Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?

Go down 
+3
4dtoto
Ssquirrel
sammies
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sammies
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? Empty
PostSubject: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi all,

I recently bought a set of 2nd hand Ping i10s.

Went to the range, and immediately noticed significantly higher trajectory and lost distance (at least 1 iron short).

Any ideas on the cause?

The i10s are fitted with the original Ping steel AWT shafts.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Regards,

Sam
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 11:59 pm

The AWT shafts fly high for me too...
But... what were your old set? Maybe the lofts were just stronger on the old set? Very Happy

My bridgestone J33 combo have more "traditional lofts" so is sometimes 1 club shorter than my kakis.. I think it's more important to know which club hit what distances...
Back to top Go down
sammies
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:07 am

Ssquirrel wrote:
The AWT shafts fly high for me too...
But... what were your old set? Maybe the lofts were just stronger on the old set? Very Happy

My bridgestone J33 combo have more "traditional lofts" so is sometimes 1 club shorter than my kakis.. I think it's more important to know which club hit what distances...

Hi Ssquirrel... thanks for the quick response!!

My old set of clubs were "cheap" clubs from pine meadow... after reading your post, I went to compare the loft angles...

You were right... the pinemeadows were less lofted than the pings... about 4 degrees

I used to hit my 9 iron 120M... and increase about 10M for each iron up... now with the i10s, my 9 iron goes only about 100M and 7 iron about 120M at best

Do you think a change in shafts will help the problem a little?

Rgds,

Sam
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:09 am

AWT shaft is meant to be a low kick shaft and thus higher ball flight. After knowing wat is the previous set, loft cud be one reason.

However, swing too can affect the ball flight.

I used to use a i10 set, at first I feel the same as what you are feeling. After some time and asking around, i10 sets, you need to really hit hard at the ball in order to get the distance but even if lost 1 iron distance, accuracy is very good fro this set. Most important is consistant distance in using the same iron.

If you still find the flight too high, change the shaft like what I did to the AWT shaft.
Back to top Go down
sammies
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:14 am

4dtoto wrote:
AWT shaft is meant to be a low kick shaft and thus higher ball flight. After knowing wat is the previous set, loft cud be one reason.

However, swing too can affect the ball flight.

I used to use a i10 set, at first I feel the same as what you are feeling. After some time and asking around, i10 sets, you need to really hit hard at the ball in order to get the distance but even if lost 1 iron distance, accuracy is very good fro this set. Most important is consistant distance in using the same iron.

If you still find the flight too high, change the shaft like what I did to the AWT shaft.

*sigh*... should have done more research b4 getting the clubs...

I dont really like to swing hard... my old set... just a nice easy swing will get me those distances... but they were game iprovement irons... I guess thats the reason why? or no?

Are these typical of "players irons"? To have to swing harder to get the same distances as that of game improvement irons? Or is this just something particular to Ping?

For your i10s... what shafts did you change to?

I got my 2nd hand set from creativegolf... i wonder if Joe will allow me to bring them back to change for something else Embarassed
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:14 am

Actually I also have the same problem recently but mine is not due to club changes... I had been using TM RAC TP with NSPRO Steel Shaft.

I change my swing to RSS and my distance reduced 1 club too... Maybe my swing screwed up again... need to take "Extra" lesson liao... Sad

I also found online that most TM's Tour Preferred Irons have bigger loft angle than the normal Burner series... I tot TP should be lower loft??? Anyone can explained this?
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:24 am

hmmm i personally think distance are not tht important in clubs, tht's y we have so many diff loft to perform for diff dist....

impt tht you must feel comfortable and able to pull off the same dist/ same direction consistently.. if not, what's the point of hitting a 9 iron for 150m for one time and 130m for the other, not forgetting the direction too....
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:29 am

But it is kind of sad to see 7i only landing at marker stating 90.... Sad

A little off topic, anyone can advise OCC Range's marker is in Yard or Meter?

Of should I ask our local ranges, their marker is in Yard or Meter?
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:29 am

Why change the set?? It is s good set. How long have you been playing golf, if you dun mind me asking ? I sold my i10 to a friend after he keep pestering me to sell them to him.

I am now using a s57 set, but have since change to shalf due to high flight using the awt shaft.

Keep the set, it is a good set. Unless if you are a beginner and a g10 will probably be more suitable. Maybe I shud not say swing hard, but do not relax your swing when hitting balls.
Back to top Go down
sammies
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:30 am

jaketang wrote:
hmmm i personally think distance are not tht important in clubs, tht's y we have so many diff loft to perform for diff dist....

impt tht you must feel comfortable and able to pull off the same dist/ same direction consistently.. if not, what's the point of hitting a 9 iron for 150m for one time and 130m for the other, not forgetting the direction too....

totally agree with you

however, my main concern now with the change in clubs and lost distance is the gap that i now have with my 5 iron (new club) and 4 hybrid (old club that is still in the bag)

I guess if i want to keep the i10s then the only solution that i have is to either:

1) swing harder with the 5 iron
2) swing easier on the 4 hybrid
3) get new equipment to plug the gap
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:35 am

I think, practise it a few more times and you may find the difference in the 5I and 4h.

Just a suggestion only....it is cheaper to change 1 hybrid shaft than the whole set...maybe the 4 H after changing shaft may give you better distance...hehehehe..
Back to top Go down
sammies
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:37 am

4dtoto wrote:
Why change the set?? It is s good set. How long have you been playing golf, if you dun mind me asking ? I sold my i10 to a friend after he keep pestering me to sell them to him.

I am now using a s57 set, but have since change to shalf due to high flight using the awt shaft.

Keep the set, it is a good set. Unless if you are a beginner and a g10 will probably be more suitable. Maybe I shud not say swing hard, but do not relax your swing when hitting balls.

I have been playing for only about a year and a half.

Totally hooked on the game... go to the range about 3 times a week... and play on course at least twice a month...mostly score in the mid 90s

I THOUGHT it was time to change equipment to bring game to the next level... but that said... I guess maybe I havent had enough time with the i10s to really get used to it... right now I am hitting them solid... the consistency and accuracy that these clubs boasts is true... not to mention they are also quite forgiving on mishits... but I guess the sudden lost in distance that is also causing a gap between my 5 iron and 4 hybrid is causing quite a headache

Maybe I'll stick with the i10s for now
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:42 am

OT abit.... i play with a 4 hcp sometime early this year... he is using a beginner set or u can call game improvement set... he told me tht he doesn't practise often so the set will help him enjoy the game more....

well i think if we do not have or need the ability to shape shorts, i feel a norm set will do.... until we have a consistent swing (depends on how long u achieve tht), those players set might not suit us...

me myself is still learning the game too.. well i am using those beginner's adam's O2 irons....i am still trying to master all the clubs.. hahahahaha
Back to top Go down
sammies
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:59 am

jaketang wrote:
OT abit.... i play with a 4 hcp sometime early this year... he is using a beginner set or u can call game improvement set... he told me tht he doesn't practise often so the set will help him enjoy the game more....

well i think if we do not have or need the ability to shape shorts, i feel a norm set will do.... until we have a consistent swing (depends on how long u achieve tht), those players set might not suit us...

me myself is still learning the game too.. well i am using those beginner's adam's O2 irons....i am still trying to master all the clubs.. hahahahaha

You definitely have a point...

well... I'll make the best of my current situation and see where that takes me... might revert back to game improvement irons
Back to top Go down
sammies
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:08 am

jtek wrote:
But it is kind of sad to see 7i only landing at marker stating 90.... Sad

A little off topic, anyone can advise OCC Range's marker is in Yard or Meter?

Of should I ask our local ranges, their marker is in Yard or Meter?

I believe its in meters
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:33 am

So which model/make is consider as game improvement irons?
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 7:28 am

I believe it's the G series.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi Sammies,

the i10 with the AWT shafts is a very good set, so i urge you to stick with it for another couple of months to really get accustomed to it. It's more important to be accurate than to be long, so just let go of the ego (i know i know, it's easier said than done). What is important now is to know exactly the distance of every single club in your bag with your normal swing. Do not try to match the distance of your old set club-to-club by swinging harder cos your swing tempo will be off, & accuracies greatly compromised. You may even find that if you swing harder, your distances may actually drop due to bad contact on the clubface.

jtek wrote:
I also found online that most TM's Tour Preferred Irons have bigger loft angle than the normal Burner series... I tot TP should be lower loft??? Anyone can explained this?

Bro itek,

TM Tour Preferred is categorized as players irons, for mid to low handicappers. Better players irons are typically of standard lofts, or higher/weaker loft as compared to game improvement irons (GI). GI irons are supposed to help high handicappers play a little easier by having a oversized club face, thicker sole to prevent digging, lower/stronger lofts to give them more distance (& confidence), & bigger cavities to soften the impacts. Everything of such clubs is about forgiveness.

Hope that helps....
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi who8168, thanks for the explaination...

Then I should really consider a GI Irons to help me enjoy the game more... cos i got my used TP sets cheap and tot I die die practise with it will help me to improve once I master this set of TP irons.

So its shopping time again!!! Smile Bad news for my wife!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?   Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ping i10 - Lost Distance... Higher Trajectory... Cause?
Page 1 of 1