Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament

Go down 
+4
Artloh
TDO
eiji
mengteck71
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi Champions, need some advice on the rules for situation below

During Club's Monthly Medal, rules states Stableford Points but putt-out is required.  Hence, if a player is within 1 putter length and picks up the ball instead of putting out, what would be the penalty for (assuming there are individual bets amongst the players):

1. Match Play - lost of hole??

2. Stroke Play - penalty 1 or 2 strokes??
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Stroke play is DQ if he submitted score card. Else it's 2 stroke plus must still put out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Huh! Match play must putt out? Played for almost 18 years and I still don't know this ruling. I thought putt out only applies to Stroke Play.Shocked 
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 2:07 pm

the tournament rules states putt-outs are required although scoring is based on stableford.. hence the individual betting is also based on this rule..
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 2:20 pm

Firstly, if its a clubs monthly medal, it should not be match play. Rules3-2 states that if a player fails to hole out and tees off at the next hole, it's a DQ. If all 4 players have agreed to give each other if the putt is within 1 putter length, Rules 1-3 applies & all are DQ.

If its a single match play, by picking up yr ball, you have 'lost' the hole. However if its a four ball match, only you are out. Your partner is still in contention.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 2:24 pm

as I mention.. the stroke and match play are individual bettings within the flight.. the club competition are purely putt-out but stableford scoring.. hope i clarifies..
Back to top Go down
ken23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 pm

In my opinion, normally for stableford scoring format it is not necessary to putt out. If the player played a huge score on a hole and he knows that his handicap stroke (if he is entitled to depending on his course handicap) is used up then there is no point holing out as he will not have any points on that particular hole. But if the rules states that all players have to hole out then you will have to follow accordingly and that will probably slow up play.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 2:43 pm

we are also wondering why the club impose this rule.. nontheless.. what will be the penalty?
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 2:53 pm

I believe the medal is a stroke play base on stableford points. So stroke play rules apply. Bro, you have got yrself a catch 22 situation. For yr medal the ROG and COC requires you to putt out. There's no two ways around this I'm afraid. However you still have yr individual betting within the flight which is stroke and match. So whether yr yr flt mates 'gave' you the putt, in the monthly medal, by removing yr ball, you have incurred a penalty under 18-2. By not replacing and putting out before tee off the next hole, rule 3-2 applies. 

I know that the rules of golf is very confusing. And even we, rules officials make wrong rulings at times. If you need more clarification, feel free to call me at 92728955. I'll try my best to explain over the ph.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks Artloh.. your have it spot on.. 

So i guess I am right that for individual betting, the person lost the hole in match play.. and incur 2 penalty strokes in stroke play
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 3:24 pm

MT, there are 2 situations

1) individual bet: if the putt is given by your opponents, matchplay n strokeplay wise, he adds a stroke n choose not to putt out

2) tournament: if u din hole out, u just DQ yourself lor.... mayb the bets are bigger than the medal prize
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 6:04 pm

it did not happen to me.. but my friends did it.. lol
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 6:10 pm

slinger wrote:
MT, there are 2 situations

1) individual bet: if the putt is given by your opponents, matchplay n strokeplay wise, he adds a stroke n choose not to putt out

2) tournament: if u din hole out, u just DQ yourself lor.... mayb the bets are bigger than the medal prize

I wonder how many will do the honourable thing by DQ themselves. Some will probably continue playing (since he already paid for it) and not submit the scorecard.Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 8:36 pm

This is one of the most overlooked and ignored rule of golf.... The 1ft gimmie.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 10:00 pm

TDO wrote:
Huh! Match play must putt out? Played for almost 18 years and I still don't know this ruling. I thought putt out only applies to Stroke Play.Shocked 

in matchplay, you must putt unless your opponent concedes the putt
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 7:40 am

Need to read the conditions of competition specific to tournament. Stableford is a format in itself. It is not stroke play. Scoring 15 strokes or 25 strokes on a hole has no difference to final score in stable ford. U just get 0 points for that hole. 

In fact, the reason why many social tournaments are played using stableford is to speed up play. I.e, if you are out of contention for points on that hole, just pick up the ball and move to the next hole. For score on that hole, either mark an X or (Par x 2) +1, to ensure u get no points for that hole even if you are a 36 hcap. 

Hence, depending on the CoC, you will get 0 points for that hole as it is considered you did not finish that hole. Highly unlikely to be disqualified.
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 7:55 am

Hi Derek. Just like to clarify.

1. Stableford is a form of stroke play. You can refer to rule 32-1 which explains.

2. Holes where you do not get points do count OCB. That's another reason why we have to
Putt out. 

Rules 2-1 &3-1 wil summarise the difference between match & stroke play.
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 7:57 am

Rule 32 - Bogey, Par and Stableford Competitions
32-1 Conditions
Bogey, par and Stableford competitions are forms of stroke play in which play is against a fixed score at each hole. The Rules for stroke play, so far as they are not at variance with the following specific Rules, apply.
In handicap bogey, par and Stableford competitions, the competitor with the lowest net score at a hole takes the honour at the next[url=file:///var//mobile//Applications//E69F7656-164A-483B-BB3E-03FDCA2C7EFC//The_Rules_Of_Golf.app//definition?name=teeing ground]teeing ground[/url].
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament   Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Penalty for NOT Putting Out in Stableford Tournament
Page 1 of 1