Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective

Go down 
+13
DGman
S70B
bskt
daveaha
hillgreen
sunny
jimmychoo
mUAr_cHEe
ironhead
hoelwill
jaketang
Duval_S
Technospaz
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective Empty
PostSubject: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 9:41 pm

For those who have wondered about the difference between forged irons and cast irons, here's a good read albeit from a Mizuno perspective.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 11:13 pm

Nice read Bro....seems like either you are stalking Mizzy or mizzy is stalking you.

But one question: If forged is just about feel, then typical ave player like me (more like below ave) will not make any diff as it does not help in terms of forgiveness.....make sense?
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 11:43 pm

tht's y i stick to my cast n oversized irons......

i afraid the forged will cry if i use them... **KNN this axxhole can play wan or not.... hit so long liao haven even hit the sweet spot once** from the irons... lolz...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 8:19 am

LOL @ JT. That's a worrying thought.
Back to top Go down
hoelwill
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
hoelwill

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 11:54 am

If you are a results oriented person, cast iron is more proper
<Score = everything>

If you are a process oriented person, forge iron will be more 'enjoyable'
<touch = everything>

If you are in between, then either cast or forged will be fine, depending on your mood that day....
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 4:43 am

Hi, i too like many had wondered abt this question for a long time and finally came out with the following conclusion.

forged vs cast

If you have a cast iron and a forged iron of exactly the same shape and weight distribution design, the same loft, the same center of gravity position in the two heads, and the heads are built with the same shaft, same length, same grip and same swingweight/MOI, hitting the same ball, the shots will fly identical distances and 99-percent of all golfers will never know which was forged and which was cast.

Most of the remaining 1-percent want to believe that the forged iron would be softer in feel because the carbon steel of a typical forging is a softer metal, but scientific research has shown that the hardness difference in a metal alone is not enough to create a difference in impact feel. All of the other factors listed above are the reason for differences in the feel of shots hit with one club vs. another.

don believe me? ask the R&A Equipment testing Director Steve Otto and his testing Robot!

However, just like many things in Golf, it;s what u want to believe counts. Despite scientific studies, many would swear on his mother's grave that he can distinguish forged from cast irons and I'm ok with that too. And who can blame Mizuno for standing firm on their claims afterall, millions spent on marketing and they are famous for one thing and one thing only.... forged irons.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:38 am

Technospaz wrote:
For those who have wondered about the difference between forged irons and cast irons, here's a good read albeit from a Mizuno perspective.

so... buy already ah?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:04 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

so... buy already ah?

Nope. Why you ask? Are you thinking of getting me a nice Christmas gift? Smile
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:07 am

Technospaz wrote:

ha nor. maybe a nice forged mizuno ball marker.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:08 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

ha nor. maybe a nice forged mizuno ball marker.

I'll take it!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:14 am

if i can find it!
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 12:16 pm

ironhead wrote:
but scientific research has shown that the hardness difference in a metal alone is not enough to create a difference in impact feel. All of the other factors listed above are the reason for differences in the feel of shots hit with one club vs. another.
All these reseacher are not golfer. How can you believe them? Very Happy

ironhead wrote:

don believe me? ask the R&A Equipment testing Director Steve Otto and his testing Robot!
Can a Robot feel? Smile
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Researchers said feel is a result of the material and design. If both are the same and one is forged and the other cast, it doesn't show any statistically significant result.

But then some ppl swear by it. Maybe some ppl are born with more feel. Just like music. Some are pitch perfect, most in between and some tone deaf. Just that this feel is not as well researched as music
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 2:59 pm

Mizuno uses science to perfect Forged feel which Feel is actually an ART
ART is priceless and that is why Mizzies are can sell at higher in value ...haha....

Actually, from my feel i really tell the difference in Forged iron though I am a casual golfer. The only gripe is that Forged iron tends to have dings easily .

sunny wrote:
Researchers said feel is a result of the material and design. If both are the same and one is forged and the other cast, it doesn't show any statistically significant result.

But then some ppl swear by it. Maybe some ppl are born with more feel. Just like music. Some are pitch perfect, most in between and some tone deaf. Just that this feel is not as well researched as music
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 3:04 pm

Actually somehow I can feel it too eventhough so many pro here said their indifference with the cast and forget irons. Maybe those who can feel it is overly sensitive Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
bskt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 4:08 pm

in a nutshell, forged irons can be tailored to suit a golfer's swing in terms of the lie and loft angles while cast irons are fixed set which little can be done to tailor the golfer's needs.

However, cast are more forgiving than forge.

hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 4:16 pm

When I tested Dave's 52s at the range, I could definitely tell when I hit a good shot. The feeling is almost unnatural... like it was destined for a great shot. Smooth and easy.

I can also tell when I hit a good shot with cast irons but certainly, it doesn't feel as good as with forged irons.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 4:19 pm

Quote :
Technospaz wrote:
When I tested Dave's 52s at the range, I could definitely tell when I hit a good shot. The feeling is almost unnatural... like it was destined for a great shot. Smooth and easy.

I can also tell when I hit a good shot with cast irons but certainly, it doesn't feel as good as with forged irons.

Bro TS,,,,, based on your comments, you know where this will lead to right?

hint.....Golf house sale...last day
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 4:20 pm

Wanna meet me at GH and help pay? Wink
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 4:21 pm

Pay first....no prob....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 4:26 pm

I tried out the MX-300s at GH in JB recently and they were very nice. Hit at the sweet spot and the feel is shiok. I guess I'm not looking for game improvement but more a different feel for my irons. The change from the X-20s to the MX-300s will not give me a boost in how I play but the feel of a good hit will make me wanna come back for more Wink
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 4:28 pm

Mr Spaz

Are you trying to reason to urself or to the rest of the forum? Razz
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 4:33 pm

Rex,
TS is battling with the devil inside of him. No matter whom he is trying to reason with about this Mizzy stuff... it'll always come back and haunt this forum... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 4:37 pm

Dun think, just do it, Dun like, I'm sure there will be takers.

Dec is coming. Will make a nice X'mas present for urself.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 4:43 pm

S70B wrote:
Mr Spaz

Are you trying to reason to urself or to the rest of the forum? Razz

I'm trying to reason with myself.

I'm an October baby - we are naturally indecisive and quite fickle-minded.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective   Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forged vs. Cast Irons - A Mizuno perspective
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next