Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Adjusting lie angle for cast irons

Go down 
+4
weesern
DGman
Birdman
Itsuki
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

Adjusting lie angle for cast irons Empty
PostSubject: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 9:27 pm

hi all

Wonder whether the lie angle for cast iron can be adjusted? if so, by how many degrees?

thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm not sure if all can be adjusted, but some can. I guess it depends on how soft the material used for the casting is. I've heard that some can be adjusted by a degree or two at the most. Funnily enough, I asked this same question recently of the TaylorMade Tour Preferred irons which are cast and was told because of the soft casting, the lie angle can be adjusted anywhere up to 3 or 4 degrees.

Guess the best people to answer your question for sure is a clubfitter or manufacturer, but I hoped I've helped some.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Steel Cast heads are made of different grade of steel according to the price of the product. According to most manufacturers, almost heads can be bent.

While some manufacturers have incorporated relief in the hosel design to help make bending easier, other using harder Stainless Steel such as 17/4 which is like a C grade in the hardness scale, makes it more difficult to bend.

You can use the Rockwell hardness scale if you know what material is your iron material. Those in the A scale are easy to bend, mid B is relatively easy and the C grade takes a bit more effort.

it its bendable, 2 degree +/- should not be a problem.

We have ordered a new club bending machine and this one will be capable of bending not just irons, but Drivers, Fairwoods and Hybrids with fixed hosel.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 10:12 pm

DGman wrote:

While some manufacturers have incorporated relief in the hosel design to help make bending easier

DGman

u mean like ping irons?
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 10:29 pm

DGman: is what Birdman said true, that the TM tour preferred cast irons are made of softer material and hence possible to bend upto 3/4 degs?
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 10:46 pm

DGman, can driver be bent? Am wondering if my driver is too flat, hence creates tendency to fade - you mentioned before that irons that are too flat will naturally encourage fade, which is why all my irons are upright by around 1.5*
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 10:34 am

DGman wrote:
Steel Cast heads are made of different grade of steel according to the price of the product. According to most manufacturers, almost heads can be bent.

While some manufacturers have incorporated relief in the hosel design to help make bending easier, other using harder Stainless Steel such as 17/4 which is like a C grade in the hardness scale, makes it more difficult to bend.

You can use the Rockwell hardness scale if you know what material is your iron material. Those in the A scale are easy to bend, mid B is relatively easy and the C grade takes a bit more effort.

it its bendable, 2 degree +/- should not be a problem.

We have ordered a new club bending machine and this one will be capable of bending not just irons, but Drivers, Fairwoods and Hybrids with fixed hosel.

DGman

may i know how much it normally cost to adjust? is it expensive? thanks.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 10:54 am

Itsuki wrote:
DGman: is what Birdman said true, that the TM tour preferred cast irons are made of softer material and hence possible to bend upto 3/4 degs?

If you'd like to verify Itsuki, give the TaylorMade Concept Shop at Cathay a call and speak to their clubfitter.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Lie adjustment usually isn't expensive, under SGD10 per club, depending on where you go
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 4:47 pm

I know some driver heads can be bent. I got 4 282s over the years and bent 3 of them. 2 of them require some degree of heating to bend the hosel, though.

Most say that TM cast can be bent to 4*. But I think it is a little risky. DGman is right, to be on the safe side, you should bend it 2* at max.

Just my 2cents...
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 6:28 pm

thanks guys for your advice and input. will try the adjustments on my old set (cast) and see how it goes.. ultimately i still trying to save and convince myself to invest in a forged set of irons... cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 6:34 pm

You can get a used set of forged irons for a decent price these days. best is to buy heads only, then get shafts custom fitted along with lie adjustments so that the clubs are built around your physical dimensions. After that, you can be very sure that any wayward shots are all your fault, not your irons Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 9:33 pm

ghoonk wrote:
You can get a used set of forged irons for a decent price these days. best is to buy heads only, then get shafts custom fitted along with lie adjustments so that the clubs are built around your physical dimensions. After that, you can be very sure that any wayward shots are all your fault, not your irons Very Happy

thanks ghoonk.
Any idea where i can find reasonably priced forged iron heads? From what i have searched, most are selling the whole set. Kinda waste coz 99% of the time, the 3 and 4 irons will remain in the storeroom... haa.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 9:54 pm

If you are looking to try and don't want to buy a whole set, you can go to Leisure Sports in basement 1 of Far East Shopping Centre and you can get single 6 irons. Alternatively, check out greenfield golf. I would recommend the Titleist 735 irons.
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 10:02 pm

hi ghoonk, think you misunderstood me.. i might to follow up on your suggestion on to buy used forged heads and custom-fit my shaft and adjust my lie angle.. does the shops at Far East sell used forged heads only?
Sorry dude, im playing like a beginner now.. titleist irons i believe are for the better players...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 2:40 am

Yarra wrote:
Most say that TM cast can be bent to 4*. But I think it is a little risky.

Hi Yarra, not all castings are or 17/4 stainless steel, advancements in the casting process and metallurgy allow for softer metals to be used for casting iron heads making for easier and relatively higher degree of bendability. As an example, Cleveland's CG4 Tour irons are cast of proprietary CMM steel which makes these cast irons softer than forged irons believe it or not.

As for most mentioning that TM cast irons can be bent by 4 degrees, I don't know about that as a blanket statement, I can only verify that the Tour Preferred can be bent up to 4 degrees since it was mentioned in a discussion by a clubfitter who physically works daily with TM clubs.

Hope I've helped to provide some enlightenment.
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 9:16 pm

By adjusting the lie angle, will it change the loft angle?

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 9:24 pm

by bending the irons at 6 o'clock position, only lie is adjusted. if you bend irons are 9 o'clock position only loft is adjusted. if you adjust at 7.30 position, you move both loft and lie.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
silverhex
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 11:35 am

yes you can.. but only about 1 to 2 degrees upright or flat. might have to risk of breaking the club since its a hard material..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting lie angle for cast irons   Adjusting lie angle for cast irons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adjusting lie angle for cast irons
Page 1 of 1