Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steel vs Graphite Shaft

Go down 
+17
a569805
LeftRightUpDown
wleongkw
Yarra
angyongshen
Dan5
smallhorse
DGman
guangzhao
Bingrenn
TigaWood
maslie
ttkm
sagiteric
bogeyman72
enwee
golfnut1980
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
golfnut1980
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
golfnut1980

Steel vs Graphite Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi everyone,

Wanted to ask for advice on how should a beginner golfer decide whether to start with steel or graphite iron set? The thing is, if my swing isn't consistent yet, how would I know what set would suit me...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 10:53 pm

Which one are you more comfortable with? Ok, graphite is very light, steel does gave you the stability and distance control better.
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 10:54 pm

Have u signed up for lessons? If you have, my guess is asking your coach is the best.... good luck! Cool
Back to top Go down
sagiteric
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 11:21 pm

golfnut1980 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Wanted to ask for advice on how should a beginner golfer decide whether to start with steel or graphite iron set? The thing is, if my swing isn't consistent yet, how would I know what set would suit me...

Hi golfnut, just for info..
http://golf.about.com/cs/componentscustom/a/steelvsgraphite.htm

Cheers
Back to top Go down
ttkm
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 11:29 pm

The qns was steel / graphite . Answering the question: go graphite! As a beginner , the further the ball go the happier right. To hoots to distance control. The further the better. So graphite. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
maslie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
maslie

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 11:40 pm

Hei.....that's one of the best moment if this is your 1st clubs, you will know when you hold it right away. Either for the grip the shaft the or the club head, when "Love is in the air" mixing with kan cheong guts and disturbing your sleep...so that's the one! Bring it home and take them to bed with you... Laughing And so later you don't want blamming someone else for the wrong picked while you start learning. Very Happy
Anyway you'll not play it for very long and when you have budget consider to keep your first set, somehow I miss my first club so much...just to hold them Sad .
Good luck on your journey...cheerrssss
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 11:41 pm

take the cheapest for a start
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Bingrenn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 1:23 am

I'm having this problem now too..Deciding to get a beginner iron set for myself. I'm using a passed down old Dunlop iron set (w graphite shafts) but it's as heavy or even heavier than some steel shafts irons.

Deciding between TM Burner 1.0, Callaway Diablo Edge or Nike SQ MachSpeed Iron set (steel shafts). Any advice bros/sis? =)
Back to top Go down
guangzhao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 8:09 am

Bingrenn wrote:
I'm having this problem now too..Deciding to get a beginner iron set for myself. I'm using a passed down old Dunlop iron set (w graphite shafts) but it's as heavy or even heavier than some steel shafts irons.

Deciding between TM Burner 1.0, Callaway Diablo Edge or Nike SQ MachSpeed Iron set (steel shafts). Any advice bros/sis? =)

I found this very useful when getting my first set...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQE4jwH0u50&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 9:48 am

seebayho wrote:
take the cheapest for a start

i used to think the same....but there are some pretty big and strong beginners and if they use the wrong set to start, they may give up golf altogether.

a certain degree of optimization is needed to help even beginners start on the right track.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
golfnut1980
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
golfnut1980

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 9:52 am

Bingrenn wrote:

What a coincidence, I actually got a TM Burner 1.0 iron set (steel) recently Smile My main consideration then was price but wt was important to me as well. Apparently each club is only about 85g, compared to the graphite version which is 65g (correct me if I'm wrong). I think the feel is better than my prev Cleveland CG7 steel set. Then while I was testing out my new set at the range, there was a demo of some tourstage and PRGR graphite sets. I tried a few and wow I actually gained quite a bit of extra distance with those...made me regret a little until I saw the price tags on those sets hahaha...The salesman actually told me that for beginners it might make sense to get graphite first and then switch to steel after a while when you get a smoother faster swing. But if you are alr used to steel, he told me to just persevere lor...

Anyway, that's the reason I started this thread, getting a bit confused with what I shd hv gotten but I guess it's a bit too late for me to change now Razz
Back to top Go down
Bingrenn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:19 am

golfnut1980 wrote:
Bingrenn wrote:

What a coincidence, I actually got a TM Burner 1.0 iron set (steel) recently Smile My main consideration then was price but wt was important to me as well. Apparently each club is only about 85g, compared to the graphite version which is 65g (correct me if I'm wrong). I think the feel is better than my prev Cleveland CG7 steel set. Then while I was testing out my new set at the range, there was a demo of some tourstage and PRGR graphite sets. I tried a few and wow I actually gained quite a bit of extra distance with those...made me regret a little until I saw the price tags on those sets hahaha...The salesman actually told me that for beginners it might make sense to get graphite first and then switch to steel after a while when you get a smoother faster swing. But if you are alr used to steel, he told me to just persevere lor...

Anyway, that's the reason I started this thread, getting a bit confused with what I shd hv gotten but I guess it's a bit too late for me to change now Razz

Haha! how much you paid for the burner 1.0 set? I'm still deciding between those 3 sets because the TM set got no sand wedge. What if i hit into bunker, which iron should i use to get it out? Cus my current beginner set has a standard set of irons all the way up till sand as for TM Burner 1.0, they only have till approach iron.
Back to top Go down
guangzhao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:26 am

https://youtu.be/vQE4jwH0u50

This really helped me a lot in my selection...
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:30 am

golfnut1980 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Based on past experiences and also bringing a beginner friend to the game(observation on selection of clubs).

For beginner (ideal)
1. Graphite Shaft on game improvement irons(until your swing speed is consistent, then change to steel)
2. On 1, it will make you enjoy the game in the golf course. (you get distance, even if you mishit)
3. on 1 and 2. grab beers to laugh it off. I brought my friend to the golf course after 2 driving range. we had fun.
4. he is taking up serious golf coaching now.
5. reasons to take up golf. beers and caddies.

ok. point 5 was a joke.
We are all visual animals, hence seeing the ball fly gives very good feeling for a beginner that he can achieve by himself. psst. I have yet to tell my friend about the ball theory and club fitting stories yet. one step at a time.

smallhorse
Back to top Go down
golfnut1980
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
golfnut1980

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Bingrenn wrote:
golfnut1980 wrote:
Bingrenn wrote:

Haha! how much you paid for the burner 1.0 set? I'm still deciding between those 3 sets because the TM set got no sand wedge. What if i hit into bunker, which iron should i use to get it out? Cus my current beginner set has a standard set of irons all the way up till sand as for TM Burner 1.0, they only have till approach iron.

I paid $449, the graphite set was $529 I think...aiyah maybe shd have gotten the graphite one, agonized about it at the shop until the salesman also pek chek...I already have a 60 deg wedge from sometime back. Think Pan West was having a sale of rusty wedges then and I paid like $30 or $50 for it can't remember...At my skill level (or lack of it) probably doesn't matter what wedge I use Sad
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Bingrenn wrote:

TM burner 1.o is good but personally I'm more of the Callaway fan boy....actually most people started with either those all in one set or handed down clubs, some ok some very hard to hit. I remembered some years back I was still using my X-18 graphite, I saw this beginner trying so hard to hit the balls in the range, using some very old clubs, so I lend him try my X-18, immediately he was hitting better already mainly because technology changes.
Back to top Go down
Bingrenn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 5:01 pm

golfnut1980 wrote:

I paid $449, the graphite set was $529 I think...aiyah maybe shd have gotten the graphite one, agonized about it at the shop until the salesman also pek chek...I already have a 60 deg wedge from sometime back. Think Pan West was having a sale of rusty wedges then and I paid like $30 or $50 for it can't remember...At my skill level (or lack of it) probably doesn't matter what wedge I use Sad

Y you think shd have gotten the graphite one? Burner 1.0 Steel is very heavy? I'm learning still as well.. Haha.. At least u got a set that's decent i feel. Practice more will get better de!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 5:03 pm

Bingrenn wrote:
golfnut1980 wrote:

Y you think shd have gotten the graphite one? Burner 1.0 Steel is very heavy? I'm learning still as well.. Haha.. At least u got a set that's decent i feel. Practice more will get better de!
Nippon steel is ok lah, 950 NS Pro not DG unless it's SL. Btw the US and Jap spec graphite can be quite a lot of difference also.
Back to top Go down
Bingrenn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 5:04 pm

enwee wrote:
Bingrenn wrote:
golfnut1980 wrote:

Nippon steel is ok lah, 950 NS Pro not DG unless it's SL. Btw the US and Jap spec graphite can be quite a lot of difference also.

If lets say I buy the Burner 1.0 Steel set from GD, it is nippon steel?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Bingrenn wrote:
enwee wrote:
Bingrenn wrote:
golfnut1980 wrote:

If lets say I buy the Burner 1.0 Steel set from GD, it is nippon steel?
Don't think so, but u can take a look at the label, if nippon it'll be write on the label as NS Pro. You can go TM demo day to feel the difference.
Back to top Go down
Dan5
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dan5

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Does anyone feel the difference when using graphite shaft iron to hit out from thick rough compared to steel shaft?

I usually experience the ball to slice more when using grahite iron, just like to check if others are having the same issue or it is just me.

Back to top Go down
Bingrenn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:47 am

enwee wrote:
Bingrenn wrote:

TM burner 1.o is good but personally I'm more of the Callaway fan boy....actually most people started with either those all in one set or handed down clubs, some ok some very hard to hit. I remembered some years back I was still using my X-18 graphite, I saw this beginner trying so hard to hit the balls in the range, using some very old clubs, so I lend him try my X-18, immediately he was hitting better already mainly because technology changes.

Hi, the TM Burner 1.0 set i'm looking at is from GD which is from 4-PW + A without SW i think at $449. I have a budget now & still learning but I wanna change mainly because when i hit my friend's TM Superlaunch irons i can feel a big difference as compared to my passed-down irons.

My hands doesnt feel as pain/tired after a few hits using the TM SL irons. I rmb that those steel irons come with TM burner steel if i nv rmb wrongly not NS PRO, not sure if it's gd anot? =)
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 9:53 am

Bingrenn wrote:
enwee wrote:
Bingrenn wrote:

Hi, the TM Burner 1.0 set i'm looking at is from GD which is from 4-PW + A without SW i think at $449. I have a budget now & still learning but I wanna change mainly because when i hit my friend's TM Superlaunch irons i can feel a big difference as compared to my passed-down irons.

My hands doesnt feel as pain/tired after a few hits using the TM SL irons. I rmb that those steel irons come with TM burner steel if i nv rmb wrongly not NS PRO, not sure if it's gd anot? =)
I don't think GD have any J-spec clubs. If steel I would advice you strongly not to take it, even at $300, I think it's tough for beginner to play with DG R300. You should go around trying clubs not just on TM alone. Superlaunch is easy because of the thick sole, burner ver 1 sole is thinner but also easy to play not not as easy as Superlaunch. For beginners, I would think get a set which give you confidence.
Back to top Go down
Bingrenn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 am

enwee wrote:

I don't think GD have any J-spec clubs. If steel I would advice you strongly not to take it, even at $300, I think it's tough for beginner to play with DG R300. You should go around trying clubs not just on TM alone. Superlaunch is easy because of the thick sole, burner ver 1 sole is thinner but also easy to play not not as easy as Superlaunch. For beginners, I would think get a set which give you confidence.

Yep! I'm aware that GD don't have J-spec clubs. But J-spec clubs usually selling at a price much higher than wd GD can offer right? I'm looking at steel cause my coach has recommended me to take on a steel & start training on that. I had used his irons before & I can hit reasonably well (better than my current iron set). That's y i'm looking at the TM burner 1.0 (steel) from GD as a start. I think the shafts for tt set should not be DG R300? =) Any other iron sets you would recommend for me & where can I get it that's within my budget or around $500?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 10:56 am

Bingrenn wrote:
enwee wrote:

Yep! I'm aware that GD don't have J-spec clubs. But J-spec clubs usually selling at a price much higher than wd GD can offer right? I'm looking at steel cause my coach has recommended me to take on a steel & start training on that. I had used his irons before & I can hit reasonably well (better than my current iron set). That's y i'm looking at the TM burner 1.0 (steel) from GD as a start. I think the shafts for tt set should not be DG R300? =) Any other iron sets you would recommend for me & where can I get it that's within my budget or around $500?

If you looked around, TM US-spec is mainly DG R300 or Project X 5.5 so I doubt it's NS-Pro. Well normally people hit better with other people's clubs, but when you owned it, it's a different story. Also if you are hitting only 7 or 8 iron the longer irons will cause more problems, I doubt it's any problem and in range and on course it's so much different, good range player is not = good course player. I'm sure you read a lot on the forum on people trying to bring the range shots onto course. $500 you can try mizuno mp52/3 second hand with NS Pro 950.

Btw what sets are you using now?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steel vs Graphite Shaft
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next