Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Questions on Stableford

Go down 
+14
hkhamateur
simoner
pocketace
jaketang
Heiwa
blee67
pushslice
poresia
skybobo
renode
jurongtiger
mowen
Rafj
golftortoise
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
golftortoise
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Questions on Stableford Empty
PostSubject: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 7:43 pm

[size=12]Hi!

I am going for my first tournament tomorrow, and am seriously feeling the nerves.

The rules says "This is a Stableford competition & participants shall play off 80% of their declared Handicap Index. However, you’re to declare 100% of your lowest Handicap Index."

I am a bit confused. I did some search and 2 different results came out. I have seen a website which says a par will result in zero points, and another says par will be 2 points?

Also what does 80% of their declared index mean?

Many thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 8:05 pm

If you have a handicap of 24, 80% means 80% x 24 = 19.2 but that's before the organisers take into account the course and slope rating. Take a look at your scorecard for your course handicap.

Here's information about the Stablefored scoring:

The fixed score would be adjusted as per the stroke indexes (SI) of the holes, starting at the lowest stroke index 1 hole, through to the highest, stroke index 18. For example, a 12 handicap golfer would increase the fixed score on holes indexed 1 through 12, a 24 handicap player would increase the score by 2 on holes indexed 1 through 6 and by one for the rest, and a plus handicap player would reduce the fixed scores starting at the stroke index 18 hole.
The number of points awarded per hole are as follows:

[th]Points[/th][th]Strokes taken in relation to adjusted fixed score[/th]
[th][/th][th][/th]

2 strokes or more over, or no score recorded

1 stroke over

Same number of strokes

1 stroke under

2 strokes under

3 strokes under

4 strokes under

Hope this helps.

:-)
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Rafj wrote:
If you have a handicap of 24, 80% means 80% x 24 = 19.2 but that's before the organisers take into account the course and slope rating. Take a look at your scorecard for your course handicap.

The fixed score would be adjusted as per the stroke indexes (SI) of the holes, starting at the lowest stroke index 1 hole, through to the highest, stroke index 18. For example, a 12 handicap golfer would increase the fixed score on holes indexed 1 through 12, a 24 handicap player would increase the score by 2 on holes indexed 1 through 6 and by one for the rest, and a plus handicap player would reduce the fixed scores starting at the stroke index 18 hole.

[th][/th][th][/th]

1 stroke over

Same number of strokes

1 stroke under

2 strokes under

3 strokes under

4 strokes under

Hope this helps.

Chim.. so we take strokes from director slinger??
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 8:29 pm

mowen wrote:
Rafj wrote:

[th][/th][th][/th]

1 stroke over

Same number of strokes

1 stroke under

2 strokes under

3 strokes under

4 strokes under

Hope this helps.

Chim.. so we take strokes from director slinger??
That is definite. It's just a matter of how many he is willing to give......;-)
Back to top Go down
golftortoise
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 7:57 am

Thanks guys!! Wish me luck!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 11:45 am

Good Luck! :-)
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 5:08 am

Just declare your HCP and play your normal game. Mark the gross score down and if doubtful, let the organizer evaluate your nett score for you.
Back to top Go down
golftortoise
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks guys! Lots of nerves. Played poorly. Returned a gross of 112 though I had 1 par on the front and back 9 each.

Had fun though! Totally different from playing leisure game. Smile
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 2:13 pm

Just played at SAF Day golf at NSRCC. My buggy mate scored 87 and he holds a handicap of 17. Wow, looks like no chance liao.. 

Anyway how's the points scoring like for stableford? Bogeys got points?
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 pm

renode wrote:
Just played at SAF Day golf at NSRCC. My buggy mate scored 87 and he holds a handicap of 17. Wow, looks like no chance liao.. 

Anyway how's the points scoring like for stableford? Bogeys got points?

Chris, a handicap of 17 means he is entiteld to 1 stroke each for index 1 to 17 hole.  So if he score bogey for those holes, he will have a net par which will give him 2 points.  If he par one of those holes, he will have a net birdie and that will give him 3 points.  If he double, he will score a net bogey which = 1 point.  Add up the point of all 18 holes and that is your stableford points.  36 is par.  Anything above means you play under par and vice versa.

In stableford, score is not important.  Its the points.  Suppose you fren score 87 right, let's say he has 3 birdies, 3 doubles, 4 pars and 7 bogey and 1 double par (par 5).  This will give him a gross score of 15 over which = 87.  Assuming the 3 birdies are all on the index holes, he will have a stableford point of 41....and that is a veery good good score, may possible be a champion.

U see my point?
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Yup, thanks mark, now I know. 

He only has 2 double, rest pars n bogeys, so really have high chance already.. Hope u played well n enjoyed yourself?
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 5:39 pm

Chris, no chance man. Too many ABC. Do u know the overall winner is a 22 hcp with stableford points 49. That means he play 13 under par. This is impossible
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Bro, the tournament u played is it Nsrcc SAF day tournament at Nsrcc Changi?
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 6:55 pm

U asking me???? I play with u same flight u still ask me
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Opps. Didnt realized its u. Haha. I still find the hcp of top placed golfers interesting.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 8:05 pm

skybobo wrote:
Chris, no chance man. Too many ABC. Do u know the overall winner is a 22 hcp with stableford points 49. That means he play 13 under par. This is impossible

Doesn't nsrcc review exceptional t scores? 13 under is very crude. The odds of 13 under for a 22 handicap is beyond published usga stats. That's 1 in dunno how many thousands rounds. It would've been dq in usga amateur tournament.
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Pwah, handicap 22 with 49 stableford points... I play from red tee also dunno can reach 40 points anot... Nsrcc got a lot of crouching tigers and hidden dragons
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 8:39 pm

pushslice wrote:
skybobo wrote:

Doesn't nsrcc review exceptional t scores? 13 under is very crude. The odds of 13 under for a 22 handicap is beyond published usga stats. That's 1 in dunno how many thousands rounds. It would've been dq in usga amateur tournament.

It happens! I lost count on the number of tournaments that the winners comes in at 12 below their hcps...Suspect
Back to top Go down
Heiwa
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 9:05 pm

blee wrote:
pushslice wrote:
skybobo wrote:

It happens! I lost count on the number of tournaments that the winners comes in at 12 below their hcps...Suspect

Interesting post. What is the acceptable score for organisers to use?
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Sad to say, not much. Organizers sometimes used the modified stableford points system with blind holes but even that you can totally eliminate the abc from taking advantages....
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 9:24 pm

System 36 will able to enable most golfers to have a fair platform to compete. 

Such systems will never have winners with stableford points more than 40.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 10:42 pm

Heiwa wrote:
blee wrote:
pushslice wrote:
skybobo wrote:

Interesting post. What is the acceptable score for organisers to use?

http://www.popeofslope.com/sandbagging/odds.html
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 pm

poresia wrote:
System 36 will able to enable most golfers to have a fair platform to compete. 

Such systems will never have winners with stableford points more than 40.
This scenario is too common in Singapore, not only in NSRCC. It usually happens when the prizes are attractive enough.

Here's an old article for your reading pleasure. : 

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Sports/Story/A1Story20121101-380821.html

IMHO, System 36 is not really 'fair' either. It usually favours the stronger players who can score more birdies or eagles / eagle...

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 9:20 am

Sys 36 is not the fool proof way. But it's the best we have. At least the handicap is computed based on the day's score. And if u have birdies and eagles, u deserve to win.

This is much much better than someone who declare handicap 22 and come back 13 under.

Just my thoughts
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 11:49 am

lidat very scary meh?

i have heard from kakis on some msia company's invitational tournament over 2 days.. oso stableford.
winner is a hcp 24..
best part is he score 81 & 83 over the 2 days on BLUE TEE!!!!affraid affraid affraid 

SG golfers still "lose" la... ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Stableford   Questions on Stableford I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions on Stableford
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next