Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steel vs Graphite Shaft

Go down 
+17
a569805
LeftRightUpDown
wleongkw
Yarra
angyongshen
Dan5
smallhorse
DGman
guangzhao
Bingrenn
TigaWood
maslie
ttkm
sagiteric
bogeyman72
enwee
golfnut1980
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bingrenn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 1:19 pm

enwee wrote:

If you looked around, TM US-spec is mainly DG R300 or Project X 5.5 so I doubt it's NS-Pro. Well normally people hit better with other people's clubs, but when you owned it, it's a different story. Also if you are hitting only 7 or 8 iron the longer irons will cause more problems, I doubt it's any problem and in range and on course it's so much different, good range player is not = good course player. I'm sure you read a lot on the forum on people trying to bring the range shots onto course. $500 you can try mizuno mp52/3 second hand with NS Pro 950.

Btw what sets are you using now?

I agree in range & on course is totally different feeling all together man! I'm actually looking at buying new sets of clubs. Second hand don't know where to get also & not sure how to check if the clubs are ok or not? I'm currently using a passed-down Dunlop set of beginners clubs come with driver & hybrids? Was told that this set is from China, hence, not very good if wanna achieve distance or control. But it's a gd set to set me off for Golf! =) At least i'm becoming more & more interested at improving myself at golf, be it equipment or skills.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Bingrenn wrote:
enwee wrote:

If you looked around, TM US-spec is mainly DG R300 or Project X 5.5 so I doubt it's NS-Pro. Well normally people hit better with other people's clubs, but when you owned it, it's a different story. Also if you are hitting only 7 or 8 iron the longer irons will cause more problems, I doubt it's any problem and in range and on course it's so much different, good range player is not = good course player. I'm sure you read a lot on the forum on people trying to bring the range shots onto course. $500 you can try mizuno mp52/3 second hand with NS Pro 950.

Btw what sets are you using now?

I agree in range & on course is totally different feeling all together man! I'm actually looking at buying new sets of clubs. Second hand don't know where to get also & not sure how to check if the clubs are ok or not? I'm currently using a passed-down Dunlop set of beginners clubs come with driver & hybrids? Was told that this set is from China, hence, not very good if wanna achieve distance or control. But it's a gd set to set me off for Golf! =) At least i'm becoming more & more interested at improving myself at golf, be it equipment or skills.

How can dunlop be compared to TM or Callaway? Also you pay peanuts you get monkey. 2nd hand clubs you need to check the face as long as the face is ok then should be ok. But also totally depending on the price and model. But I do think Callaway X series are very good for beginner as well. Ultimately you are the one playing so you got to decide on what you want. But as I told u before, superlaunch and the burner version 1 irons are quite different.
Back to top Go down
Bingrenn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 12:57 am

enwee wrote:

How can dunlop be compared to TM or Callaway? Also you pay peanuts you get monkey. 2nd hand clubs you need to check the face as long as the face is ok then should be ok. But also totally depending on the price and model. But I do think Callaway X series are very good for beginner as well. Ultimately you are the one playing so you got to decide on what you want. But as I told u before, superlaunch and the burner version 1 irons are quite different.

Yeah.. Today went down to FESC saw a set of Callaway irons, i think is X-22? Never ask how much but looks not bad. Saw R9 steel selling at $699 too. Will continue to look around before i decide on which irons to invest into. =) Thanks for e advices!
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 3:40 am

Bingrenn wrote:

Yeah.. Today went down to FESC saw a set of Callaway irons, i think is X-22? Never ask how much but looks not bad. Saw R9 steel selling at $699 too. Will continue to look around before i decide on which irons to invest into. =) Thanks for e advices!

Personally, although callaway's x-series are easy to hit. Had the x-18 when i started, love those clubs until sold to friend that was starting out. However i feel callaway's steel shaft is a tad heavier then those that comes default with tm's? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Just to share with you, my personal purchase history since starting in Feb this year.
X-18 steel (6 weeks usage on/off) -> 14's TC660 graphite 63g (3 months usage on/off) -> Callaway Project X steel s300 (2 weeks) -> Titleist 775-CB steel s300 (3 weeks and ongoing) -> KZG CB dynalite r300 (2 weeks and ongoing)

Basically, I think golf is a sport that you always make your hand itch and want to try new stuff. Of cos, I have friends who doesn't change anything until it breaks. End of the day i feel you should just get what is pleasing to you. Be it the brand or the look. That way, you can't blame others for the purchasing decision, also on a good note, you will put more effort into making it work for you. That's what I feel. Wink

Btw, I am thinking of letting go of the TC 660. If you or anyone is interested, can PM for the price or pics. its 5-PAS (8-pieces), its CB and it looks something like these:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/golbaka/item/vc3-1203-64720/
but of cos at a more affordable price, even with an extra A & S. Haven't got around to put up the WTS thread in marketplace Rolling Eyes

Just thought I share my experience from a newbie's perspective, maybe something different from seasoned and experienced players in the forum. Cheers. Beer Keep Swing
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 9:44 am

angyongshen wrote:
Bingrenn wrote:

Personally, although callaway's x-series are easy to hit. Had the x-18 when i started, love those clubs until sold to friend that was starting out. However i feel callaway's steel shaft is a tad heavier then those that comes default with tm's? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Just to share with you, my personal purchase history since starting in Feb this year.
X-18 steel (6 weeks usage on/off) -> 14's TC660 graphite 63g (3 months usage on/off) -> Callaway Project X steel s300 (2 weeks) -> Titleist 775-CB steel s300 (3 weeks and ongoing) -> KZG CB dynalite r300 (2 weeks and ongoing)

Basically, I think golf is a sport that you always make your hand itch and want to try new stuff. Of cos, I have friends who doesn't change anything until it breaks. End of the day i feel you should just get what is pleasing to you. Be it the brand or the look. That way, you can't blame others for the purchasing decision, also on a good note, you will put more effort into making it work for you. That's what I feel. Wink

Btw, I am thinking of letting go of the TC 660. If you or anyone is interested, can PM for the price or pics. its 5-PAS (8-pieces), its CB and it looks something like these:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/golbaka/item/vc3-1203-64720/
but of cos at a more affordable price, even with an extra A & S. Haven't got around to put up the WTS thread in marketplace Rolling Eyes

Just thought I share my experience from a newbie's perspective, maybe something different from seasoned and experienced players in the forum. Cheers. Beer Keep Swing

The callaway steel if US Spec, it's fitted with memphis steel something like DG, of cos it's not easy but if J-spec with NS pro it's should be ok.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 10:18 am

enwee...the Memphis 10 is a very special shaft. i am always on the look out for those babies....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 10:30 am

DGman wrote:
enwee...the Memphis 10 is a very special shaft. i am always on the look out for those babies....

I got one shafted to a set of BFG iron. No grips yet, waiting for a lucky buyer...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 10:32 am

DGman wrote:
Eric, I think memphis no more already? or got buy up by another company?
Back to top Go down
wleongkw
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Y? As a beginner have you thought of fitted 1club that is truly yours. I also break from golf awhile and rejoin the game. Now learning under a pro. He recommend everyone built is different. It is best fitted to a club that fit you best than you buy off the shelf. I think that show
D improve your game a lot in long run. Now I using cobra also thinking to change soon.
Back to top Go down
LeftRightUpDown
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 10:42 pm

think most important factor to consider is how serious u think u are going to be in future about the game and how strong you are. very serious + strong, get steel shafts now, graphite is just going to kill your improvement because the club is going to be so slight u aren't going to be able to feel it.

if not so serious + not so strong then get graphite Smile my $0.02
Back to top Go down
a569805
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:06 pm

golfnut1980 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Wanted to ask for advice on how should a beginner golfer decide whether to start with steel or graphite iron set? The thing is, if my swing isn't consistent yet, how would I know what set would suit me...

Graphite regular flex for beginners. In my opinion, easier to hit, more forgiving, better distance and more importantly less prone to injuries. I tried steel shaft 2 years after starting golf but it was only less than 6 months before i switched back to graphite regular. Steel is definitely alot more consistent in terms of accuracy, but I also lose distance and I suffered more injuries with steel. So the benefit of steel over graphite does not seem to compensate for its shortfall.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Actually nowadays, graphite can be made as stiff as steel and steel can be made as soft as graphite. So it's just which one you are more comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:17 pm

a569805 wrote:
golfnut1980 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Wanted to ask for advice on how should a beginner golfer decide whether to start with steel or graphite iron set? The thing is, if my swing isn't consistent yet, how would I know what set would suit me...

Graphite regular flex for beginners. In my opinion, easier to hit, more forgiving, better distance and more importantly less prone to injuries. I tried steel shaft 2 years after starting golf but it was only less than 6 months before i switched back to graphite regular. Steel is definitely alot more consistent in terms of accuracy, but I also lose distance and I suffered more injuries with steel. So the benefit of steel over graphite does not seem to compensate for its shortfall.

Have you heard of steelfiber.... they are the solution. Go contact bigfish.
Back to top Go down
a569805
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks Khorkar. Is it just me but psychologically I seem to sometimes feel the clubs are better with stock shaft rather than after market. I tried bigfish 4 series shaft before and graman. Must say I think the Graman was pretty good for my 3 wood, though the former was not a good fit for my cobra driver.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 12:20 am

for me, when i start playing golf, any shaft will do since i dont know which one is right for me. then i start practising and get better, only then i get the feel which shaft is right for me.
Back to top Go down
nirvani
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Steel seems harder on the hands... especially when you hit the ground Sad
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 5:14 pm

nirvani wrote:
Steel seems harder on the hands... especially when you hit the ground Sad
Steel made it more consistent when taking divot, but of cos the chances of doving it also higher. But the distance control wise is much more consistent.
Back to top Go down
splaash2
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Used to think graphite only but made the switch to steel after getting swing analysis done and have not looked back since. Slight loss in distance but what the heck if the ball's flying straight! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steel vs Graphite Shaft   Steel vs Graphite Shaft - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steel vs Graphite Shaft
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2