools of thought out there about the hip shift - some would point out that Ben Hogan put the shift to good effect, while others will argue that the hip shift causes timing issues that are compensated by other parts of the swing. Speak to any of the coaches on the forum and you will probably hear that one of the most common problems with amateur/social golfers is that the hips get out of position, resulting in all kinds of follow-on fixes.

I haven't actually read any of this, just been pointed out to me over the years (tendency to sway/shift), and looking around on Google, I found this:

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/downswing.htm <-- i guess this is supposed to be a 'scientific' way of rationalizing the fix for swaying

http://www.somaxsports.com/HaneyTigersSwing.htm <-- another interesting point of view, this time using Tiger's swing as a point of discussion.

http://www.performancegolfinstitute.com/articles/swing-faults/ <-- pretty interesting reading. Wish i found the bit about swaying sooner!

and68low and RegiT - I never said I played scratch or that I even play well. Where you got that impression, I don't know, but I don't quite appreciate your condescending tone of voice. If you have a problem with what I said, criticise the point and not the person making the point.

While I remain open to criticism, I don't appreciate personal attacks. Smile

Hello Gnook, Did i ever said you are a scratch player,criticise you or having a personal attack on you ?, I just merely asked you where you learn that from ?? Yes, Now I have a problem with you and what you said !, and thats why i am asking you to grow up, and take others comment like a grown up and be responsible for what you post !
BTW, read the thread carefully! you are been ridicule by some and and making fun off and you dont even know it !!!! Have fun posting because everyone who knows golf are laughing at you so hard till tears flowing down!!
And dont bother to reply me, because I am not interested in your sensitive, child like manner! Now i am Criticising YOU!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 9:46 am

ghoonk wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

150 yards carry? I wish, bro Smile I hit it 150 yards WITH roll Razz

My yardages (with roll) are around:

PW - 110-115 yards
9i - 125 yards
8i - 135-140 yards
7i - 150-155 yards
6i - 160 yards
5i - 170 yards
4i - 180 yards
3i - 190 yards
5w - 200 yards, but accuracy problem
3w - 220 yards, bu accuracy problem
driver - 240 yards

And I'm not the one who thinks he's got a good swing. For me, i can pretty much execute my swing with some reasonable level of consistency. And what I share, it's from personal experience, not from reading golf magazines, or online forums. Some guys here think I have a pretty okay swing, but personally there are a lot of faults I'm trying to fix -- i'm seeing faults because I'm not consistent, which means that something is going wrong somewhere

And you're right about equipment - i don't suggest stuff I personally haven't tried. I do share what I hear about stuff, and do mention if it is 2nd hand info.

And yes, let's have a game. If you want to see if my swing is anything remotely decent, that's fine by me, but I'm playing for the fun of playing Smile

Bro, i think you need to change coach, because he is shortening your distances. I manage to find this thread that you posted previously. THe following is what you wrote in the kajiki thread.

"Just back from a round at the Abu Dhabi Golf Club with jurongtiger. Had a chance to properly game the R510TP w/ Kajiki stiff shaft.

Mishits go around 240 yds. Average distance around 270 yds, peaking at 302 yards (according to GPS)."

Back to top Go down
alvinlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 10:14 am

peace to all.. Very Happy
i think we should stick to commenting on SBH's swing..

anyway SBH, when i played with you before, i didnt realise that you have (i think) a swing similar to RSS. In the sense your left knee doesnt move to the right.
Mine does and creates alot of lateral movement to the right. Hence i need to incoporate a lateral movement BACK to the left first before i turn my hips.
My 2 cents worth...so in your case of minimal movement to right on your backswing, maybe you do not need the movement back to the left before you rotate your hips.

did i just confuse all??
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 11:15 am

duffader wrote:

Bro, i think you need to change coach, because he is shortening your distances. I manage to find this thread that you posted previously. THe following is what you wrote in the kajiki thread.

"Just back from a round at the Abu Dhabi Golf Club with jurongtiger. Had a chance to properly game the R510TP w/ Kajiki stiff shaft.

Mishits go around 240 yds. Average distance around 270 yds, peaking at 302 yards (according to GPS)."

IMHO.. the distance he post seems quite decent.. if it is accurate and have that kind of distances.. I think it is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 11:20 am

bomby wrote:
duffader wrote:

IMHO.. the distance he post seems quite decent.. if it is accurate and have that kind of distances.. I think it is a good thing.

The distances are definitely decent, just that curious to see the steep decrease in distances. Thats why i want to point out to him.270 yards whch is the tour average and 240 yards is like 27m difference... 3 club difference in distnace is really alot.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Guys

It's a discussion.

SBH's title already said 'Please comment on my swing'.

While some comments may sound totally far off from what we are accustomed to have learnt, we should all listen with an open mind and if there is a debate, keep it objective.

Andrew, I dun think he was calling u out, I think he just lumped RegiT's post n urs together so that's where the misunderstanding is.

I am for the fact that the hip shifting has nothing to do with the flaws. Perhaps when Ghoonk comes back, he can explain it personally at BFG what he means. It's better than trying to digest a whole block of text.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 12:27 pm

PHEW!!!!!! sigh of relief....
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 12:39 pm

with regard to the swing, i'm in no place to comment as a 9 month long golfer...

however, i do agree with S70B that i do not believe that ghook was calling you out Captain. Me thinks it was just a misunderstanding... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Peace and golf... I buy a round of coffee and pauz, we all sit down at the den and TCSS.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 12:52 pm

Wow didn't realize that this thread is so hot ... Mr. Chairman and Mr. Tour Slut... Peace.. Nothing that can't be solved over beers and some good cigars (let me know if my meaty buns help - I will bring them to the den anytime).
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Cool... write things on the forum.. got free makan and drinks... guys, dun leave me out when the time comes hor. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please comment on my swing.
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next