Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why not take lessons?

Go down 
+16
mervyntan
S70B
tronos
Right_sided_coach
Duval_S
shorthitter
Roystonnn
benhogan
weesern
G_Man
watermyforrest
Technospaz
jurongtiger
daveaha
Khorkar
The Golfing Machine
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Why not take lessons? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:26 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Interesting how nobody ever wants a putting or chipping lesson. Thats what amazes me!!

Given the quality of my short game of late, I'd kill for a putting and chipping lesson Sad
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Right_sided_coach wrote:
Interesting how nobody ever wants a putting or chipping lesson. Thats what amazes me!!

Given the quality of my short game of late, I'd kill for a putting and chipping lesson Sad

Maybe I should change my FREE SWING ANALYSIS to FREE SHORT GAME ANALYSIS. Yes it is official I will start a new thread offering to all members a Free Short Game Analysis. See if the response is as big as it was with SWING Analysis.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
Right_sided_coach wrote:

Maybe I should change my FREE SWING ANALYSIS to FREE SHORT GAME ANALYSIS. Yes it is official I will start a new thread offering to all members a Free Short Game Analysis. See if the response is as big as it was with SWING Analysis.

You've got my attention, coach!
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 5:47 pm

The Golfing Machine wrote:
daveaha wrote:
Time constraint...

What if the lesson could be delivered in the privacy of your study room via PC - anytime, would time constraint still be a problem?

That may works, but may not be as effective as the actual real lesson where the coach/pro can direct me and show me on the spot what was my mistake etc. Again, it's my opinion. May differ with other golfer/students.

watermyforrest wrote:
G_Man wrote:
Quick thoughts.
1. Cant find time to take lessons, but has time to play golf?
The time spent on the lesson will/should have benefits for all susequent games. Thus it would be logical that the lesson should outweight the game in terms of importance.
If no time for game or for lessons, then good. No need for golf at all...

No offense bro, but nothing beats playing in the green... you can have a perfect swing on the matt but once it is in the rough, sand and slopes it might not work... not to mention short game... and most people would rather squeeze time to "play" golf rather tahn "practice" golf... again no hard feeling, this is just IMHO

G man has a valid point, but like watermyforrest has said, but to some people, free time is just a privillege. Let's say you only have 4-5 hours to do anything with golf every week. Will you spend those precious hours to really play on the course or practice on the range ? I'd rather go to the real 18 holes... (but I used to spent it on the range Very Happy)

Anyway,
personally I've been looking for a coach to improve my overall game, from driving, long and mid iron, short game, putting, consistency, and mental side of the game. Just hasn't got the time yet Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
Right_sided_coach wrote:

If you have FREE DRIVER SWING ANALYSIS, all the guys will be lining up. if you intend to go for holiday, offer a FREE PUTTING ANALYSIS. Razz
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 7:55 pm

I would say go, no RUN for Paul's offer.
The reason is fairly simple - the short game contains the DNA of your full
swing.

The long game magnifies your errors while the short game shows it up.

I have never seen a golfer with good short game impact alignments with
bad full swing fundamentals.

If you have an outside in, flip the dirt impact
with a lob wedge on a 10m chip, then its very likely that your full swing
would contain the very same elements.

Think of the chip shot as the impact zone of your full swing.

If you are pressed for time, hit the short game hard and watch the benefits
overflow to the full swing. Besides improving impact, you will get much needed
practice on feel and generally be in touch with your body.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 8:03 pm

tronos wrote:
Right_sided_coach wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
Right_sided_coach wrote:

If you have FREE DRIVER SWING ANALYSIS, all the guys will be lining up. if you intend to go for holiday, offer a FREE PUTTING ANALYSIS. Razz

Unfortunately this is the mentality of most golfers and why the average score for men worldwide is 94 strokes. Keep practising that driver. Good for the ego, thats about all!! As TGM says, the chip makes up the DNA of your full swing. The impact zone is the same for all shots. Learn the small stuff first, the rest is a piece of cake
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 8:07 pm

Paul,

Won't you agree that one of the ironies of life is that the guys who
practise their drivers incessantly hit it shorter than the guys who don't? Smile
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 11:04 pm

Paul,

Won't you agree that one of the ironies of life is that the guys who
practise their drivers incessantly hit it shorter than the guys who don't? Smile

Majority of the time it is the case. They are also the ones that can not compress an iron shot or hit a pitch or chip. They hit off a tee so often, they develop incorrect impact. Probably not very good putters either as they never practice it. Usually the guy that replaces his shafts or driver every second week and buys all the training aids, to create more distance and hit more fairways. Then says, why scores not improve lah!!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 12:22 am

talking about compressing the ball, I find that when tee off with an iron, I hit better without using a tee, better contact and better distance.
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 7:53 am

the tee kinda sends the message "hit up on me" to most
golfers. When the ball is on the deck, its visually easier
to see that hitting down is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 9:10 am

can use tee... but push it all the way to the ground... it helps to stabilise the ball for clean contact (at least it works for me )
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 9:26 am

watermyforrest wrote:
can use tee... but push it all the way to the ground... it helps to stabilise the ball for clean contact (at least it works for me )

I would use soil for that purpose...

I tried to hit down on the ball when my ball is on a tee and I got the negative spin (top spin)!!
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am

Just out of curiousity, is it because the ball is still above the ground?
I got that high ball as well if the tee is a wee bit protruding, so I usually push it all the way down to the same level as the ground.
But I may be wrong, anyone can explain?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 9:44 am

Teeing up too high with an iron will encourage most to hit up on the ball, not down. If you do hit down with the ball teed too high, you will make contact too high on the clubface and not the sweet spot, not a good feeling. You can not hit down and compress a ball when it is too high in the air. If you are someone that hits their irons better with the ball teed up too high, I can guarantee you are shifting weight the wrong way and scooping or lifting, not compressing.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:02 am

From what u've said, am I right to say that it is better not to tee up when using iron?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 am

weesern wrote:
From what u've said, am I right to say that it is better not to tee up when using iron?

Ok to tee up, just keep it very low, just on top of the grass.
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 9:56 pm

weesern wrote:

Place the ball in a divot.
Once you learn to hit it well from there, you will understand what compression means.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:00 pm

weesern wrote:

Jack Nicklaus would tell you to tee up whenever you have the chance, It is the only time you have a perfect lie at the height of your choice.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:02 pm

shorthitter wrote:
weesern wrote:

Jack Nicklaus would tell you to tee up whenever you have the chance, It is the only time you have a perfect lie at the height of your choice.....

I'm w u on this SH. Beer
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:07 pm

S70B wrote:
shorthitter wrote:
weesern wrote:

I'm w u on this SH. Beer

Makes sense does'nt it, golf is hard enough, have to take every advamtage you can... within the rules of course... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 1:18 am

weesern wrote:

Place the ball in a divot.
Once you learn to hit it well from there, you will understand what compression means.

mind explaining??? me not so clever...
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 4:20 am

shorthitter wrote:
weesern wrote:

now.. all we need is someone to rewrite the rules to allow teeing up on the fairway.. cyclops
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 8:15 am

To get the ball out of a divot, there is only one way to do it.
Hit down on the ball with the club path coming from inside
the target line.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 8:52 am

To get the ball out of a divot, there is only one way to do it.
Hit down on the ball with the club path coming from inside
the target line.

You can also hit it out if you top it right? After reading alot of threads with read colour nicks, It seems that there are two kinds of golf gurus in this forum, one that make you learn things the easy way and the other makes you learn thing the hard way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why not take lessons?   Why not take lessons? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why not take lessons?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next