Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

steel vs graphite shafts

Go down 
+22
duffader
mengteck71
JCase
pocketace
kg7068
TourSwing
DGman
bian1980
TheFocalPoint
mizzy
jaketang
JGoh
slinger
wilkang
golf_snowman
Duval_S
blee67
asahi
Derek
DimWit Kid
Birdman
genexis
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
genexis
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

steel vs graphite shafts Empty
PostSubject: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Hi all,

I just picked up golf a couple of months ago. Can anybody share whats the difference between steel shaft and graphite shaft irons?
Which should i use?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 12:38 am

In very simple terms steel is heavier, more stable and suited to a wide range of golfers.

Graphite is more suited to those with smoother rhythmic swings and slower swing speeds.

It's really very simple to google graphite shafts versus steel shafts to get a multitude of answers.

Try it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DimWit Kid
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DimWit Kid

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 12:51 am

Birdman, what about those with slow swing speed and no rythm? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:01 am

DimWit Kid wrote:
Birdman, what about those with slow swing speed and no rythm? Very Happy

Play chess! ROFL
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:17 am

my 2 cents worth from searching the net for info on graphite vs steel ... as a beginner (depending on what keywords u use in the search engine), most of what u find will give u the impression that u should use graphite. However, a lot of the stuff on the net was also before super light steel shafts hit the mass market.

best tip i can give ... before buying anything, try it out on the range first, not after buying ...

when u start, just buy something cheap, learning the basics of a swing can be done with any club
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:25 am

Derek, what's wrong with graphite?

I use graphite and play perfectly fine to a score of 105, which coincidentally is the same gram weight of many steel shafts on the market.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:38 am

nothing wrong with graphite bro ... but steel is cheaper ...

nowadays there are 75gm steel shafts and 125gm X-Flex graphite shafts ... materials have really advanced ... my own steel shafts are 86gm and more flexible than some OEM S-Flex graphite shafts

guess what i am trying to say is that until u have a stable swing, dun spend too much money on a shiny set of clubs
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:48 am

Ahhh, but there is a way to buy graphite cheap. Wait for set of irons to be obsolete then buy. Obsolete don't mean no good.

My old-as-the hills Cleveland CG4 Tour is shafted with the Graffaloy Prolaunch Blue, and the they were going for a song at $699 for 3-PW. Admittedly I had to pay a $100 more and hand carry them back from Penang cos I thought they were out of stock here. My little bad luck that they shipped in more stock and at a lower price a month after I got mine. But I'm loving them like you are loving your dinked and dented MIURAs. Very Happy

Yes, graphite can be cheap too, like me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 7:49 am

Birdman wrote:

I use graphite and play perfectly fine to a score of 105, which coincidentally is the same gram weight of many steel shafts on the market.

I agree! Especially when the same graphite shafts can play to 84 too.
lol!
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 8:27 am

Birdman wrote:

Birdie plays to 105? Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 8:58 am

fm one beginner to another......at the start of golfing 'career'......I don think it makes much difference ....as long as you don go for some tour or pro-type of shaft....
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 am

blee2007 wrote:

Birdie plays to 105? Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect

Yup, this bird just don't practice and play enough. Sad

It was at the 2nd GR anniversary game, as Slinger and Derek were my witnesses.

Kept returning to my natural habitat to visit my brothers. Can't help it, NSRCC is a bird sanctuary.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:03 am

genexis wrote:
Hi all,

I just picked up golf a couple of months ago. Can anybody share whats the difference between steel shaft and graphite shaft irons?
Which should i use?

hi bro

just wonder are you currently taking any golf lesson with any pro around ?

if yes, maybe your pro could suggest what shaft is suitable for you, but then again, it really depend on the pro too. Some good pro really knows quite alot about golf equipment.

if you are not taking any lesson and pick up this game couple months ago, I would like to suggest maybe you might wanna consider taking up golf lesson with some good pro around. They are very good source of information for many fundamental questions.

In general, difference between steel shaft and graphite shaft :

1. the material use to construct the shaft is totally different
2. the process of shaft construction is also different, and in general, graphite can be more complicated, thus the selling price of a set of graphite shaft club could cost higher price than a set of steel shaft club.
3. there are no right or wrong as to who should use graphite or steel shaft, it's all depend on individaul swing pattern and a clubfitter would be the best person to suggest what shaft best suit you.

Hope that would help you.
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:07 am

Try Steelfiber shafts..
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:09 am

wilkang wrote:
Try Steelfiber shafts..

wah !!!!....darm expensive shaft lor...you darm rich lor......haha !!!!
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:14 am

Well..it's better than switching every few months.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:15 am

wilkang wrote:
Well..it's better than switching every few months.. Laughing

ya lor, if not, every few month, you break the shaft and need to change again....haha !!!!
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:59 am

Birdman wrote:

Graphite is more suited to those with smoother rhythmic swings and slower swing speeds.

Try it. Very Happy

i play graphite.....

i get those smooth rhythmic swings from my young days in ZOUL n VU.....
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:09 am

It's more important to develop a repeatable swing first. When you are somewhat consistently hitting to the same distance with the one club you are now using, and sure that you have been bitten by the golf bug, then it may be time to start shopping around and fine tuning your equipment wants to your swing needs. As your swing and game develops, you will be tempted to change your set anyways, better to do it then when you are more experienced and can make a more informed decision.

No one learns how to drive in a Lexus right? We all start with a Honda. So for the most part, it's fine to start out with a steel shaft which is inexpensive and readily available, most loan clubs are steel anyway. Can't advise you on what flex since we don't know how strong you are and what kind shot pattern you are repeating.

Steelfiber shafts are exotic aftermarket shafts that are not for you at this point, stay with the stock offerings that come with the set of irons. You will hear opinions that stock shafts are not up to snuff, don't worry about it. If they really are no good, the equipment companies will not be moving their stock out of the shops, and millions of golfers around the world will be playing very very bad golf. Most of us can get by on stock shafts.

Back to top Go down
JGoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JGoh

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:14 am

asahi wrote:
Birdman wrote:

lol!

Wow! Birdman 84 yesterday! and who says he will not be buaya'd.... What a Face
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:20 am

asahi wrote:
Birdman wrote:

lol!

No denying it. Just a matter of in whose hands. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:24 am

JGoh wrote:

Wow! Birdman 84 yesterday! and who says he will not be buaya'd.... What a Face

I agree. Last night going into dinner you already tried to with me, remember? What a Face

Topic OFF
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:33 am

look for any clubfitter for advise... i think DGman can help u....

i think nowadays got those light n "flexier" steel Vs those heavier n stiffer graphite.....
so donkey years ago theory of steel is heavier n stiffer than graphite does not apply now.....
well my 1 cent....
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:44 am

In selecting a shaft, its all about the weight and the flex.

graphite allows shafts to have pretty funky parameters of bend profiles to be made, butt, mid and tip stiffness can be adjusted by design.

steel shafts are more uniform and wall thickness and diameters are the only parameters that can be changed by design to have different bend profiles, but no manufacturer talks about steel shafts that way like graphite shafts... maybe the DG spinners qualify.

well, now a days they can make graphite shafts heavier than steel shafts and vice versa.

Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Genexis is going to be one confused two month old golfer. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: steel vs graphite shafts   steel vs graphite shafts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

steel vs graphite shafts
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next