Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views

Go down 
+17
Vinny
billi
S70B
Yarra
eiji
asahi
pushslice
alvin7379
TigaWood
riverdeity
Birdman
Moonfruit
TheFocalPoint
tanjongtiger
Cyp_PGA
Duval_S
hillgreen
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 11:45 pm

billi wrote:
I like Ikasu or muira that is the best wedges ever made , gd to spin / stop at green . like ABS brake .... Very Happy

Sorry for going off topic but do you actually know that ABS brakes don't necessarily shorten your braking distance? If anything, it could lengthen your braking distance, instead!

On the topic, I do like the Ikasu wedges. Might switch to Ikasu once I worn off each and every face of my TM racs.
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 6:28 pm

I had tried ikasu wedge in OCC, very good feel also... but it is as biting as the vokey or TM TP wedge ?
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:20 pm

Wedge selection can get as personal as your putter because its your bread & butter to keep your scores down - it all depends on how you set it up and the ground condition of the courses we're playing (high bounce for soft ground on rainy days, low bounce for hard ground during dry weather & etc)..... Have been there done that with the various brands of wedges mentioned and I'm currently on Fourteen wedges.

My 1st set of wedges were the Cleveland TAs (gunmetal) ~ found them too hard, then went on to PING MB wedges which the bounce was excellent but the dead weight of the club was just too light and then proceeded to Vokeys that were a tad too heavy which required a lot more control around the greens & approaches. Finally, I've found Fourteen and they are here to stay for good because they require very little effort to generate a fair amount of spin and the weight setup for the club is just right for the average Asian golfers

Cheers guys
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
billi

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Yarra wrote:
billi wrote:
I like Ikasu or muira that is the best wedges ever made , gd to spin / stop at green . like ABS brake .... Very Happy

Sorry for going off topic but do you actually know that ABS brakes don't necessarily shorten your braking distance? If anything, it could lengthen your braking distance, instead!

On the topic, I do like the Ikasu wedges. Might switch to Ikasu once I worn off each and every face of my TM racs.

wowo ... wait till ur wedges worn than change .. gd ideal .... happy golfing ,
maybe ABS is the wrong phase in golfing .. paiseh .

what i mean is gd spin ,,,,,
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:09 pm

Have played with the following wedges in my bag(s):

CG10 - didnt like the way the leading edge was so far off the ground.
Vokey Spin Milled - hated em. heavy, and I didnt like the balance. spins the ball decent, but felt harsh in my hands
TM Z-TP - hated these too. Leading edge is a tad too rounded for my liking. Doesn't spin as much as the Vokeys or the RAC wedges
TM RAC Black Y-cutters (got 2 sets of these) - love these for the way it looks at address, and the balance. Spins em just right, and mine are shafted with satin PX wedge shafts
Miura black forged wedges - very similar to the RAC, but I still rate the RACs just a hair above these. Mine are shafted with KBS Tour Black Nickel wedge shafts in S and X flex

However, note that wedges are EXTREMELY personal in taste. What works for me may not work for anyone else. Buy the wedge that you feel confident playing. I walk into a greenside bunker with my RAC Black in my hands and I know it's coming out close. I wouldn't say the same with a CG10 or Vokey SM, yet in theory, they should perform the same
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Yup......totally agree on this one.....that wedges are very personal in taste.
At the same time I am using a Vokey, I also have a TM Rac Satin TP wedge at 60 for my lofted shots. Simply luv the check it shows on the green upon landing.

But both wedges works for me when the occasions call for either one.
So no issue for me in gaming two very distinctly different wedges.

@ghoonk, now you got me thinking 'what if' in my mind with regards to changing the shaft of my TM wedge. It is still in the original TM steel shaft for mine Razz
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:06 pm

which TM wedges are you on again? The RAC or the Z-TP?

I prefer the feel of the satin PX but those are no longer produced (am trying to get my hands on as many sets as I can in 5.0 flex), but the KBS Tour Black Nickel shafts are also very stable. I'm finding that I like a bit of whip in my shafts, gives it a bit more spin, and ball doesn't scatter on landing even with my irons Smile
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:23 pm

asahi wrote:
At the same time I am using a Vokey, I also have a TM Rac Satin TP wedge at 60 for my lofted shots. Simply luv the check it shows on the green upon landing.

Bro, regret selling your black beauty Nike wedge to me? It's a spin factory, lots of reverse... But again I am still not used to the weight... So Titties still in my bag right now... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:53 pm

ghoonk wrote:

I prefer the feel of the satin PX but those are no longer produced (am trying to get my hands on as many sets as I can in 5.0 flex), but the KBS Tour Black Nickel shafts are also very stable. I'm finding that I like a bit of whip in my shafts, gives it a bit more spin, and ball doesn't scatter on landing even with my irons Smile

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html?a=B000XSE4BU
Bro, this the model I am using now.

KBS tour black.....now, that's an option.
For me, just checking up on the green will do nicely for me.....spin optional.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:56 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
asahi wrote:

Bro, regret selling your black beauty Nike wedge to me? It's a spin factory, lots of reverse... But again I am still not used to the weight... So Titties still in my bag right now... Embarassed

No regrets if you store your irons at my place.

ROFL

That black tour beauty is good spinner and all but just a tad lighter as compared to the Scotty which I prefer.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 4:32 am

asahi wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

I think these are the Z-TP in black. I'd recommend going for a lighter shaft and lightweight grip as I find these heads to be light.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 8:45 am

ghoonk wrote:
asahi wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

I think these are the Z-TP in black. I'd recommend going for a lighter shaft and lightweight grip as I find these heads to be light.

Oohh......thanks for the enlightenment and tip, bro. Will get the 'what if ' thought out of my mind.

Btw, when you come back Singapore next trip, any chance you'd be bringing your TM wedges back? Razz
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Most likely bringing the z-tp and tp MB irons back to sell. Why?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Hehe....... Nothing much. Just Would love to try out your Y cutter with PX shaft.
Razz
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Oh, those are staying here with me - no point taking the risk that SQ or airport may somehow lose/damage them. I have another set in Singapore, but cant remember what shafts are on them.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:24 pm

No worries bro. Just thought you may be bringing them back with you for games.

Back to topic proper, with your vast hands on experience with wedges, what wedge you figure would be of the same weight as Vokey?
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:33 pm

erm. use lead tape. not kidding Smile
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:36 pm

ghoonk wrote:
erm. use lead tape. not kidding Smile

Yea......that came across my mind before. But was concerned about the .look'
Very Happy

Think may just do that for the TM Z TP.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:58 pm

You only worry about how it looks and feels at address. That's what matters. You won't see the lead tape on the back, unless you pasted it to the face, in which case YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG LOL
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:07 pm

ghoonk wrote:
You only worry about how it looks and feels at address. That's what matters. You won't see the lead tape on the back, unless you pasted it to the face, in which case YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG LOL

hahahaha ROFL ROFL ROFL

Will kill the clubfitter if he does that.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 pm

If you do that, please take avid of Eric's reaction when you show it to him Smile
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 11:00 pm

hillgreen wrote:
I had tried ikasu wedge in OCC, very good feel also... but it is as biting as the vokey or TM TP wedge ?

Missed this one. I actually spin this 53* Ikasu more than I spin the 60* rac wedge... And mind you, that rac wedge is my own, while the Ikasu is the one lying around the Den...
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Hmm, then may try again next time on the ikasu wedge again since your comments was that it spins quite good... cyclops

Thanks for sharing.... cheers...

Yarra wrote:
hillgreen wrote:

Missed this one. I actually spin this 53* Ikasu more than I spin the 60* rac wedge... And mind you, that rac wedge is my own, while the Ikasu is the one lying around the Den...
Back to top Go down
cenbale
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 1:49 pm

hillgreen wrote:
Yo... Funny, one of my friend said that his old Rac wedge is still the best..
Same as what u said..

Yarra wrote:
I'd go for the old TM's rac anyday than the Vokey's. A matter of preference and just because I was so used to the TMs, though. But I do find that the spins are more or less the same...

Taylormade
Back to top Go down
pinhigh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
pinhigh

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 4:21 pm

cenbale wrote:
hillgreen wrote:
Yo... Funny, one of my friend said that his old Rac wedge is still the best..
Same as what u said..

Yarra wrote:
I'd go for the old TM's rac anyday than the Vokey's. A matter of preference and just because I was so used to the TMs, though. But I do find that the spins are more or less the same...

Taylormade

Welcome
Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views   Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges -  pls share your views - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Titleist Vokey wedge Vs other wedges - pls share your views
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next