Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Please comment on my swing.

Go down 
+23
PinkPanther
asahi
weesern
4dtoto
Technospaz
slinger
watermyforrest
Khorkar
bomby
alvinlee
skybobo
jimmychoo
RegiT
and68low
Duval_S
nientsu
duffader
Ssquirrel
sandkie
ghoonk
S70B
shamusan
TigaWood
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

Please comment on my swing.  Empty
PostSubject: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 11:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQrdd7Wn8hI
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 11:35 pm

Bro...

1. i like the shorts

2. its hard to see from the horizontal angle lah

3. but from what i can see, its very smooth and stable...

now i know why you can use blades so effectively...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 11:44 pm

My neck hurts... Razz
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:07 am

only one flaw i can see so far - on your downswing, your hips are shifting slightly, THEN rotating, which means you will have a tendency to push/shank/slice.

aside from that, everything looks pretty good.
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:45 am

Is it at CDAN? Colin, which day do you usually practice there?

Is this your full swing? At back swing the club is only at 12 o'clock...
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 1:03 am

there are many pros who don't take the shaft to parallel on the backswing. You only need to turn back as much as you need it to be accurate and consistent
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 7:26 am

ghoonk wrote:
only one flaw i can see so far - on your downswing, your hips are shifting slightly, THEN rotating, which means you will have a tendency to push/shank/slice.

What is wrong with hips shifting then rotating? I always felt that was the "power" move you see in good golfers/ that "closed hip bump".

Please comment on my swing.  2h3udxj

From this back view of this golfer, we can the difference between a lateral and a rotational move. This golfer starts the transition with a "closed hip bump", (his hips have not yet rotated back, you can see the creases in the sweater) but he shifts/bumps the hips and then rotates/uncoil.. "POW! Boom!". If you read and or watch Mike Austin (the old dude who supposedly has some long driver record); that hip movement, is one of his "magic moves".

Then again, i don't know much lah, so I can't tell if swing is good or bad from videos, etc. I only know if results are good or bad. albino
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 8:27 am

The master have spoken....I think down swing sure have hip movement in order to generate the power. As long dun cha cha, then should be good.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 11:59 am

Ask a coach. Every coach I know says don't shift.

I didn't believe it myself, but according to my Suunto G6 Pro golf watch, I lose around 8 mph on my swing every time I shift, and that hurts my accuracy and distance

Let's check with seebayho if the symptoms (fade/push/slice, inconsistent distance) I suggested earlier are consistent with what I suspect to be a potential trouble area. If not, then it's not a problem for him as much as it was for me when I was showing the same movement in my video analysis.

These days, I try to rotate around my waist/hip, keeping lower body as quiet as possible, while rotating the top as much as I can without 'pulling' the hip back with me, then release the clubhead with as much of a relaxed 'feel' as possible. Started to notice that when I tense up and try to smash the ball on the downswing, all kinds of bad things happen, as compared to when I stay loose with my hands (light grip) and arms through the downswing and let the club do the work instead.

Stumbled back on this 'lesson' yesterday after fighting my swing for a good 16 holes, and decided to 'give up' crushing the ball and took an easy swing instead, and voila, better contact, same distance, better accuracy. The rest of the round went much better after that, and an extra 30 minutes at the range with the relaxed swing seemed to confirm this suspicion as well. Also noticed that with less tension, I don't grip the club as hard, hence less likely to shut the clubface through impact that leads to a hook.

seebayho - can you describe the ballflight and consistency of strike when you made that swing video? high? low? penetrating? fade? pull? push? hook? slice?
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:12 pm

Correct me if I am wrong. Lateral shift wud result in a delofting of the club face. ??????
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:47 pm

nientsu wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong. Lateral shift wud result in a delofting of the club face. ??????

Yes, you are right....that is why my trajectory is low. A good reminder for me to turn hip more.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:49 pm

shamusan wrote:
Bro...

1. i like the shorts

2. its hard to see from the horizontal angle lah

3. but from what i can see, its very smooth and stable...

now i know why you can use blades so effectively...

My shorts is not for sale lol!
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:51 pm

S70B wrote:
My neck hurts... Razz

First time using that camera! Did not know it doesn't change orientation automatically.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:56 pm

taskie wrote:
Is it at CDAN? Colin, which day do you usually practice there?

Is this your full swing? At back swing the club is only at 12 o'clock...

Yes, it's at CDAN...goes there on an impromtu.
20 years ago my hand reach up to 12 o'clock, 10 yeras later it drop to 11 o'clock.
Now is at 10 o'clock......working hard to push back to 11 o'clock. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:59 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

What is wrong with hips shifting then rotating? I always felt that was the "power" move you see in good golfers/ that "closed hip bump".

From this back view of this golfer, we can the difference between a lateral and a rotational move. This golfer starts the transition with a "closed hip bump", (his hips have not yet rotated back, you can see the creases in the sweater) but he shifts/bumps the hips and then rotates/uncoil.. "POW! Boom!". If you read and or watch Mike Austin (the old dude who supposedly has some long driver record); that hip movement, is one of his "magic moves".

Then again, i don't know much lah, so I can't tell if swing is good or bad from videos, etc. I only know if results are good or bad. albino

Wow, tiger copy my swing ah? ROFL
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 1:09 pm

ghoonk wrote:
Let's check with seebayho if the symptoms (fade/push/slice, inconsistent distance) I suggested earlier are consistent with what I suspect to be a potential trouble area. If not, then it's not a problem for him as much as it was for me when I was showing the same movement in my video analysis.

These days, I try to rotate around my waist/hip, keeping lower body as quiet as possible, while rotating the top as much as I can without 'pulling' the hip back with me, then release the clubhead with as much of a relaxed 'feel' as possible. Started to notice that when I tense up and try to smash the ball on the downswing, all kinds of bad things happen, as compared to when I stay loose with my hands (light grip) and arms through the downswing and let the club do the work instead.

The funny thing is both work for me.
The lateral movement was learnt from some books(leadbetter)
But when I was station in Bangkok a very good Thai coach ask me to turn my left hip instead of sliding.
Yah it was more effective and consistent.
So now, I still have this little lateral movement left behind.
However, something I do better when I take a bigger lateral movement to the left.
Could this due to better weight transfer?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 1:11 pm

Just pure raw talent !!!!!
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 1:12 pm

ghoonk wrote:

I didn't believe it myself, but according to my Suunto G6 Pro golf watch, I lose around 8 mph on my swing every time I shift, and that hurts my accuracy and distance

Lend me your G6, if confirm lesser by 8mph I will stop the F...... sliding.
BTW where to get that watch?
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 1:16 pm

ghoonk wrote:

My bad shorts are usually confine to push as for ball striking it's top.
What is the cause for this?
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 1:20 pm

ghoonk wrote:

Yes, if I keep my lower body quite it works for consistency but lacks power leh.
Have I missed out something?
The relax feel will give me very good ball striking.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 1:27 pm

ghoonk wrote:

seebayho - can you describe the ballflight and consistency of strike when you made that swing video? high? low? penetrating? fade? pull? push? hook? slice?

This video was taken by my friend who is a club fitter from Uganda.
He told me I should cock my wrist at the top to prevent me casting club.

The ball flight is not high nor penetrating it was quite straight with slight draw.
As usual it is short of my desire distant Laughing
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

I think both are right, actually lateral or turning the hip works for me.
Sometime what the books and coaches teach make sense, but we could not execute what they really mean.
Only we, ourself can feel the actual movements and see results if it works
As what Rex has correctly put it........the best way to learn golf is through self discovery.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 2:28 pm

nientsu wrote:

yes and no. depends on whether you panic and end up trying to accelerate your hands past the ball to compensate for the shift, which will result either in a pull/hook.

Assuming that no compensation is made, one could argue that the clubface gets delofted very slightly, and a push ensues.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

This pic doesn't tell me where the ball went. Keep in mind that these are professionals, i.e. they train and play every single day. golf is their JOB. For many of us, we don't have the luxury or funds for a full-time coach and facilities, and time for training and playing. These pros are also able to compensate on many levels, and most amateurs barely get away with the slightest swing flaw since we're not 'out there' long enough to be able to figure what's wrong and have a coach on hand to work things out with.

Also, let's agree that TW isn't exactly the most accurate guy out there at the moment. Wink
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 2:35 pm

seebayho wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

The funny thing is both work for me.
The lateral movement was learnt from some books(leadbetter)
But when I was station in Bangkok a very good Thai coach ask me to turn my left hip instead of sliding.
Yah it was more effective and consistent.
So now, I still have this little lateral movement left behind.
However, something I do better when I take a bigger lateral movement to the left.
Could this due to better weight transfer?

okay, let me clarify - the weight shift isn't what is used to initiate the swing. The weight shift is a by-product of a sound swing. If you rotate through your hips and focus on keeping them still, there is no way in hell that ANYONE, professional or otherwise, is going to be able to prevent a shift short of being in a wheelchair. But the point of quietening the hips ensures that

a. timing is not compromised, or that timing now becomes a new variable among many others that could mess up your shot
b. that the energy in releasing the club is focused in the unwinding of the upper body instead of leaking power.

If you focus on ROTATION, and minimize (elimination is impossible) SHIFT, you'll see more power and control.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing.    Please comment on my swing.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please comment on my swing.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next