Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ladies Beginner Advice Please

Go down 
+10
kellogs
aahhhcabretta
iron eagle
nientsu
wilkang
weesern
golfjoy
tohkh
asahi
singalou
14 posters
AuthorMessage
singalou
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Ladies Beginner Advice Please Empty
PostSubject: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 3:01 pm

I went to the driving range for the first time last weekend and want to pick up a few clubs for myself (borrowed a mens iron which was a bit heavy for me). I'll also be taking lessons in a month or two. Would you recommend buying a complete set or just a few clubs to start with? I was looking at Callaway Solaire 9 pc for about $850 but heard some bad things about the clubs breaking. The alternative is buying a few clubs overseas and bringing them over. The ones I'm looking at are:
Taylormade r7 CGB Max 3 wood - approx $170 OR Mizuno MX700 3 wood $190
Nike Sasquatch Sumo Hybrid #7 - approx $85
Cleveland VP509 Bloom putter - approx $190
Total price approx $450
I would then add clubs over time as I'm sure it will be a good while before I venture out of the driving range/putting green. What do you think? Better to get a full set or just a few clubs?

Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 3:04 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Think better to get used clubs such as pitching wedge, 7 iron and 5 wood to start with during your beginner lessons.

IMO
Back to top Go down
tohkh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 3:06 pm

I advise to use clubs from yr coach. Dun buy anything yet, not worth to spend on them when you do not need to. Those you mentioned are also quite useless as a beginner.

As a begineer myself, I will focus on my irons, so prob need a 7 iron, a wedge and a putter and nothing else, woods hybrids are all quite unimportant at this stage.

But of cos if you prefer to get yr own clubs, just 3 key ones will do, can add on the rest later on.
Back to top Go down
singalou
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks for the advice. Will take a few lessons first and see how it goes. For the driving range, is it bad to practice with a mens club until I get my own?
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 3:18 pm

singalou wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Will take a few lessons first and see how it goes. For the driving range, is it bad to practice with a mens club until I get my own?

Not sure for you, but I hurt myself while using my guy friend's club during one of the range sessions (before I got my own clubs).

Just be careful with those heavy clubs Smile

By the way .... WELCOME!! flower
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Ladies can use men's clubs as long as they can handle it. It all depends on your build and strength...

interesting that the clubs you are eyeing are not irons.
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Welcome singalou..Enjoy your stay with us Smile
Feel free to join us for our weekly range sessions at MBGC, every wednesdays from 8pm onwards.

Back to your qns, i would suggest using clubs from the instructor for the duration of your lessons first.
Reason being as you progress with your lessons, you or your instrcutor can assess your swing and advise you on the type of clubs to get.

Men's clubs are definitely heavier as compared and you will risk unnecessary injury to your wrists or elbows.

Have fun Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 4:52 pm

To me...

Always get a second hand set as your first set. Y? Because it doesnt hurt that much on your pocket. Even if you decide not to continue, you can still sell it, incuring a small loss.
I.E Buy iron set for $450. Decide that golf not your cup of tea, you can still sell bk for $350 and people will still buy.

I dont really agree on asking your instructor what set you should buy. No offence, but i have seen some instructors using this opportunity to 'sell' custom made sets to their students. I have heard of coaches recieving token amt for introducing students to the sales people from golf shops.

Best way is to read reviews. Best place to read reviews is on the net. GR is also a good place to ask for comments on golf sets.

Back to top Go down
singalou
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 5:04 pm

weesern wrote:
Ladies can use men's clubs as long as they can handle it. It all depends on your build and strength...

Was thinking to buy a wood for the driving range to start with and then add the irons in a month or two. I can also borrow mens irons in the short term.
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 5:11 pm

I was watching this young man who works for Heritage Golf sometime ago,
he was coached by an Australian Pro, this young fella was advised to use only
PW for 3 months nothing else! So I asked why's that so?

He said this is to get a proper swing before you even thouch other iron,
as the PW being shorter, easier to swing and correct the mistake.

He did exactly that, after that 3 months of training on short iron,
his swing on longer iron and driver was just fantastic, being young he has the
power, you could see the ball really go far and high!! that was Bishan range.

My 2 cents worth!
Back to top Go down
aahhhcabretta
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 5:16 pm

You can get used cheap sets over at green field (far east shopping center.) My gf got a ladies set at around $250, which includes the driver as well. Its not the latest or branded model, but it will do.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 5:42 pm

singalou wrote:
weesern wrote:

Was thinking to buy a wood for the driving range to start with and then add the irons in a month or two. I can also borrow mens irons in the short term.

If can borrow mens iron, u can borrow men's wood as well.. but tats not the point.
Back to top Go down
kellogs
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:48 am

I would recommend to go with maruman figaro

My wife bought a set and seems happy with it and it is inexpensive (whole set only $950 over at Transview)
Back to top Go down
Ginger30
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 5:27 pm

When I first picked up golf, I used my coach set. No hurry to buy a set urself until u r ready to get ur pc. For self practice, request to borrow clubs from ur coach. I got a maruman set which I feel was ideal for ladies beginners. The club are forgiving n light (so no worries on hurting ur back). Simply love my clubs until I outgrown them. Sold it recently for $250.

My sis got a taylormade replica R7 which is sitting in the storeroom now. (a set her coach suggested she get). I totally agree some coach may influence u to buy wat they are trying to let go for a profit. So dun fall for it.

If u muz get a set urself. I personally suggest Japanese set. They are light but due to technology u won't feel shortchanged when it comes to distance.

Have fun!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi Singalou, If you already find the men's clubs too heavy for you, best to stay away from them especially since you are just starting out. You wouldn't give solid food to a new born babe right? So think baby steps.

More importantly, be 100% sure you are hooked to the game before you decide to buy a full set, it is quite an investment.

Give yourself the time to complete your lessons, have fellowship with other golfers, and see if your interest grows into a full blown addiction to the game. By then, you would have formed some semblance of a swing unique to you, and tried out different clubs. You would also have an idea as to what you like in terms of looks, feel of the club, and how it hits for you relative to your swing. Better to buy when you are armed with knowledge about what equipment will fit your game, rather than buy into equipment that you will have to work too hard to use, thereby detracting from your enjoyment of this wonderful game. Don't rush into buying anything yet, there will always be another sale and a newer and so called better model.

If anything, buying or better yet, borrowing a 7 iron is sufficient to last you till your lessons are over.

Getting your game to a level where you can use all your clubs means a lot of time spent at the range a few times a week at least for at least several months. Unless of course you decide to pound balls every day for a year. That's how a friend of mine got from total beginner to single handicap in a year. Many of us here have played for years and still can't use all our clubs well, so no rush to get a full or half set.

Hope this helps.

Back to top Go down
tohkh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Everyone talks about practising at the range, please make sure yr chipping and putting are not left out as they account for most of yr shots, not yr driver shots!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:26 pm

Thank you tohkh for your advice.

But you might not be aware that she is just beginning the game, her focus will be on the basics of building a swing first.

Chipping and putting comes much later when she's ready to take it to the course.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 9:46 am

I feel she should start with chipping... chipping is more or less a miniature full swing and it will help the full swing
Back to top Go down
tohkh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 10:02 am

yeah birdman you are right! Im more of saying not to neglect practising something which consitutes most part of the game rather than just trying too hard to go for distance. =)
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 10:24 am

btw if u are looking for instructors go for those good ones.. happen to hear the things that some of the instructors teach.. sigh.. they did not even get the students to have the right grip.. and straight away as them to hit balls and then say see the ball fly already!! come-on.. its on the 2nd floor of the range.. the ball sure fly DOWN!
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 11:45 am

bomby wrote:
btw if u are looking for instructors go for those good ones.. happen to hear the things that some of the instructors teach.. sigh.. they did not even get the students to have the right grip.. and straight away as them to hit balls and then say see the ball fly already!! come-on.. its on the 2nd floor of the range.. the ball sure fly DOWN!

My son enrol in the AA golf, teaching Pro Angmo at Seletar Country Club with 10 students, similarly teach golf stunt and than swing, even poor shots
by student the Angmo would "good shot"

After 8 lessons I would say my son learn not much and I have
engage another local instructor one to one lesson for him.

I would its waste of good money to enrol in 10 students golf, learn
from masses?

cheers
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 12:02 pm

Ok guys. Let's not digress too much over the main topic here. This lady who is a noob is asking if she should buy her set while she is still taking lessons. I know many there are many coaches who in your point of view is not teaching rite.

Iron eagle: for a lesson with 10 students and one coach. I seriously do not think ur kid will learn much even if Hank Haney is teaching. Thats my 5 cent worth
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 12:50 pm

singalou:

from my past experience, dun think u need to get a full set of clubs, ideally 3 clubs set is good enough (PW, 7i and 26 hybrid), since u just started out.

for the rest of the clubs, u can slowly buy when u progress in your lessons n your passion for the game increase.... if neither of both get u more invloved in the sport, buying a set is a waste ......

however, if u are so positive abt the sport, by all means get a good iron set, u dun need the woods yet, ladies irons will be from 5i-SW....

unlike guys where we have steel n graphite shaft, ladies beginner set is graphite...
unlike guys where we have R, F and S flex in our shaft, ladies got only ladies flex.....
thus to shop for one set is relatively easy for ladies..... be it new or 2nd hand
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ladies Beginner Advice Please   Ladies Beginner Advice Please I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ladies Beginner Advice Please
Page 1 of 1