Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Empty
PostSubject: FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club   FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:52 am

Here’s my FR on latest visit – Sabah Golf and Country Club.

The course is located within 10 minutes drive from the City center and 25 minutes from the Kota Kinabalu International Airport, nestled in the a few nice and very expensive looking residential homes, rests a beautiful mature golf course!

FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club 18course

Layout

This course is one of the 2 oldest 18-hole golf course, the
32 year old golf course presents a golfing experience like no other. Reputed as one of the toughest golf courses in South East Asia, this traditional inland golf course was designed by Robert Muir Graves, was opened for play in 1976 and was remodeled in year 2004 by Nelson & Haworth Golf Course Architects.
And yes, it is still cow grass. When you play there, it’s as if you played in 1970s.

The only comparison that I can relate to is like Sembawang GC, with an crazy engineer's touch of super tough holes, many more water, longer and island like holes. The slopes are created to to trap its unsuspected players thinking that they can get safe haven but the next thing you know you are in the ponds. Most of the fairways are tight and long, 10 of the holes, you cant even see the water that lies in front of you.

Putting Green
In the first game that we played, I was very disappointed with the putting green. Its very dry and patchy. It hardly rolled, rather jumps. There a bit of sign that it was kinda abused and rolled unpredictably. Partly, it could be that it is under going maintenance to repair the conditions. Later in the week, in our next game, it was much better experience due to the fact that grass have grown and in better condition than it was before.

Bunkers
I rate the bunkers as my all-time favorites. Its well maintained with competition grade soft sand and its depth poses a challenge even to the skilled players. The first step on the bunkers, you know you are in for a deep dive and it would take you at least 2 strokes to get out. I was so surprised that the bunkers were well raked and maintained despite the condition of the putting green.

Club house
It is undergoing some renovation when I played, a large section was hacked. So, we had to shower near gym area. A nice surprise that we got 30% discounts for beers, which total up to RM 30 for a jug of beers. Pretty cheap. The food was good and a bit too salty. You must try the Mee Touran and Wet Mee Goreng. Beer, of course is a must.

Price

Weekdays, it is Rm 280.50 per game with buggy. It is affiliated to Keppel, OCC and JCC. For caddy, its additional RM 50 more. A bit pricey but for an experience of toughest course in Asia, you are in for a ride and probably pissed at in every hole.

FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0142
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0143
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0144
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0145
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0146
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0147
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0148
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0150
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0151
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0152
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0153
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0154
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0156
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0157
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0158
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0159
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0160
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0161
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0162
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0163
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0166
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0167
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0168
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0169
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0170
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0171
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0172
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0173
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0174
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0175
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0176
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0177
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0178
FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club Image0179
Back to top Go down
Edgarkj
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club   FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:35 am

Great FR! I'm going to Sabah next month, and for some reason, the golf courses there are really expensive!

Not to mention the hotels too!

Khorkar - can I ask why you chose to play this course... and not the others?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club   FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 3:21 pm

Yeah, you are right, they (courses and hotels) are expensive and more expensive than Peninsula. Wanted to play a few other but they are really EX. Sutera is only for members and guest. Even if you stay there, the green fees are rm 380 per pax. There are few others which are pretty nice, Borneo and Dalit. Borneo are a bit far off, abt 60 km out. Dalit is very expensive this season, i think abt 400 per person. Only ones left for option is Sabah and Kinabalu GC. Kinabalu is abt rm 140 per person and only 11 holes. Rent a car and take a GPS with you on yr trip, it pretty helpful.
Back to top Go down
dodo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dodo

PostSubject: Re: FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club   FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:39 pm

Good FR. I played in KK, Sabah nearly 10 years ago, but missed this one. Did you play Borneo CC, Sutera Harbor or Karambunai? Borneo and Karambunai were real beasts too, remember one Borneo CC windy hole across a lake, even a 3 wood had problem crossing to the green on a par 4. Sutera I like too, had really beautiful few holes overlooking South China sea and golfing those few holes before sunset in august was memorable. Alas, no more chance to golf overseas now. Hope you enjoy all your overseas play and keep those pics coming. I cannot play overseas, but can admire others' pics considered a treat for me too!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club   FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:06 pm

Dodo, you are too humble. These days, whenever I get a chance, i will try to play a game or two and try my very best to do FR. Although my FR need some work. Will try my very best to give my very best to describe the condition of the green. Hopefully, one day, i will get a chance to go back. I heard good stuff abt borneo, highly regarded and same goes for Dalit. Those are my next aim if i get a chance to go back. One thing that i notice abt KK, is that the price of the greens there a bit steep that its kinda deters people to golf there. Unlike Thailand, the price that you pay in there for a good course only come at par. That i believe is the biggest draw back in KK.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club   FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:10 pm

wow! it looks so serene! nice!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club   FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:14 pm

For a camera phone, it not too bad right.... Sumore, its a alcheapo Nokia...
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club   FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Then it must be the artist and not the brush Razz

Bravo! Thanks for sharing! Smile
Back to top Go down
Edgarkj
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club   FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Just got back from Sabah - wanted to post a short field report.

Stayed at Sutera Habour for the first 2 days so I could play there. Hotel was crap, but golf course was decent. Some holes had stunning views of the ocean.

Paid MYR250 all inclusive using World Mastercard Promo. Course and green were well maintained. Not too many people, so it was a pleasant game.

Moved later to Shangri La Tanjong Aru. Beautiful Hotel.

Played at Nexus golf club, which is about 30 mins drive away from the town. Paid MYR 140 return for taxi to take us there. Green fee was free using CIMB World Master Card. Paid MYR50 for buggy with gps.

The course is set below the mountains. Generally a nice and well maintained course, but a long way out from town. It will be only worth playing if you stay around the area (like the nexus resort or the other Shang ri La).

If any of you going up soon, I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club   FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FR - Sabah Golf and Country Club
Page 1 of 1