Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putters for Noobs

Go down 
+15
X-Man
Winston
asahi
eiji
weesern
PinkPanther
Batman
Dimples
mizzy
innovtrackie
wilkang
Gray
sandkie
Duval_S
ifatfat
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ifatfat
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 7:22 am

Any recommendations for putters for beginners, as well as any guidelines when choosing one?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 am

2-ball or mallet type of putter will be a good starting block....just my 2cents.

Again there is no right or wrong. But if you were to ask, what should a noob focus on in putting, then my comment will be lagging.....

BTW, I use a mallet....and I am a seasoned beginner
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 8:55 am

Any second hand putter... till you know what you want then buy good one...
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 8:57 am

Erm, unlike other clubs, I think putters got no advance putter and beginner putter.

Some feel more confident with mallet, some are more confident with blade. I have seen on TV, pros using mallet and have many beginner friends who are better with blade.

Just buy the best putter you can afford and use it for a long time rather than buy a cheap one then upgrade, then see another one then upgrade which may cost you more over time.

Of course, you can just go straight to the ZEN putters. with its superior technology, you'll ever only need 1 putter in your life. Just drop by BFG and you can see how the whole putter is made in stages and you will be amazed at the effort put into it. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 9:17 am

ifatfat wrote:
Any recommendations for putters for beginners, as well as any guidelines when choosing one?

Thanks!

I would think it's better to try out putters with different necks..eg..slant..plumber..centre etc.
And see at address which are you more comfortable with.
Length of putter varies..usually most will go for 33' or 34'.
Once you've got the kind of necks u prefer, proceed to try the types of heads..eg..blade..mallet etc.

Try different combis of the above and you might just find one that you are most comfortable with.

When your game progess and enough poison is in your system, then look into investing in a new putter or try putter fitting. Smile
Like Gray mentioned, the ultimate ZEN range of putters at BFG..fully customizable from shaft to grip.

Have fun Smile
Back to top Go down
innovtrackie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 9:35 am

Go try out the different putters...
I'm sure you can find one that will give you a good feel when hitting..
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 9:51 am

there are 2 ways to go about it i pesonally feel.

1. choose something that gets you the results. something that gets the ball in the hole. somehow you just click with the putter or the putter gets you better results.

2. go with the design that you can stand or like. feel comes to you later and you get used to the putter. after that you are used to the feel and you can get very good with it.

I have moved from 1 to 2 recently and its a great feeling.
Back to top Go down
Dimples
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Dimples

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 10:01 am

Gray wrote:
Erm, unlike other clubs, I think putters got no advance putter and beginner putter.

Some feel more confident with mallet, some are more confident with blade. I have seen on TV, pros using mallet and have many beginner friends who are better with blade.

Just buy the best putter you can afford and use it for a long time rather than buy a cheap one then upgrade, then see another one then upgrade which may cost you more over time.

Of course, you can just go straight to the ZEN putters. with its superior technology, you'll ever only need 1 putter in your life. Just drop by BFG and you can see how the whole putter is made in stages and you will be amazed at the effort put into it. Twisted Evil

Kinda agree with Gray. Putters is something very personal. Even more personal than irons.

I never knew this until I worked with golf companies. Till I learnt alot about putters.

If you have a putter now, stick with it until you know what you are looking for. There are several factors you need to consider when buying a putter....

1. How do you "swing" your putter. Do you rock your putter back and forth?? or do you sway it in a semi circle movement.?

2. From How you swing, do you fit into which kind of neck of the putter, there's a offset, direct, center , heel, bent, etc...

3. The comfortable height you play with. I'm about 169 cm but I prefer playing with a short putter... about 31 inches.

4. Do you prefer playing with a conventional putter, belly, or broomstick

5. Do you prefer playing wth a Blade or mallet or in between?

6. Do you prefer insert or without? For insert, hard or soft.

After deciding all these questions, you should enjoy your putter. However, please bare in mind, you will go through a learning curve with some putters.

For example, I'm using the original 2 ball.. as in the very 1st series. and still using it. But when I first got it, I loved it straight away as I was lining up putts and sinking them. but then... all of a sudden, I could not even sink even 1 meter putts... grew over confident. 1st instinct was to change putters. However, my coach and a friend who i got my putter from the shop told me that this putter has a very funny learning curve. and i'm currently at the bottom. So I needed to work with my putter for it to take me up the slope.

I continued to work with it and now, after 8 years, i'm very comfortable and confident with my putter and now i hardly miss anything 1 meter and in.

Just some experience from my own. Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 10:45 am

Agree with the point that putter is very personal. If I may put it, its like ur under-garment Razz

For me, I bought my 1st putter (even though I havent even go green yet) of the mallet type
(in black color though)
Putters for Noobs TaylorMade-Rossa-Monza-Corza-Putter

then I just switched to a blade putter, even though I only had played my 1st one only twice. Cos I feel
that during my "back swing" the bigger head somehow made me sway more. And on my forward swing,
I feel that my swing and "aiming" has "run". So that prompted me to switch and after 2 games with my
new putter, I am liking it Very Happy Of course, I also like the shape of my new putter better (vain factor cheers )
Putters for Noobs O-1

Just like when you watch those Pro tournaments, the pros also use all kind of putters, blade/ mallet etc
So my advice will be to buy 1 that you think you will like and then practice your putting around it.
Back to top Go down
PinkPanther
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
PinkPanther

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 10:49 am

You should look for DGman @ Big Fish Golf.
He will be able to find something suitable for you.
Try the Zen Smile
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:30 am

Partly agree with Gray's comments....

I dun think you should get the best you can afford because if this is your first putter, you will not know what you like.

Before I got my putter, I thought I like a mallet. My first putter is a heel-toe blade putter. and now I cannot putt with a mallet... just find them too bulky...

It is only after I got my first putter then I know what I would like to use
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:37 am

Just another 2 cents..

I feel that the results you need to get with a putter is the ability to hit a putt that is
1. in the right direction
2. with the right distance

many factors affect this so I can't really put it down here, but personally, the feel you develop helps you get the distance right. the direction thing I still screw up sometimes.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:43 am

When i had my beginner lesson with my coach, he let us try out different types of putter, mallet, 2 ball, half mallet and a Scotty Cameron Newport 2.

I liked the newport 2 and have went the blade route for my own putter choice.

You can just head to any GH, Pan West or golf shop with a putting surface and different putters for sale, try a few out and see which putter feels right to you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Hmm....do what I do......buy putter A at sale price......try, not good.....buy putter B during sale.....and on and on......till you find the right one.

And for me, the right one is ZEN putter. Beer

Bottom line is, it's very personal in terms of feel, touch and even looks.
You won't know until you try.
Back to top Go down
ifatfat
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks for all the replies!

Really a wealth of information here... Beer
I'll try both blade and mallet and decide... but it seems like ZEN is really popular... Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 2:15 pm

Just to add my newbie experience in helping you. (Some may say confuse you)

I cannot put with an insert putter to save my life. Just cannot get the "feeling". Have tried all the odyssey putters with inserts. work perfectly fine for my friend but for me, hopeless.

Finally found a Nike unitizied LEO. blade / anser design putter. Milled face. Works wonders for my game. I am now on a mission to find a putter with horizontal lines on the face.

But then, it also helps that I am taking lessons.
Back to top Go down
X-Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
X-Man

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 2:53 pm

Winston wrote:
I am now on a mission to find a putter with horizontal lines on the face.

Hi Winston

are you looking for the new Zen putters?
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 2:54 pm

does the type of ball affect the type of putter, face wise?

cause with a distance ball (Cally warbird and Top Flite XL), i get a click sound feeling and the ball seems to jump forwards faster. When using a softer ball (TM TP Black), its a mutted sound and feeling and the ball rolls 'more normally'.

using an old steel putter with hard chrome surface.

Also tried those putters at the shops with their cheap distance balls, the SC feels crap and the Odyssey with insert feels nice.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Tronos,

For putting, it's more to do with the hardness of the ball's cover and not the entire ball itself. That is, surlyn, ionomer (surlyn mix), or urethane covers.

I'm guessing that with a hard surlyn cover and all steel surface, it would make sense that the ball skids more cos of the rebound facor, which is why you feel that the softer urethane covered ball skids less with a more immediate roll.

Hard cover ball (2 piece distance w Surlyn cover) + hard face (Steel) = hard clicky feel

Hard cover ball (2 piece distance w Surlyn cover) + insert face = harder muted feel

Soft cover ball (3 piece spin w urethane cover) + hard face (Steel) = medium clicky feel

Soft cover ball (3 piece spin w urethane cover) + insert face (Steel) = muted feel

FYI - the inserts on most Odyssey putters is the same material used for the cover of their golf balls

Personally, I'm not very much for insert putters. I feel that non-insert putters work better for the slower moisture laden greens in our part of the world, since the ball rolls much less than for the greens in the drier temperate regions.

To me, insert putters kill a ball's feel off the putterface, but the softer roll would make more sense on US PGA tour conditioned glass slick greens where lag putting is crucial.

Also, I question how many years an insert putter will last. A bull's eye putter can be passed on from father to son as a classic. But I wonder if the insert will still be on the face of current putters years down the road. (Think of athletic shoes you don't wear for a year and what happens to them)
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 6:02 pm

nice write up Birdman.. think i better sell of my insert putters before the insert breaks down.. hehe Wink

question for you also. remember odyssey putters used to have steel insert within polymer insert? that felt nice on putts with both soft balls and hard balls. wonder why now no more this type?
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 7:00 pm

X-Man wrote:
Winston wrote:

Hi Winston

Hi X-Man,

The ZEN is one option I have in mind. I have read many many reviews here in the Forum and say great things about it. I most certainly would like to try it. However, me being a beginner, I most certainly wont be able to tell the difference.

I think Rife putters also use HOrizontal lines.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Winston wrote:
X-Man wrote:
Winston wrote:

Hi Winston

Hi X-Man,

The ZEN is one option I have in mind. I have read many many reviews here in the Forum and say great things about it. I most certainly would like to try it. However, me being a beginner, I most certainly wont be able to tell the difference.

I think Rife putters also use HOrizontal lines.

i asked a lot of members here to try out two putters, a Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 and Zen Zac one after another, everyone could tell the difference.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:33 am

@ mizzy, thanks. Just my thoughts. I never did try those putters with both steel and polymer inserts. You are right that they would be an easier transition from non-insert to insert putters. The underlying steel would give a hint of a click versus pure inserts. I don't know why also why no more.

I can only surmise that perhaps they didn't sell well or more likely it was end of product design life and time to move on to so called "newer and improved" designs to keep our hopes alive of finding that magic wand year after year. Corporations with highly paid executives serve shareholders first and foremost so guess what they are really interested in when it comes to us golfers? Improving our golf is a priority but certainly not "the" priority. A company's all time best product is hardly ever the latest that they roll out.

One company springs to mind that is different. They still produce some of its classics, albeit in different iterations. It's still in the hands of the family and that could possibly be a reason why. His dad set the standard, and every putter designer and golf company has copied his design (the answer to competitors putters) in one form or another. The company innovates with new designs yet the original designs of the founder (since 1959) are still sold to this very day. Quite amazing when I think about it too. (If you are reading this and wondering who, the company was named after the sound his first design made when it struck the ball.)

Last edited by Birdman on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:35 am

and ends with "ING"
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:39 am

and if i remember correctly, every major winner using this putter will get a gold? putter head made of that model they used.. or something like that.. geezz.. must have lots of them by now.. What a Face

my dad has a ping anser 2 but it doesn't sound musical though.. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Putters for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putters for Noobs   Putters for Noobs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putters for Noobs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next