Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steel vs Graphite

Go down 
+12
eiji
Duval_S
DGman
TigaWood
weesern
asahi
mizzy
blee67
Birdman
chanwk
golf_nut
speed_devil15
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:03 pm

The difference in playing properties between graphite shafts and steel in the early days were vast.

The tech is so advanced now that graphite can play like steel and steel play like graphite, yet still retain the desired original properties of the material it's made from.

A hybrid of playing properties, so to speak.

These graphite shafts you speak of would be considered of the more exotic variety, and not the usual graphite stock shafts found in game improvement irons. Would it be correct to say that DGman?
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:11 pm

I chose steel because it is cheaper and they are giving as much feedback as the graphic!
A case in point is the KBS, where you can get the "kick" feeling.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:22 pm

I choose steel becos I don want to stick out like a sore thumb when I play with you all.

Its bad enough that my swing is pretty weird

Its lagi bad enough that I don look like a golfer...on course.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:31 pm

seebayho wrote:
"Graphite is lighter and does help you hit further, but dispersion (grouping) may not be as tight as steel. Slower swing speeds benefit from graphite shafts."

How slow is considered slow?
I rate my swing as slow and change to "R" Shaft.
Now my short sprayed like machine gun.
.......just feel like giving up No

Guess only a clubfitter can answer that question for you SBH. Me only 85 mph on driver and have been playing graphites for quite some years with pretty good results until recently when bad swings result in left hook, and now have just switched to steel.

I see myself as a swinger more than a hitter and personally find more 'kick' at impact with my graphites with a higher launch, also somewhat easier for me to work the ball when the swing is good. The steel for me gives less 'kick' but a more solid feel at impact with a penetrating launch that is straighter, but not entirely happy with the way the ball runs too much on landing with the longer irons.

Still on the fence with either graphite or steel for me. I'm thinking graphites for off days and steel for when the swing is on, for now at least, until I've got my good swing back for a consistent period of time.

Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:40 pm

Guess it's all down to personal preference. I started on graphite but quickly switched to steel coz I did not like the 'whippyness' feel of graphite.
Then again, that was the old graphite ones I tried. Perhaps the new ones like Aerotech would be as solid as steel.

With my first steel shaft of R flex, after a while, I also feel that the shaft is soft hence my current status of finding a more solid steel shaft. Prefer to have a more solid and less bending feel. So the hunt is ongoing.

Having said that, my irons speed on Trackman is about 93-95.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:45 pm

My Driver swing speed is 85mph.

Your irons swing speed is 93-95mph. affraid

No wonder R flex steel too soft for you la.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:51 pm

Birdman, but my driver swing speed same as yrs leh.
Remember the one Sat hitting on Trackman at the Den?

Now, as pointed out by my idol, jimmychoo, I slow down my swing on my downswing in the impact zone hence the lower speed and lesser distance.

Key thing for me would be to really adopt the hit hard, look up mentality. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:51 pm

if we look at the steelfiber i95 (95g) that Matt Kuchar is using. you will need a KBS 110g to deliver the same performance. i have a couple of those laying around and you are free to take it out to the range to test these against the NS Pro 95 or KBS Tour 90. when making comparison, you want to look at trajectory, spin control, distance accuracy and effects on good hits and mishits. lastly you will also want to consider feel and feedback on good and bad hits.

Why would someone choose a graphite, whether its 55g, 65g, 75g, 85g, 95g or 115g? well its correct to say that one should use the heaviest they can handle, but considerations to no of rounds a week, practice time and physical conditions have to be factored.

Matt Kuchar chose a lighter but more robust shaft because he felt he can benefit from using a lighter shaft thats just as effective, if not more responsive, In doing so, this has translated to better performance in the last year and a lot more money won. MK seems to be gaining some distance without losing accuracy.

its funny when someone buys a set of irons, they want good looks and best feel. i am sure there are considerations on price but branding and feel seems to take precedence. so when it comes to shaft, which is an important component, why would one make their choice based on price?

Hubert, you are half right to say that the technology today have made better shafts, but the good stuff was made in the 80s using boron. however the high price made it difficult for OEM brands to use good quality shafts so the majority of the brands out there do not use good quality graphite shafts that stronger players can benefit from. Gradually graphite shafts has lose its place and is percieved as whippy and deemed not suitable for the stronger players.

DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 9:07 pm

My recent acquirement of Titleist AP2 came with Graphite Design GAT95 graphite shaft with stiff flex. Am hitting them pretty decent, but lost like a little distance, like half a club, since i had them cut down to standard steel length. It might be because of the length, might also because its stiff flex as i am more of a firm flex(between reg and stiff)

I am tempted to switch to steel because to it, but thus far the graphite shaft has been performing rather well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Always good to hear from you DGman. Very Happy

Thanks for enlightening.

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 9:55 pm

eiji..the GD GAT 95 that came with your AP2 is a pretty good graphite shaft that plays true to its flex and torque.

i will not change that.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:15 pm

DGman wrote:
eiji..the GD GAT 95 that came with your AP2 is a pretty good graphite shaft that plays true to its flex and torque.

i will not change that.

DGman

Yes Sir! Slinger said the same thing today when i played with him.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Birdman DGman,

Thanks for the explanation. To be honest, when I started playing golf, it was with graphite shaft and it stayed that way since. When I bought my latest set, it was becauase I like the feel of of impact when the club head hits the balls at the range.

I have tried testing with steel shaft but somehow, I find that graphite shafts suits me better (maybe becuase I am a lazy swinger and I think my swing speed is even lower than that of Birdman, hehe).

I don't mind being the only guy using the graphite shaft in the flight as long as at the end of the day, i get to collect the cash... cheers ROFL

All in all, looking at what you guys have mentioned, I would think it all boils down to personal preference. Guess it will be graphite for me for a long long time... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cristel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
cristel

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:20 pm

So, presumably I first start out my shot using steel and it was flying well till I change to graphite... does that mean it is time for me to go back to steel?~

DG: the next time I go ur den, help me check my swing speed?! Embarassed

A good advice from the professional is always welcoming.~~~
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:22 pm

blee2007 wrote:
Birdman DGman,

Thanks for the explanation. To be honest, when I started playing golf, it was with graphite shaft and it stayed that way since. When I bought my latest set, it was becauase I like the feel of of impact when the club head hits the balls at the range.

I have tried testing with steel shaft but somehow, I find that graphite shafts suits me better (maybe becuase I am a lazy swinger and I think my swing speed is even lower than that of Birdman, hehe).

I don't mind being the only guy using the graphite shaft in the flight as long as at the end of the day, i get to collect the cash... cheers ROFL

All in all, looking at what you guys have mentioned, I would think it all boils down to personal preference. Guess it will be graphite for me for a long long time... Very Happy

bro, my irons also graphite shaft....

u are not alone....
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:29 pm

I have been using aerotech on my irons for the last 1.5 years and have great things to say about them. Very stable shafts and they definitely hold up very well even when you go after the ball. If I didn't have a itchy backside, I would just stick to what works for me and not think about trying other graphite shafts! Just my 2 cents worth from a seasoned beginner.
Back to top Go down
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:51 pm

i have just started learning golf and have been asking around frnd the same que . . steel or graphite . . some say steel some say graphite . . dam dam confused pale

after reading to all the senior's comment / argument or wat ever u call them, in my humble opinion, be it steel or graphite, just use wat ever u like best

只要你爽就好了

ROFL
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 11:21 pm

slinger wrote:

u are not alone....

Ahhh... but what kind of graphite you use, stock shafts?

I don't think so.... geek
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 11:24 pm

Birdman wrote:
slinger wrote:

u are not alone....

he is Matt Kuchar standard so use same type of graphite shaft lor
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 11:35 pm

Botak88 wrote:
i have just started learning golf and have been asking around frnd the same que . . steel or graphite . . some say steel some say graphite . . dam dam confused pale

after reading to all the senior's comment / argument or wat ever u call them, in my humble opinion, be it steel or graphite, just use wat ever u like best

只要你爽就好了

ROFL

Botak88, it really isn't just use wat ever you like best.

Go see a clubfitter like DGman (call and arrange a fitting session with him). He has irons fitted with a wide variety of graphite and steel shafts. Try them to get a feel of what you like, but also couple your trial of the irons with data from the launch monitor. Get DGman to see your swing and interpret the data for you, that should help you narrow down your choice. At the very least, you pay a nominal sum for the fitting session, but you come away with a wealth of information that will help you with your game.

There are people who have used what they liked or thought was best for them, only to be surprised by a better option after seeing a clubftter. Just ask Ghoonk, he's a very good example.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 11:44 pm

eiji wrote:
Birdman wrote:
slinger wrote:

u are not alone....

he is Matt Kuchar standard so use same type of graphite shaft lor

So Matt Kuchar must be a seasoned beginner too since Golfcoma also using Aerotech for last 1.5 years. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:10 am

wah...so many seasoned beginner????

Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:49 am

But you are still the original bro. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 7:00 pm

Birdman is marinated beginner liao.. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite   Steel vs Graphite - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steel vs Graphite
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2