Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format

Go down 
+15
watermyforrest
and68low
Duval_S
CoastGuy
poresia
zhenxua
golof
tronos
slinger
kinkipet
wilkang
asahi
eden
golf_snowman
mloy
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format Empty
PostSubject: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:06 am

I understand how the normal stableford format works but do not understand the system of the above format. Would appreciate if someone could explain it. Thank you.

Last edited by mloy on Mon May 24, 2010 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:09 am

mloy

i dnt even understand the normal stableford format..haha...can explain to me how this format works ?...haha
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:12 am

golf_snowman wrote:
mloy

i dnt even understand the normal stableford format..haha...can explain to me how this format works ?...haha

Normal stableford format is easy. More straight forward. Will explain it to you on Thursday on the way to Ria.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:21 am

basically declared handicaps are not used.

single peoria uses 6 random holes (not announced) to calculate the handicap for the day.
double peoria uses 12 random holes (not announced) to calculate the handicap for the day.

then its just using the calculated handicap to calculate the stableford points.

little bit of luck involved.
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:32 am

eden wrote:
basically declared handicaps are not used.

single peoria uses 6 random holes (not announced) to calculate the handicap for the day.
double peoria uses 12 random holes (not announced) to calculate the handicap for the day.

then its just using the calculated handicap to calculate the stableford points.

little bit of luck involved.

I agree that luck is invloved but if only 6 holes are used to calculate the stableford points, wouldn't that be like so little points to earn. Eagle = 4 pts, birdie = 3 pts, par = 2 pts and bogey = 1 pt. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:39 am

no....6 holes for single peoria is used to calculate your handicap.
after that use that handicap to calculate your stableford points for all 18 holes.

double is 12 holes to calculate handicap for the day.

example of single:

random 6 holes score = 30 strokes
18 holes = 30 x 3 = 90 strokes
course par = 72
then using 90 strokes and some formula..your handicap could be (90-72) less than 18 for the day.

then use that handicap to calculate stableford points lor...1 over = 1 point, par = 2 points, 1 under = 3 points etc
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:46 am

Yup. Lady luck has to favour you in such format for you to trumiph.
You can bust big time on 2-3 holes and if these holes are used to calculate yr handicap for the day, you gain by having a higher handicap e.g 24
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:50 am

Modified
Double Peoria System
(commonly used in Singapore)

It is usual for a modified DP system to be used
in
Singapore. This is where a cap of 24 for men and 36 for women is
applied to
the day’s handicap. The score is then computed ala Stableford fashion
using
this calculated handicap (not 80% of the calculated handicap).

Example of Modified Double
Peoria
calculation

On the 6 secret holes, Player A uses 34 strokes.
34 x 3 =
102 minus par 72 = 30. Player A’s handicap for the day is 24. This is
then
used to compute his stableford points for each of the holes played.
Back to top Go down
kinkipet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:05 pm

I was in a competition last week and the scoring system is "modified peoria / stableford format"...it's kind of "cheem", anyway there were 6 blind holes. And as eden pointed out...luck plays a impt role in this scoring system.
Both winner and 1st runner up returned with 91 gross while those played 79 and 73 just gotta watch e prize presentation w agony...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:39 pm

kinkipet wrote:
I was in a competition last week and the scoring system is "modified peoria / stableford format"...it's kind of "cheem", anyway there were 6 blind holes. And as eden pointed out...luck plays a impt role in this scoring system.
Both winner and 1st runner up returned with 91 gross while those played 79 and 73 just gotta watch e prize presentation w agony...

u played 73 or 79?????
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:50 pm

kinkipet wrote:

not if the person who got 91 gross actually average 100+....then he play better than his real handicap and deserve to win.......this system better (or worst) for those mid/high handicap that always either birdie/par or double bogey/bust a hole. Those consistent players dont get much advantage.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:55 pm

i think its good when handicaps are not really known/ official also.
especially when you have guys declaring hdcp 20s but shoots in the 80s.
Back to top Go down
kinkipet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 5:10 pm

haha..i wished i played 73 or 79..e 73 declared 18 hcp..i dun understand y there is such disgraceful ppl on earth..e 79 was a 9 hcp.
Me..a 17.7 hcp barely made it 91.and 1st runner up hehe..champ also 91, hcp 18..we r all honest golfers Wink
Back to top Go down
golof
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:04 pm

Basically, the preoria system is used in competitions to discourage false declaration of handicaps. The same goes for System 36. Both systems are used in general competitions to determine the players' handicap for the day of competition alone. After determining the players' handicap for that particular day of play, this handicap will then be used to determine the players' score for that particular play.

Therefore, Preoria or System 36 are tools to determine handicaps of competitors.

And Stableford Points or Strokeplay are scoring formats, with the former calculated in points (the more points the better) and the latter in the number of strokes scored (the fewer the better)....

cheers
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:33 pm

eden wrote:
i think its good when handicaps are not really known/ official also.
especially when you have guys declaring hdcp 20s but shoots in the 80s.

no wonder i have been buying coconuts for blee2007 and mizzy ...
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:44 pm

yes, there r golfers who declared hc 24 and played low 80s reguarly.

i was told about it in recent NSRCC SAF cup. HC 15 golfers played 70s+.

i am always proud of my handicap n will submit my scorecards as it is.

System 36 will be fairer bcos it used all 18 holes.
Back to top Go down
CoastGuy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoastGuy

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 6:38 pm

I TOTALLY agree with you Beer
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 6:55 pm

Quote :
poresia wrote:

the chap with HC15 dare to go up to collect award meh? Take his photo and he will be straight entry to the Buaya Hall of FAME. Think he can only play once in the tourney
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 7:14 pm

I just cut and paste form somewhere.....

The Peoria System is a sort of 1-day handicapping system for tournaments in which most of the golfers do not have real handicap indexes (company outings, for example).

Groups tee off and complete their rounds, playing stroke play and scoring in the normal fashion with one exception: double par is the maximum (i.e., 8 is the maximum score on a par-4). Following completion of play, the six Peoria holes are announced.

Each player totals his six secret holes. That total is multiplied by 3; par is subtracted from that total; then the resulting number is multiplied by 80 percent. This is the player's allowance. The allowance is subtracted from the player's gross score and the result is the net Peoria System score.

Example: On the six holes, Player A uses 30 strokes. 30x3=90. 90 minus par-72 is 18. Eighty percent of 18 is 14 (round off). Fourteen is the allowance. Player A's gross score is 90; 90 minus 14 results in a Peoria System net score of 76
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 8:53 pm

Excellent explanation, Andrew.... Oh I saw on ST that Basil performance was the best among our bowling team... You must be really proud!
cheers
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Excellent explanation, Andrew.... Oh I saw on ST that Basil performance was the best among our bowling team... You must be really proud!
cheers

WMF bro, Yes I am very proud of him! Basil is in helsinki now competing in the World Youth. He just miss out on a medal chance 2 days ago due to an error on the last game on the ninth frame that cost Singapore a medal, felt the pain for him, Well he said to me, (quote)"in spectacular fashion, I screw up !"

He will be going to Germany right after to compete in the World Man Championship, lets hope he will not have any more of his spectacular ........, I .... ..! Well he will be probably the youngest to compete in that event!

Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 11:47 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
cheers

I read that too Andrew. Be Proud !!!!

titu
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 12:40 am

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
poresia wrote:

the chap with HC15 dare to go up to collect award meh? Take his photo and he will be straight entry to the Buaya Hall of FAME. Think he can only play once in the tourney
I heard that hcp 15 is from GR. Anybody know who he is?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 12:54 am

That is the reason why golf tournaments in general no longer give away big prizes to the winners, saving it instead for the lucky draws. Winners either get trophy and a small prize or just the trophy.

Organisers have finally wised up. It's taken many years, but better late then never.

On the matter of embarrassment, the winners never are. I've seen with my own eyes someone winning by playing 15 under his declared handicap. Lightning must have struck for him to go from a 24 to a 9 handicap in one tourney!

With the whole ballroom booing him and calling him buaya, this guy proudly smilled all the way up the stage, accepted his trophy, then had the gall to raise it high over his head to the audience. Some more, this was during an annual tourney organised by a prestigious car brand that positions itself as a product for sophisticated executives who have arrived.

What an embarrassment for the organisers and to the game of golf.

Last edited by Birdman on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 8:27 am

I think hor.....all of us can do our part. After every game, go SGA website and check if scorecard submitted...and blow whistle....if need to.....

But then, sure kena left right centre..............................rite?

View?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format   Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need explanation on Double Peoria/Stableford Format
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next