Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?

Go down 
+5
joshyo
JonL_TK
sob
Yarra
Denmeister
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? Empty
PostSubject: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 8:51 am

Hello all,

Just a bit of my current obeservations on my shaft experiments:

Using a Razr Fit 9.5 driver and interchanging with the following shafts:

1) Stock shaft, Aldila RIP'D NV Regular 60g
I get a lower trajectory with this shaft but lots of run. The total distance derived would be 20 to 30m more than the xcaliber. This shaft will be used on hot dry days when the conditions are perfect for running balls.

2) X Caliber SL (super light) Stiff 50g (not sure if that is the exact weight)
I get a much higher trajectory with this shaft although it is listed as a Stiff shaft. Better carry distance than shaft 1.

Apart from the above 2 shafts, I have experimented with the Tour AD DI 6s and could not launch it to save my life! My tee offs were like low punchouts from under the trees.

Now back to my question.

Will a lighter shaft produce a higher trajectory than a heavier shaft when both of them are listed as Stiff flex? And also of the same model.

I looked through the net and the BB5s has a torque of 4.3 while the 6s is 3.2. Both are listed as mid launching. The BB 6s numbers are somewhat similar to the DI 6s.

Just wanna get some actual reviews before I commit to the purchase.

Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 9:09 am

Generally, yes. Lighter shaft of the same model usually gives you higher ball flight. Not always the case, though.

I would suggest visiting a fitter than playing a guessing game. A drive to the Den might save you BIG $$$. Rather long drive, but it'll be worth it. Trust me.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 9:54 am

Bro,

if you have used DI6s and get sufficient height, suggest you reconsider the BB6s or at least try it out.

Gaming a DI6s and height was too high for my liking so borrowed a BB6s,
launches lower with same driver head.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 am

sob wrote:
Bro,

if you have used DI6s and get sufficient height, suggest you reconsider the BB6s or at least try it out.

I CANNOT launch the DI6s.

So you are saying BB 6s is even lower launching?
That may also mean that the BB 5s may actually be about the same with the DI6s........

Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:20 am

Yarra wrote:
Generally, yes. Lighter shaft of the same model usually gives you higher ball flight. Not always the case, though.

I would suggest visiting a fitter than playing a guessing game. A drive to the Den might save you BIG $$$. Rather long drive, but it'll be worth it. Trust me.

Thanks Bro, noted.
May go in after my VN trip. Will bring along both my shafts to try out
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 am

Denmeister wrote:
sob wrote:
Bro,

That may also mean that the BB 5s may actually be about the same with the DI6s........

Yes I felt that the BB6s was lower than the DI6s, you can check the GD website, it shows DI as mid to high and BB as low to mid.

But one thing to note, I felt that both shafts load pretty good with a smotth swing, could not launch them with an agrressive swing.
so depends on your swing.
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 11:06 am

If u can't launch the DI... Suggest stay away from the BB... Why not try the DJ instead?
DJ is a mid to high launch shaft!

Might work in your favour
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 12:58 pm

http://www.proschoicegolfshafts.com/

Launch conditions all there. BB is low launching, DI high, DJ mid-high, GT mid.

If u cannot launch a DI 6s could be because swing speed not sufficient for weight + flex. Instead try a 5s or 6r, if not even a 5r. It makes a world of difference.

A friend once offered to let me try his 913 D3 on a 70x diamana D+. Launched it like a noob. Meaning no flight at all. My stock shaft would usually be in 6s but when it comes to aftermarket shafts i have to scale down to a 6r or 6sr.
I believe u can launch a bb easily, subject to flex and weight.

That being said, im not offering an expert opinion, rather what i have experimented or played with.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 1:01 pm

sob wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
sob wrote:
Bro,

Yes I felt that the BB6s was lower than the DI6s, you can check the GD website, it shows DI as mid to high and BB as low to mid.

But one thing to note, I felt that both shafts load pretty good with a smotth swing, could not launch them with an agrressive swing.
so depends on your swing.

I am a smooth swinger..... oooooo hoooooo! Shwing..!

Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 1:09 pm

smooth swing like me can try the 6r :3

Mine is a smooth to quick tempo. Or sometimes i try to blitz thru the ball. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 1:11 pm

JonL_TK wrote:
If u can't launch the DI... Suggest stay away from the BB... Why not try the DJ instead?
DJ is a mid to high launch shaft!

Might work in your favour

I did try the DJ 6s too. No, cannot launch that either. Maybe the 60g aftermarket shafts are not suitable for me.

I did try the GT 60g regular flex on my friend's RBZ and the trajectory is beautiful.

From the looks of things, may have to go test a few shafts with different weights and flex.
Back to top Go down
Pizzaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Pizzaman

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 2:24 pm

My DJ 6S launch pretty well for me... but the stock shaft on my Inpres X works even better for me... Swing
Back to top Go down
rsenal
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
rsenal

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Perhaps its your angle of attack? Looks like you may be driving on the downswing rather than on the up swing.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 11:57 pm

BB is a damn good shaft. tried my friend's bb7s, it was all good at the beginning, but as i get tired, my shots keep hooking. i think bb6s would be good
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 3:43 pm

rsenal wrote:
Perhaps its your angle of attack? Looks like you may be driving on the downswing rather than on the up swing.

My AOA used to be very handsy thus it was on a descending path. Now it is not that bad.

Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 7:06 pm

joshyo wrote:
http://www.proschoicegolfshafts.com/

Launch conditions all there. BB is low launching, DI high, DJ mid-high, GT mid.

If u cannot launch a DI 6s could be because swing speed not sufficient for weight + flex. Instead try a 5s or 6r, if not even a 5r. It makes a world of difference.

A friend once offered to let me try his 913 D3 on a 70x diamana D+. Launched it like a noob. Meaning no flight at all. My stock shaft would usually be in 6s but when it comes to aftermarket shafts i have to scale down to a 6r or 6sr.
I believe u can launch a bb easily, subject to flex and weight.

That being said, im not offering an expert opinion, rather what i have experimented or played with.

Bro,
Most of the time, the published numbers dont mean much to me. I would rather hear from others who have used it.

Based on my findings, lighter weighted shafts are more suitable for me. As mentioned, my trajectory with a stock regular 60g is lower compared to my 50g stiff shaft.

A fellow forummer has been gracious enough to lend me his shafts to try out. Lets see how that goes.

A big thank you to him!
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Hello All,
Just an update.  I am currently using the BB 5s (bought from bro rsenal) and have been able to launch the ball without much issues.  As long as I am not handsy, and stay patient by letting my hips initiate the downswing, the ball launches beautifully.  In fact, I am getting quite good drives with the Razr Fit/BB 5s combo.

What I have learned from this experiment is: A lighter shaft will launch higher than a heavier shaft of the same flex and model.
Back to top Go down
rsenal
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
rsenal

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 pm

And how about the stiff flex? As i recall, your previous shafts were regular flex and had difficulty launching a BB6.

Which should be considered more? Weight or flex? Or both?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 6:47 am

rsenal wrote:
And how about the stiff flex? As i recall, your previous shafts were regular flex and had difficulty launching a BB6.

Which should be considered more? Weight or flex? Or both?

Hi Bro,
Actually the only regular flex shaft that I have used was the Razr Fit stock shaft (RIP'D NV), apart from that, all the rest were stiff shafts.

I actually did not get to try the BB6. Due to previous experiences with 60g Tour AD shafts (DI and DJ), which I could not launch, I was quite tentative about being able to launch another 60g Tour AD shaft.

In my opinion, the weight of the shaft is more important for me. It helped me launch it reasonably well and getting good distance out of it.

However, when I want to push it a little, I tend to hold off the release a little, causing the a right push of the ball which ends up on the right side. This is one area I am trying to figure out with some adjustments to my setup position.
Back to top Go down
mrunix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 2:40 pm

I just recently changed my 913 9,5* to BB5S and for some reason I felt better and more confidence when I used my stock shaft (diamana 62gr Stiff). I got better consistency on ball flight as well as the distance. Very often I got longer distance using the stock shaft...

But I am trying to build a trust that the GD BB5S should be able to give me better ball flight and distance....

I have to, because I already spend money to trade in the shaft, LOL.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?   Tour AD BB:  5s vs 6s.  Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tour AD BB: 5s vs 6s. Will the 5s launch higher than the 6s?
Page 1 of 1