Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is spinning check for driver shaft important

Go down 
+4
DGman
ghoonk
solarpop
golf_snowman
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

Is spinning check for driver shaft important Empty
PostSubject: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi all,

I would like to find out is it important to perform a spinning check on driver shaft after we have bought a driver say from PW, GH...whereever...

what is the effect of before and after spinning check and adjustment ?

Would greatly appreciate your advise.

Thank you.

Snowman
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 6:14 pm

What's a spinning check? Do you mean spine alingment? Based on the few times that i've seen it being done, i think you would have to remove the clubhead before checking. After that is done, re-install the head, then you probably will have to readjust the grip unless you're not fussy about which way the grip faces.

Alot of effort for a stock shaft, with minimal benefits imo. Stock shafts are usually quite crappy.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 6:28 pm

On stock setup, probably not worth the time and effort to do it, but if you're getting custom fitted, the incremental cost of spining is like paying extra for power windows. You don't NEED to have it (obviously the club will still be useable), but not getting it done there and then means the hassle of having to do it later if desired, just that it will cost more than if the fitter was to have done it in the first place, and it'll take a day or so.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:41 pm

if its a good shaft, there is no need to spine.

The Diamana, Bassara, Graphite Design, Fujikura and even the BFG Graman (fish and kajiki series) are in that category.

for the above shafts, the OFL (Optimal Flex Line) is in neutral and NOT the natural bend point.

you can try spine-ing the above shafts and i can guarantee that the logo position is still the best.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:05 pm

What do you mean by logo position? Logo at 12 oclock?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Logo is at the back of the shaft.

You can not see the logo when you are addressing. But you can see the logo in the follow through. Just like this;

Is spinning check for driver shaft important 4243920551_62f33a3236
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:21 pm

only if you are left handed...but for most of the premium brand its logo down...

of course if you want everyone to know that you have just spend a bomb on the shaft, you can still have it logo up.

DGman
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 8:27 am

Hi all

thanks for the advise.

The reason me asking because recently i just bought a driver, that came with Fujikura Speeder shaft from PW, should I consider that as stock shaft ?

At what situation would I need to spine-ing check ?

And should spine-ing is done, what should i observe ? distance ? ball dispersion ?

If stock shaft do not give much benefit from spine-ing and branded shaft do not really require spine-ing check, is there really a need to do so ?

thank you
snowman
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 9:39 am

what brand of driver?..not all speeder are aftermarket type and quality.

pictures?

thanks...DGman
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 9:44 am

Which driver from PW ? let me guess, Callaway FTi with the speeder 5 series shaft ?

Laughing

DGman wrote:
what brand of driver?..not all speeder are aftermarket type and quality.

pictures?

thanks...DGman
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 am

hi DGman

it's Callaway driver, come with speeder 586. i bought it during PW sales

i dunno how to post up picture, maybe someone can help ?....keke

thanks

snowman[left]
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 10:02 am

I have one similiar one in my bag also..... I feel that my Regular 586 speeder shaft play more stiff than my Stiff Proforce V2 shaft....

Originally got a thought that it was not spined (it happened to one of my hybrid with Graffaloy shaft where spine angle was nearly 180 degree off) but a closer look the tip of the shaft was much thicker than my Proforce V2. That i suspect makes the speeder shaft feel stiffer than I thought. Not sure if you have the same issue..... cyclops

golf_snowman wrote:
hi DGman

it's Callaway driver, come with speeder 586. i bought it during PW sales

i dunno how to post up picture, maybe someone can help ?....keke

thanks

snowman[left]
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 10:12 am

hi bro

actually i just wanna find out why spine-ing is necessary and what situation would i need to do spine-ing check.

I'm not too sure spine-ing had to do with shaft flex...maybe DGman can give us some pointer..keke

my initial thot is that spine-ing would give a better feedback of the shaft than a non-spined driver...i could be wrong, i'm just guessing..keke

snowman
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 pm

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_11_51/ai_67340781/

http://clubmaker-online.com/spines.html

http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/spining.htm

This one has the most info: http://tinyurl.com/ydvjuj9
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 5:19 pm

hi bro

thanks for the info.

snowman
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 6:18 pm

No problem. Some people believe in spining, others do not. In my opinion, it only makes sense if you're getting aftermarket shafts fitted. Like DGman says, the good (but expensive) shafts usually don't need to be spined (but I get them checked and spined anyway, since the shaft is not fitted yet) Smile

Spining has nothing to do with stiffness, and people generally believe that an incorrectly spined shaft that should be spined will result in loss of accuracy and/or distance.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 10:54 am

the 586 is a MIC speeder.....

you can spine this if you want but its not a very good shaft to begin with.

DGman
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:13 am

ghoonk wrote:
No problem. Some people believe in spining, others do not. In my opinion, it only makes sense if you're getting aftermarket shafts fitted. Like DGman says, the good (but expensive) shafts usually don't need to be spined (but I get them checked and spined anyway, since the shaft is not fitted yet) Smile

Spining has nothing to do with stiffness, and people generally believe that an incorrectly spined shaft that should be spined will result in loss of accuracy and/or distance.

hi bro

thanks for the advise. I guess different people has diff believe and in general, it seems like spine-ing do not really give alot of benefit, technically. My best guess is it might helps mentally psychologically...keke

thanks alot

snowman
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:16 am

DGman wrote:
the 586 is a MIC speeder.....

you can spine this if you want but its not a very good shaft to begin with.

DGman

dear DGman,

MIC = make in C***...am i rite ?

fujikura has a factory in C**** making 586 ?

So far, from all the feedback, I would just play as it is....since this shaft is not a very good shaft...keke

thank you so much

snowman
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:36 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

hi bro

thanks for the advise. I guess different people has diff believe and in general, it seems like spine-ing do not really give alot of benefit, technically. My best guess is it might helps mentally psychologically...keke

thanks alot

snowman

I won't be so quick to judge. I'm basing my feedback on personal preference and references I have picked up off the internet. I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion that it's useless (perhaps you're an engineer of sorts?), but I would love to understand how you figured that it doesn't really give a lot of benefit. Perhaps if you are drawing a comparison between fixing or developing a better swing vs spining, then yes, I would agree -- spining just gives you an additional advantage if your swing is consistent, stable and mature.

It's kind of like saying that wheel alignment doesn't really matter in a car Razz
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:57 pm

wheel alignment v. impt only if everyone drives like u Razz
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:12 pm

shhhhh. brb, BBC calling me again Wink
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:19 pm

ghoonk wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

hi bro

thanks alot

snowman

I won't be so quick to judge. I'm basing my feedback on personal preference and references I have picked up off the internet. I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion that it's useless (perhaps you're an engineer of sorts?), but I would love to understand how you figured that it doesn't really give a lot of benefit. Perhaps if you are drawing a comparison between fixing or developing a better swing vs spining, then yes, I would agree -- spining just gives you an additional advantage if your swing is consistent, stable and mature.

It's kind of like saying that wheel alignment doesn't really matter in a car Razz

Hi bro

thanks, well in fact i'n not saying it's totally useless but maybe the benefit gain is not alot.

I still believe the saying, "it's the indian, not the arrow or bow"...developing and delivering a consistent good swing and good distance control is much more important to me.

thanks for allowing me to clarify my statement..cheers !!

snowman
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:20 pm

agreed, but when you have 2 indians at the same level of skill, then a better arrow helps Wink

besides, as DGman has already said, it's not something you go out of your way to do, but is something that you might as well do if you're getting a new shaft fitted.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:26 pm

haha...agree bro...

i think the next time when i decided to change shaft, will get DGman to help me with it.

My swing still not consistent leh...so better fix the "indian" problem before looking at the arrow...keke

btw, u multiple golf sets really swee...keep me drooling for many days...haha !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is spinning check for driver shaft important   Is spinning check for driver shaft important I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is spinning check for driver shaft important
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next