Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Graphite or Steel for irons

Go down 
+16
rsenal
milos9680
yanguei
neutralgolfer
toonified
Ant
Rafj
abadan
nutty88
flashpacker
willytan
Kaii
kissthegreen
billcoke
Turbo
superputt
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Graphite or Steel for irons Empty
PostSubject: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 5:39 pm

For golfers here who are over 50 years gold, what kind of shaft do you prefer on your irons?  graphite or steel?  

If you like either one of them, what shaft weight do you prefer?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 10:06 pm

It depends primarily on your swing speed and the ability to handle much heavier shaft ... I have come across some ppl who are in their fifties still use S-Flex steel shafts because of their high swing speed and they are well built ...
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 12:34 am

superputt wrote:
For golfers here who are over 50 years gold, what kind of shaft do you prefer on your irons?  graphite or steel?  

If you like either one of them, what shaft weight do you prefer?

I'm a beginner but using NSPro 95 steel shaft, recommended by my club fitter. He doesn't want me to waste money on upgrading from graphite to steel shaft.

As for your age, if unsure, it is better to consult the club fitters instead of off-the-shelve club set. They have the equipment to measure your club speed and your ball contact.
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 10:04 am

Graphite is more friendly on the joints.. I played with my friend's spare yamaha graphite set (mid to low kick ) for a full 18 holes when I was on overseas trip. I have been using steel for quite some time and for some reasons, I do feel some sense of effortless in terms of getting the ball up. Taking into account I have not used graphite for many years and I hit about 50 range balls before hitting the green, the distances are quite comparable. I am quite pragmatic person when come to golf. By all means, go to a club fitter and I agree that is is always the recommended choice. But unless you are a competitive and consistent golfer, and all things being equal,  I just  feel that the choice of shaft material (flex is quite important though) is not detrimental factor in terms of game fulfillment and enjoyment. The hip turns, keeping the angle, keeping the lag, keeping the head down, others..., those are the fundamentals.. Always got reminded of these when I watched my missus taking lessons from her pro (and yes, one is in the forum Cool)
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi Superputt

I have both graphite and steel shaft sets from 50 to 100g . Iron shaft has more control but tiring while Graphite shaft is easier to swing but less feel.

want club testing?
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 4:51 pm

Kaii wrote:
Hi Superputt

I have both graphite and steel shaft sets from 50 to 100g . Iron shaft has more control but tiring while Graphite shaft is easier to swing but less feel.

want club testing?

I can't imagine having a 50g graphite shaft on my iron.  it will be way too light....

Also yes I did get fitted and the fitter recommended a steel shaft. I quoted him "steel shaft is more consistent than graphite shaft".  Is that the truth?
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Suerputt, 

Graphite or steel shaft all boils down to individuals preference for feel, head weight, way of swing, swing speed, dispersion etc etc... There is no end to it.

U have to give up some n gain others if u decide to make the change. 

My recommendation if u are still swinging strong;

Light weight steel shaft (NS pro 850) 

If u wanna take it easy;

Graphite shaft like TourAD etc in 65-85g range.

Last edited by willytan on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 5:19 pm

5i weight / swing weight (approx.)
Bassara 55x5ct R - 362g / C9
Tour AD75 R - 382.5g / D0/1
NS Pro 950GH S - 405g / D2
KBS Tour X - 430.5g / D3

If lighter shaft , can feel more head weight so the feel of impact is less.
C9 swing weight is suitable for older golfer like me , can go 36 holes without much physical toll.
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Kaii wrote:
5i weight / swing weight (approx.)
Bassara 55x5ct R - 362g / C9
Tour AD75 R - 382.5g / D0/1
NS Pro 950GH S - 405g / D2
KBS Tour X - 430.5g / D3

If lighter shaft , can feel more head weight so the feel of impact is less.
C9 swing weight is suitable for older golfer like me , can go 36 holes without much physical toll.

Wow thank you so much for doing this.... The bassara and NS Pro 950GH difference in total weight is huge!!  about 40g....

My current iron have a D0 swing weight... so a C9 swing weight is not much different. 

Regarding the weight, I had a Cobra S2 with stock graphite shaft.  The shaft if I can recall correctly had a 70 g graphite shaft.  Now I have Mizuno iron with a NS Pro 950GH.  To be honest, when I swing it, it doesn't feel that much difference.  Sometimes the Mizuno even felt lighter... so I'm kinda confused about the weight selection.
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 7:06 pm

I have a Srixon Driver with a Matrix 40g shaft weights about 293g , was too light so I added 6g to the head then became too heavy to swing (D6) so I changed a heavier grip to balance off.

years back , most of the pro are using titleist blades with about D5 swing weight. unless you are physically fit, you wouldn't last 18 holes.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Maybe we Shldnt go into such technical details;

D6 - doesn't mean it's heavy, just feel more head weight.
D2 - doesn't mean it's well balanced if u use very heavy head n shaft.
D0 - doesn't mean very light, it can be shaft weight vs head weight ratio is higher.

Hahaha...
I m just trying to confuse each other. 
At the end of the day, u will have to experiment it personally to know what is suitable. U will never find "that one" bcos it doesn't exist.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 11:40 am

Total weight is important, not just swing weight
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Tom uses Harry's club , Dick uses Tom's club and Harry uses Diners Club. Guess Tom, Dick and Harry use any clubs whether heavy D6 or C9 , except Diners Club is not a golf club. After all , Tom Dick and Harry do play golf.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 9:56 am

Is steel more superior than graphite? Surprised to hear that it is considered an upgrade. In terms of costs, graphite is sure more expensive than steel shafts. I think it all boils down to individual preferences and his swing characteristics.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 10:46 am

willytan wrote:
Maybe we Shldnt go into such technical details;

D6 - doesn't mean it's heavy, just feel more head weight.
D2 - doesn't mean it's well balanced if u use very heavy head n shaft.
D0 - doesn't mean very light, it can be shaft weight vs head weight ratio is higher.

Hahaha...
I m just trying to confuse each other. 
At the end of the day, u will have to experiment it personally to know what is suitable. U will never find "that one" bcos it doesn't exist.

LIKE! Smile
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 8:58 am

nutty88 wrote:
Is steel more superior than graphite? Surprised to hear that it is considered an upgrade. In terms of costs, graphite is sure more expensive than steel shafts. I think it all boils down to individual preferences and his swing characteristics.

Superior in terms of what?? feel?  Dispersion?  Consistency? 

And there are graphite shaft that have the same cost as steel shaft.  Xcaliber, Gtech, etc.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 9:48 am

superputt wrote:
nutty88 wrote:

And there are graphite shaft that have the same cost as steel shaft.  Xcaliber, Gtech, etc.
Well, why not compare costs between the high-end graphite vs steel shafts?
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 6:30 pm

nutty88 wrote:
superputt wrote:
nutty88 wrote:

Well, why not compare costs between the high-end graphite vs steel shafts?

Which graphite shaft is the high end product according to you?  let me know the model.
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 11:51 am

The high end Graphite includes the Aerotech, UST Mamiya Recoil, Tour AD, etc.....

I personally prefer Graphite shafts because of the feel despite my swing speed. Am currently playing with Steelfiber i95 stiff flex on my irons. Irons are on a D0 swing weight but overall weight of 5 iron is 423gms...

Best advice I can give is for you to try the different kinds of shafts or go to a renowned clubfitter to find one that suits your swing. 

Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Rafj wrote:
The high end Graphite includes the Aerotech, UST Mamiya Recoil, Tour AD, etc.....

I personally prefer Graphite shafts because of the feel despite my swing speed. Am currently playing with Steelfiber i95 stiff flex on my irons. Irons are on a D0 swing weight but overall weight of 5 iron is 423gms...

Best advice I can give is for you to try the different kinds of shafts or go to a renowned clubfitter to find one that suits your swing. 

Good Luck.

how do you describe the feel of steelfiber?
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 11:58 am

Steelfiber does not feel as 'harsh' as steel but still gives great control. It's kinda like the in between of steel and graphite......

Best that you go give it a try to judge for yourself.

You can contact the guys at BFG and have a feel at their studio.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 11:24 pm

Was hesitating to change back to graphite after playing so long on steel shaft but due to injury had to. Today graphite  shaft are very different from those designed 10 years ago. The dispersion can be tight.  I am glad I did. Easier on my injury which is recovering now. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 8:02 am

I moved on from the steelfibers to the recoils and I have to say it feels so much more stable with tighter dispersion. 

One of my friends gave a very good description while at the range... Every shot is like a carbon copy of the previous one!
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 11:16 am

Any idea, how much is the recoil shaft?
Back to top Go down
yanguei
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 4:28 pm

I switched to graphite due to back injury and old age. Recently managed to get a Srixon Z545 with Miyazaki Blue iron shaft. 85 gram. The feel is stable, smooth and almost same weight feel as the lighter steel shaft. Overall feel is soft because of the forged cavity and the graphite shaft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Graphite or Steel for irons
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next