Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity

Go down 
+5
mervyntan
jimmychoo
art
Technospaz
jaketang
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity Empty
PostSubject: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi to all experts here!!

not sure if this is the right place to post this. I hope the experts or users here can enlighten me abit, sorry i m a newbie in terms of golf. Appreciate the response...

1) forged Vs cast - Understand tht forged is softer and manufact in a diff way then cast, tht's why they can be bent later and also feel softer.
If we take 2 identical irons (same weight, loft, lie, etc) but 1 forged n the other cast. Using a same swing, which will go further?
In terms of spin wise, assuming identical swing again, which will create more spin?

2) Blades Vs Cavity - Is it true tht blades are more difficult to handle? i think quite true for those old blades but nowadays they are design in a way to help us swing better, right?
what advantages does blades have over the cavity? workability of ball or more feedback from the shots?
Is it true tht we must be very good player to use blade? or do they have those "beginners" blades. hahah sorry if it sounds stupid.. i thgt blades look damm awesome....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 2:48 pm

On the 2nd item, I used to play with blades (old school) but have found that cavity-back irons are pretty easy to use. There's a good article in this month's Golfasia mag which describes the differences and queries as to whether cavity-back irons have killed blades. I was surprised to learn that many pros actually use cavity-back irons (and some have a mixed bag too).

Personally, I think that blades make it easier to shape the flight of the ball. Notwithstanding this, it may be more difficult for newbies like myself to get flight off blades. However, these are old blades I was playing with - from moons ago. The new blades are more forgiving but admittedly, still meant more for experienced golfers.

I like my cavity-back irons. I think that they are great. Reasonably forgiving though not as long in terms of distance. Nonetheless, with my current game, I prefer consistency (which even then is hard to achieve) rather than distance.

For good reviews on irons, this month and last month's Golfasia mags had great write-ups. Last month discussed some 40-50 iron sets and this month described the differences between blades and cavity-back irons.
Back to top Go down
art
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 3:08 pm

in my limited knowledge,

1) i doubt there are any distance differences with regards to forged vs cast. one of the main differences has to do with the FEEL on impact. forged have been reputed to provide the player with a better feel than cast irons. for e.g. the word butter is associated with mizuno forged irons. But at the same time, there are scientific articles out there saying that this FEEL is very subjective. Blind experiments (forged vs cast given to player without them knowing) did not show any significant differences between the softness between the 2 types of irons. Even objective analysis of how long the ball remains in contact with the club head yielded minute differences that are rarely perceptible to humans.

2) one main difference between blades and cavity, other than the design, is the location of the center of gravity (cg). for a blade, the cg is closer to the center of the club face versus cg being lower in a cavity iron. cg affects impact in the sense that lower cg will translate to ease of getting the ball in the air. Because cg is higher on the blade, shot shaping (fading and drawing) is more likely to occur. in other words, higher cg makes the club more sensitive to mishits and tend to amplify a draw or a fade.

on whether blades should be for beginners, i think there are two camps here. the conventional folk wisdom will advise beginners to stick to cavity-backed irons, simply because they are more forgiving and it is indeed more satisfying to see your ball fly up straight in the air, at the same time it also helps to mute a hook/slice. hitting the ball well also increases your confidence and liking for the game after all. the other camp would propose that improving beginners should transit to blades, because it forces one to strike the ball well, otherwise the ball will not fly consistently. this view is abit more sadistic because it's like lowering the morale and perceived skills of the golfer down and HOPEFULLY inspire the golfer to train harder in order to hit the ball as well as before.

thanks for putting up with my .0002 cents.

let's look forward to dgman's reply to your question. because i think when dgman replies, the thread will end haha..
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 3:13 pm

In my opinion,

1) forged Vs cast - Understand tht forged is softer and manufact in a diff way then cast, tht's why they can be bent later and also feel softer.
I don't think I can really feel it but I think it sound like softer
If we take 2 identical irons (same weight, loft, lie, etc) but 1 forged n the other cast. Using a same swing, which will go further?
I used to believe a forged but theoretically it doesn't make sense leh
In terms of spin wise, assuming identical swing again, which will create more spin?
My answer is as above

2) Blades Vs Cavity - Is it true tht blades are more difficult to handle? i think quite true for those old blades but nowadays they are design in a way to help us swing better, right?
I still think that a blade is much more difficult to play
what advantages does blades have over the cavity? workability of ball or more feedback from the shots?
Look more pro and I like the clean shape
Is it true tht we must be very good player to use blade? or do they have those "beginners" blades. hahah sorry if it sounds stupid.. i thgt blades look damm awesome....
Not really must be a very good player to use a blade lah but you must be able to hit the sweet spot reasonably consistant before you will want to consider a blade
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 3:58 pm

art wrote:

let's look forward to dgman's reply to your question. because i think when dgman replies, the thread will end haha..

no lah it wont lah.. this forum we have alot of healthy debate and discussion, so even though dgman might be an authority on clubfitting, we still can debate and discuss the pros and cons of blades etc etc... let's not limit ourselves to a single-track mind kinda thinking, unlike lesser mortals...

anyway art, your answer is quite good what... what limited knowledge...
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 4:12 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
Look more pro and I like the clean shape

Same here.. Beer
Back to top Go down
art
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 5:05 pm

MT yes, i agree that it is the spirit of this forum to engage in healthy discussion.. that's why i said mine is only worth .00002 cents. we need to hear points from more people to make it a tangible $1.

let us know your user experience when you get the miuras with the sexy back k
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 5:48 pm

MT will only tell you what's the feel of the grip and shaft ROFL
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 6:32 pm

wow very informative answers... tx.... more inputs i oso dun mind...

art, from yr answer i rest my case... u r really good... SmileShocked

JC, actually hor... i oso think tht to use blade look very gilat n pro.... as my 1st teacher says, canot hit nvm...but must look good... then can tell ppl u no form Embarassed
even if u hit good but look bad, ppl oso thgt u heng wan.. hahahhaa

wondering if there is any left hand bro here got blade irons... hope to try.... but i think quite hard.... Sad

MT, quick, go buy the miuras.... the looks itself can kill liao!!! 8)
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 10:23 pm

Jake, you shall ask from Mr. Lam, he shall have all kind of LH iron for you to try. Cavity back, Muscle back, half cavity and etc..... for you to try. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 11:28 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
Jake, you shall ask from Mr. Lam, he shall have all kind of LH iron for you to try. Cavity back, Muscle back, half cavity and etc..... for you to try. Rolling Eyes

bro JC, mr lam very busy....i have yet to play a game with him yet.. sob sob Sad

so far he and UL is the 2 most difficult to arrange to play with, i think.... Razz
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 1:59 am

he busy meh..
shop for so long at GOlf House during the sale..
keke. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
noonan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Has anyone try these combo sets? Longer irons in cavity and shorter iron in blade.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 1:59 pm

I try the Titleist 775CB before. It is said to be a combo set.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:20 pm

wow combo set.... interesting....sounds like best of both worlds....
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:46 pm

Best club for beginners forged, thin topline, give feedback on mishits and more importantly forgiving cheers

Let me know if you want to try.
Back to top Go down
chinchiachun
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chinchiachun

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:47 pm

jaketang wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

bro JC, mr lam very busy....i have yet to play a game with him yet.. sob sob Sad

so far he and UL is the 2 most difficult to arrange to play with, i think.... Razz

Jake, Mr Lam also have bare back and sexy back etc. And please, if you want to have a game with Mr. Lam, take a queue number and don't jump queue, your mentor SS and me next in line. Better show some respect to your mentor. Hahahahha. Of cos you are most welcomed to join us but must give us 4 4 lah.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:53 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Best club for beginners forged, thin topline, give feedback on mishits and more importantly forgiving cheers

Let me know if you want to try.

i would love to try WMF....but unless i learn right handed, if not i dun think i can try yrs... Crying or Very sad

tx for the offer....
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Sounded like queuing for XMM

Laughing
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:55 pm

chinchiachun wrote:
jaketang wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

Jake, Mr Lam also have bare back and sexy back etc. And please, if you want to have a game with Mr. Lam, take a queue number and don't jump queue, your mentor SS and me next in line. Better show some respect to your mentor. Hahahahha. Of cos you are most welcomed to join us but must give us 4 4 lah.

bro CCC, u n my mentor cum Mr Lam, total only 3 ma... can squeeze me in for the 4th ball right?

how to give u 4-4? SS give me 3-3 leh....(must ask for 5-5)
but if u insist, we play for 100plus.... i give it to u on the 1st hole. Smile swee?
Back to top Go down
chinchiachun
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chinchiachun

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 3:01 pm

jaketang wrote:
chinchiachun wrote:
jaketang wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

bro CCC, u n my mentor cum Mr Lam, total only 3 ma... can squeeze me in for the 4th ball right?

how to give u 4-4? SS give me 3-3 leh....(must ask for 5-5)
but if u insist, we play for 100plus.... i give it to u on the 1st hole. Smile swee?

Exactly, we are inviting you as the 4th ball. SS give me 7-7 leh, so he give you 3-3 and you give me 4-4 correct lor. The 4 4 i mean is 4 cans of 100 plus for each 9 hole lah, 1 can for each of us mah.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 3:12 pm

swee......

if get the chance to play with all 3 of you in same flight, let me buy the drinks....

my honor..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity   Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forged Vs Cast, Blades Vs Cavity
Page 1 of 1