Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question on In-car Entertainment

Go down 
+16
Eltonjuan
daveaha
siaw8
shotah
eiji
Swerve
mUAr_cHEe
S70B
TheFocalPoint
JL_chong
Technospaz
mojojojo
jaketang
sunny
Ken_
Khorkar
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Question on In-car Entertainment Empty
PostSubject: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 12:10 pm

Hello Golfers...

I know there is a lot of golfers here that are also car enthusiast especially in In-car-entertainment...aka ICE. I am kinda a dummy in ICE, hope you dont mind me asking your advice on budgeting. Am thinking of putting the following:
- HU with LCD screen (for reverse camera) (1 din type if possible) (can play DVD, MP3, DVDR/RW, AVI, DIVX)
- 9in LCD on the center row
- Reverse Camera
- 2 pairs of 6x9 speakers
- Cables/wiring

Question:
- How much should I at least budget for without breaking my piggy bank?
- Not looking for elaborate surround system but sound quality should just sufficient for the 3 row to hear without blowing ear drum in front, hence, does the above setup need an amp?
- Is the above setup look reasonable, did I over cooked it?

Thanks for your inputs...

Last edited by Khorkar on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ken_
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ken_

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 1:51 pm

Hahaha! When I saw your thread title, I thought you were going to write about SKIN ICE.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 3:40 pm

See... that how i attract attention from people to reply....... after they read... they will say what the fish!!!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:25 pm

Folks,

I have not much experience in ICE stuff. Hence, need advice from all the forum car experts. I receive a rough quote for a car entertainment setup my mpv costing 1.1K, wondering if it is worth price

- Taiwan brand 2-din touch screen DVD player (can play virtually all new types of files)
- Rear Camera
- LCD on headset 6in
- Another LCD on center - 7in

Note: No Amps, use existing speakers.

Can someone kind enough to tell me if it is worth price. Need it for my kids...

Last edited by Khorkar on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:28 pm

1.1k not enough to buy a good tweeter...lol
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:29 pm

Damn.... that much huh. I am getting poorer by the minute... sigh.. Need one when we travel few hrs up north. No ICE, kids will drive me nuts before i drive them to the destination...
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:47 pm

bro swerve might be able to help.... i think he got side line with his own workshop.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:48 pm

there are of cos cheap options...but if you wanna ask ice experts, your option is not an option
Back to top Go down
mojojojo
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
mojojojo

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 12:19 am

bro JL Chong, need yr advice here....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 10:28 am

From what I've been told, bro Swerve can make your car as fast as an airplane but I don't know if he can turn your dashboard into a cockpit.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 am

ha ha ha.... mine is MPV, its a safe car. dun need to be fast

Paging JL Chong, Swerve... Need yr expertise...
Back to top Go down
JL_chong
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
JL_chong

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Hello Golfers...

I know there is a lot of golfers here that are also car enthusiast especially in In-car-entertainment...aka ICE. I am kinda a dummy in ICE, hope you dont mind me asking your advice on budgeting. Am thinking of putting the following:
- HU with LCD screen (for reverse camera) (1 din type if possible) (can play DVD, MP3, DVDR/RW, AVI, DIVX)
- 9in LCD on the center row
- Reverse Camera
- 2 pairs of 6x9 speakers
- Cables/wiring

Question:
- How much should I at least budget for without breaking my piggy bank?
- Not looking for elaborate surround system but sound quality should just sufficient for the 3 row to hear without blowing ear drum in front, hence, does the above setup need an amp?
- Is the above setup look reasonable, did I over cooked it?

Thanks for your inputs...
Hi bro Khorkar,

ICE is something that can be as cheap as a mere $100+ to as much as $20k, 30k, 50k etc... Hence setting yourself a budget is important so that you won't over spend and also to get the best out of your budget.

Base on your initial quote of $1.1k by the installer, it seems very basic. Without amp for a MPV is definitely not the way to go... My recommendation are as follows:

- 1 x 4-channel amp for your front and rear speakers <I recommend FOCAL Amp> http://www.focal-fr.com/
- 2 x pair of component speakers <I recommed FOCAL Speakers>
- HU can go with Alpine http://www.alpine-asia.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=23&Itemid=578
- 9" LCD can just go with any China/Taiwan brand
- Reverse camera <any brand with night capability will do>
- Cables and wiring will be included during installation.

From my experience, a decent sounding and good workmanship for the above mentioned will easily cost you about $3k+. If u noticed what I've recommended you consist of branded stuff and china stuffs... That's simply because a good set of speakers such as FOCAL and a good HU such as Alpine will follow you very far... even when u change your car, they can still be transfered. FOCAL are famous for their excellent speakers whether its in Home or car audio. As for HU, nothing beats the sound quality of Alpine. Hence its important that you should invest on the right items and be more relax for the rest.

You can always call me up at 97410261 or even audit my setup so that I can give you more info. From auditing, you can also have a rough guide of how "good" a car audio system can be, so that u can manage your expectation for the amount of money u spend. I'm also using FOCAL setup n Alpine HU.

Lastly my car was done up at Audioedge. Excellent workmanship, excellent product, excellent aftersales, and best of all very reasonable pricing (not tat kind chop carrot head type). Both bro Mojojojo & bro eiji ICE were done at Audioedge too. Their new address is 170, Yio Chu Kang rd (near serangoon garden)

afro
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 11:29 pm

my suggestion is probably to pick other's ppl castaway when they upgrade....
Back to top Go down
JL_chong
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
JL_chong

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 11:37 pm

sunny wrote:
There's good and bad for this option

- first u will have to pay for an installer for installation of the old stuff such as pulling of cables, fuse, wires etc
- Live with no technical support and warranty, not so advisable for newbie in ICE...
- If u r a newbie, do u know wat u buy is worth it? Especially if its 2nd hand stuff... hence no peace of mind...

If one is experience in ICE and have a regular ICE installer, 2nd hand shopping is worth considering. If not it will become a "Buy and Throw away" experience in the end... Just my 2cent worth. Smile

afro
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Thumbz up for Focal!

My setup :

Kenwood DVD 7039 HU
Focal K2P (Front)
Focal 165A (Rear)
Rockford Prime 300-4 4 Channel
Rockford Prime 500-1 Monoblock
Rockford R1 Sub.

Customised display by ST Mobile Audio @ Balestier.

This December i'll be going active! Pioneer P90 already in the storeroom.. Smile
Back to top Go down
JL_chong
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
JL_chong

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 12:03 am

TheFocalPoint wrote:
Thumbz up for Focal!

My setup :

Kenwood DVD 7039 HU
Focal K2P (Front)
Focal 165A (Rear)
Rockford R1 Sub.

This December i'll be going active! Pioneer P90 already in the storeroom.. Smile
Thumbs up to your setup. Very Happy

afro
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 7:01 am

JL_chong wrote:
sunny wrote:
There's good and bad for this option

- first u will have to pay for an installer for installation of the old stuff such as pulling of cables, fuse, wires etc
- Live with no technical support and warranty, not so advisable for newbie in ICE...
- If u r a newbie, do u know wat u buy is worth it? Especially if its 2nd hand stuff... hence no peace of mind...

If one is experience in ICE and have a regular ICE installer, 2nd hand shopping is worth considering. If not it will become a "Buy and Throw away" experience in the end... Just my 2cent worth. Smile

afro

yep. That is why never buy from most ppl as tgeir set up is already like crap. Go and join some car clubs and get to know those ice players. Pick their 'new' second hand when they upgrade. Normally gd price and you still get lots of support from the workshop
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 7:16 am

I'm so glad Shotah and me are back into golf now. Much cheaper....
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 7:31 am

Technospaz wrote:
From what I've been told, bro Swerve can make your car as fast as an airplane

Step 1. Take out the brakes. They only slow you down.
Back to top Go down
Swerve
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 9:43 am

Bro my only advice when it comes to ICE is this - plan ahead.

Join one of the many ICE forums and go down to their meetups. There are plenty of different setups there that you can take a sound check from before you commit.

You can also take feedback from them about the various audio shops that they have been to and compare cost/quality.

If you want a cheap setup? Then buying from the audio shops itself is expensive and not the way to go.

Go down to Sim Lim Square/Tower with someone who knows about audio. You can EASILY pick up the same setup that was offered to you at the shop plus an amp and a sub as well.

For a budget set of component speakers - you cannot go wrong with CDT. Its an American brand that, for teh price, punches FAR above its weight.

Then simply go to an audio shop and have them install it for you and pay them for the wiring. Again bring a audio savvy friend with you so the guy does not try and rip you off by adding stuff in that you do not need (i.e. crazy expensive cables that your setup just does not need or is able to utilise fully).

Also I absolutely hate the cheapo taiwan/china head units. They offer crappy sound, have limited upgradability and just generally suck. The sound produced from the exact same setup, with just the head unit changed (i.e. Branded vs Taiwan/China), can be vastly different.

If you want me to recommend you an audio shop to do your installation - then just shoot me a PM.

Lastly if you need me to go down with you to Sim Lim, I could potentially make it this weekend. Just buzz me 9827 3621.

Merv

p.s...Now if you do want to make your ride go faster...then you have come to the right place Wink Link to my workshop (shameless plug Very Happy) www.fujimotorsports.com.sg
Back to top Go down
mojojojo
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
mojojojo

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 9:44 am

TheFocalPoint wrote:
Thumbz up for Focal!

My setup :

Kenwood DVD 7039 HU
Focal K2P (Front)
Focal 165A (Rear)
Rockford R1 Sub.

Is that why yr nick is "TheFocalPoint" becos u r using Focal Spker? Thumps up to Focal. I am using Focal oso....
Back to top Go down
mojojojo
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
mojojojo

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 9:48 am

S70B wrote:

You are right. It is cheaper to play golf. I shd realise it earlier but damage done. Mad
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 10:39 am

mojojojo wrote:
S70B wrote:

You are right. It is cheaper to play golf. I shd realise it earlier but damage done. Mad

Its ok mojojojo. Playing and modding cars is like a 'do it once in your life' kind of thing. Question on In-car Entertainment Icon_lol

I might be mistaken or forgotten wrongly but I believe Bro Shotah has actually won or done quite well in an IASCA comp before I think he realises that it is also a thing of the past to try and constantly keep up w the big boys.

I have also foolishly dabbled in having a full Pioneer and DLS setup at one of those controversial 'cut-throat' shops and although it runs into 5 figures, it is nowhere near where the other serious playing customers of his in terms of all the wizardry and money involved.

An ICE setup will also rob you of precious space for the golf bag so think twice before going all the way.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 10:50 am

My small car can't even put a bag as amp makes it shallow and woofers rob precious space. And mine isn't even anywhere near my previous car
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 11:18 am

Sunny,

can la, but must remove the spare tyre.. then put everything 'underground' in the boot.. The golf bags can go 'aboveground'... Smile

My small Honda Fit can put 4 golf bags, 4 sunday bags, water cooler box and sit 4 people, even with my ICE setup.. a bit squeezy behind though.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question on In-car Entertainment   Question on In-car Entertainment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question on In-car Entertainment
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next