Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Graphite or Steel for irons

Go down 
+16
rsenal
milos9680
yanguei
neutralgolfer
toonified
Ant
Rafj
abadan
nutty88
flashpacker
willytan
Kaii
kissthegreen
billcoke
Turbo
superputt
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Can anyone give a feedback on these shafts?
http://www.ustmamiya.com/golf-shafts/irons/mp6

Feel? smooth or boardy?
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 8:28 pm

Rafj wrote:
Steelfiber does not feel as 'harsh' as steel but still gives great control. It's kinda like the in between of steel and graphite......

Best that you go give it a try to judge for yourself.

You can contact the guys at BFG and have a feel at their studio.

Cheers

According to your WITB, you have mizuno blades.  Do you still feel the soft forged feel using the steelfiber shafts?
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 10:52 pm

Soft forged feel didn't change. That is about the ball striking, about which part of the face the ball is struck at....

The shaft change gave me a bit more distance and helped me feel and time my release of the clubhead better. This gave me better tempo and control over my Project X shafts.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
yanguei
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 11:01 am

yes. agreed with Rafi. the lighter weight with graphite indeed help my aged muscle to time my release better. But not too light as the swing might be too wild due to unable to feel the shaft and head. From my own experience, a reduction of 10 to 15 gram is enough to feel the difference.

With steel, I have to be in tip top condition. Hard to maintain over 18 holes. Impossible if playing consecutive rounds of golf when on golf trip.
Back to top Go down
milos9680
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 11:57 am

yanguei wrote:
yes. agreed with Rafi. the lighter weight with graphite indeed help my aged muscle to time my release better. But not too light as the swing might be too wild due to unable to feel the shaft and head. From my own experience, a reduction of 10 to 15 gram is enough to feel the difference.

With steel, I have to be in tip top condition. Hard to maintain over 18 holes. Impossible if playing consecutive rounds of golf when on golf trip.

I second that...for me it was my injury or more specifically, tennis (or golf) elbow.  played with steelfiber i95 for bout 6 to 7 months and now..back to iron 115g.
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Here is a discussion between  Russ Ryden n Fujikura Alex Dee on graphite shaft kick n dispersion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiKYn1FW4wM.

my opinion is if you are able to use heavy shaft of 90g up, stick to steel shaft as manufacturers are trying to imitate the characteristics of steel shaft in their graphite shafts. perhaps its the "gengsi factor" of having expensive shafts on your irons to make you part with your money.
Back to top Go down
rsenal
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
rsenal

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 8:26 pm

oday carbon is better than steel, it can be lighter or even heavier but the feel and accuracy is better. The only negative is the best carbon is very expensive.

Fujikura MCI and Roddio are highly touted.

Distance has been reported to be better, feel is better, accuracy is equal in most cases.

At the end of the day, the shafts are just part of the puzzle.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 11:59 am

Go for graphite if it's suit you, I am changing to graphite shafts soon.
Back to top Go down
Fatboy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Fatboy

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Hi,

May I seek comments on Steelfibre (SF) shaft as compare with Steel shafts in general ?

If the weight of the shafts is similar, would I be taking stiff flex for SF when I am currently using R flex True Temper shaft ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.permatex.com
edgolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 12:04 pm

Fatboy wrote:
Hi,

May I seek comments on Steelfibre (SF) shaft as compare with Steel shafts in general ?

If the weight of the shafts is similar, would I be taking stiff flex for SF when I am currently using R flex True Temper shaft ?

Aerotech plays stiffer to flex. If you're using regular is steel, best to stick to regular in aerotech or even soft step them once...depending on the steel shaft you were using?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 1:34 pm

edgolf wrote:
Fatboy wrote:
Hi,

Aerotech plays stiffer to flex. If you're using regular is steel, best to stick to regular in aerotech or even soft step them once...depending on the steel shaft you were using?
Yes
I tend to agree
Back to top Go down
milos9680
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 2:10 pm

pocketace wrote:
edgolf wrote:
Fatboy wrote:
Hi,

Yes
I tend to agree
same here
Back to top Go down
Fatboy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Fatboy

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Understands and I have the same opinion as well through my brief understanding of SF shafts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.permatex.com
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 3:20 pm

I think most of all is whether u are able to use the flex of the shaft to your advantage. otherwise its like playing with a broomstick. feel so dead.
Back to top Go down
rsenal
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
rsenal

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Guys, just had a round with onoff shafted with roddio i8 Sr Flex and yamaha rmx forged with fujikura MCI 80 r flex.. Normal gamer is onoff forged with nspro 850 r flex.
No range time with those graphite set and i know my normal distances with the onoff forged.

Based on my round today, graphite shaft really shine! I gained a full club up for each iron. Silky smooth shaft and accurate. Love the feel and kick it gives.
What was apparent was the MCI flew higher compared to the roddios.
Id highly recommend these two shafts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Graphite or Steel for irons   Graphite or Steel for irons - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Graphite or Steel for irons
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2