Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf set advice needed for beginner

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf set advice needed for beginner Empty
PostSubject: Golf set advice needed for beginner   Golf set advice needed for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 11:51 am

Hi all,

Any advice on budget beginner golf set?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Golf set advice needed for beginner   Golf set advice needed for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi IceShelter ... there is a lot of generic advice for beginners ... it used to be we would always advise getting a 2nd hand iron set first ... generally because

1. The majority of golfers end up buying another set as they get more into the game
2. Drop out rate for golf is quite high ... no point buying a set and realising you don't actually like the game

However, the market nowadays has many new sets which are very good value for money (great price, decent quality)

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about yourself and that will also the advice provided to be a bit more specific to you ... stuff like how long you have been learning/playing, what clubs you are using now, how long you hit some of your clubs etc etc
Back to top Go down
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf set advice needed for beginner   Golf set advice needed for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 1:51 pm

I think this is basically most beginner would like to know also.

Basically looking at advices for group range as below
1. Total beginner to PC (set that enhance the learning curve)
2. PC to handicap (set that improve game play)

Also i need advice on ladies set, my wife is almost same height as me, is it advisable to get ladies set for her?

about me, i started few months back, currently using John Daly set and going for my handicap.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Golf set advice needed for beginner   Golf set advice needed for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 3:17 pm

wrt your own set ... is there anything you don't like about your current John Daly set that is prompting a change?

As for your wife, in general, ladies clubs are lighter, shorter and more flexible than men's clubs, however, if you are not sure if your wife is going to continue with the game ... it will be very painful to buy a set of ladies clubs for her only to have her stop a few weeks later

is she currently using your clubs and complaining about them? e.g too heavy ... if not ... maybe better to let sleeping dogs lie ... however I am guessing if you turn up with a nice shiny new set, there is no way you can run from buying her one as well
Back to top Go down
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf set advice needed for beginner   Golf set advice needed for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 3:39 pm

I got ya, maybe her set can still wait till her confirmation of interest.

actually now is more like to learn and know more about clubs, brands, which more suitable for me once i get my handicap and start to join the race to get better score 

as for now john daly set should be still okay for me as beginner set and an allowance for my wife to whack the clubs... and yeah... i got my driver almost break dents already.
She only complained the driver is heavy.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Golf set advice needed for beginner   Golf set advice needed for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 5:01 pm

If you are simply exploring ... the best way would be to drop by any friendly club fitter where there is lots of stuff to try and no pressure to buy ... they are the real experts when it comes to golf equipment ... and the most qualified people to explain to you what a club can do and what it can't

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t20348-useful-addresses-info-of-pro-shops-fitters

From a layman's perspective, some things about golf equipment

Like cars, some brands hold value better than others. e.g. Titleist
But in general, golf clubs lose value fast, so used clubs are a great way to start out.  Although nowadays, some of the new clubs at Golf Direct are so cheap that they are worth considering.

Another option is to buy stuff online, but beware of counterfeit products.  Guys like Eiji are experts at online buying, you can consult him if you wish to take this route.

Techonology is relatively more important in Fairway Woods, Drivers, Utility Clubs, Irons, Wedges and Putters in that approximate order IMHO.  You can take a putter from 40 years ago and it will still work fine, still golf with irons from 15 years ago, but you WILL feel the difference with drivers and especially woods from 10 years ago and now.

That being said, almost anything that came out in the last 5 years, and was rated well during its time, is good enough to use until you know exactly what you want from your equipment.  No real point paying top dollar for new stuff unless you know exactly what you want (if it is retail therapy and you can well afford it then please go ahead and buy anything you like ... just remember to post on GR marketplace at highly discounted prices if you get tired of them later  Razz )

The range of golf equipment is mind blowing and the brand positionings just as varied.  I would group them roughly into several categories (just examples, not exhaustive):

Value:  Slazenger, Nickent, Wilson(maybe)
Mass Market: Taylor Made, Callaway, Nike, Adams, Cobra
Mass Market plus: Titleist, Mizuno
Premium: Most JDM (Jap Domestic Market), PRGR, XXIO, Yamaha
Premium plus: Custom Jap Forgings like Miura, Epon, Romaro Ray
Super Premium: Honma

Within each brand, there will also be a range of products at varying price levels.  The thing to note is that while price may equate to quality, in general, it does not necessarily translate to performance.

On top of what is available off-the-shelf, there is also an entire aftermarket golf equipment industry dedicated to customising golf equipment specifically to you, both in terms of performance and aesthetics.

The amount of information available is staggering.  One good way to start would be to read through the previous threads in the forum that have discussed equipment for beginners in detail.

Within the forum, there will be many views, just like there are many types of golfers out there.  Some promote unforgiving clubs that almost force you to develop a sound swing to be able to use them.  On the other side, others will recommend forgiving clubs that help to make a difficult game more enjoyable.  Just take it all in and realise that what works for one golfer may not necessarily be your cup of tea.  At the end of the day, you are paying, so you should like what you buy.

On a parting note, no equipment is going to miraculously cure a bad swing, and the better your swing, the more options there are in terms of equipment you can use practically.

So enjoy the jouney and remember to have fun, be it playing golf or shopping for golf stuff!
Back to top Go down
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf set advice needed for beginner   Golf set advice needed for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks Derek
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf set advice needed for beginner   Golf set advice needed for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Good post Derek Smile
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Golf set advice needed for beginner   Golf set advice needed for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:42 pm

Good post Derek, just to add on to the brand list, Mizuno also offer full set for beginners, would put it under value but still more expensive than those already in the list. Wilson and Wilson Staff are from same company but cater to different market. Wilson Staff will be in the mass market category.

What I find is very true is any clubs within the last 5 years will give u comparable performance. The advancement of technology is quite little in relation to the price you need to pay for a new club... if comparing $ to performance gain, i think every small performance gained, u spend more $$. if $ not an issue, go for it.

Just look at the pros, some of them are using clubs that are relatively old and still able to post good scores.

Maybe you should ask you coach for some advise on whether u should use a heavier club or lighter clubes. Although the trend is to go light, small ppl just cannot get used to lighter clubs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf set advice needed for beginner   Golf set advice needed for beginner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf set advice needed for beginner
Page 1 of 1