Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Standard Length for irons

Go down 
+3
billcoke
babolat
Ant
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

Standard Length for irons Empty
PostSubject: Standard Length for irons   Standard Length for irons I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Is there a standard length for irons? I was fitted with "standard" length irons shaft a couple of months ago by a local fitter. He wrote "Standard length" in the receipt that was issued to me. When I decided to change to another shaft last week by another fitter who told me that my current "standard" length was 1/2" short. scratchscratchscratch

The 2nd fitter then used a Japanese set in his shop and show me that my current set is indeed 1/2" shorter that "standard". So did my first fitter make a mistake? Or there is no such thing as " standard" length?
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
babolat

PostSubject: Re: Standard Length for irons   Standard Length for irons I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 11:40 pm

http://clubmaker.net/golf_club_length_specs.htm

Now seems like club makers have made increase the shaft length by 0.5".
I know my Taylor made RBZ II 5 iron has the same length and loft as my miura 4 iron.
Hence, the TM falsely makes you feel like you hit longer.
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Standard Length for irons   Standard Length for irons I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 11:51 pm

Ant wrote:
Is there a standard length for irons? I was fitted with "standard" length irons shaft a couple of months ago by a local fitter. He wrote "Standard length" in the receipt that was issued to me. When I decided to change to another shaft last week by another fitter who told me that my current "standard" length was 1/2" short. scratchscratchscratch

The 2nd fitter then used a Japanese set in his shop and show me that my current set is indeed 1/2" shorter that "standard". So did my first fitter make a mistake? Or there is no such thing as " standard" length?

At the golf course, sometimes we need to choke down the club for more control or choke up for more distance. So we do vary our club length for different purpose, hence I doubt the 1/2 " difference has a impact to your swing?
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Standard Length for irons   Standard Length for irons I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 10:19 am

One should not pay too much attention to "standard" length of the clubs. Instead, determine the average distance that each piece of iron or wood in your set of clubs is giving you. That way, you will know which club to use when you need to achieve certain distance, with or without having to make adjustments for wind direction, trajectory, etc.
Back to top Go down
yogibear
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yogibear

PostSubject: Re: Standard Length for irons   Standard Length for irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Don't think too much about "standard " length. Your standard length may be different from my standard length. Do your own calibration on your irons n their distances and let it rip. Smile
Back to top Go down
leoie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
leoie

PostSubject: Re: Standard Length for irons   Standard Length for irons I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 2:41 pm

yogibear wrote:
Don't think too much about "standard " length. Your standard length may be different from my standard length. Do your own calibration on your irons n their distances and let it rip. Smile

hi, newbie here. sounds abit chim. how do we do calibration on our irons and analyze its distance?
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Standard Length for irons   Standard Length for irons I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Go to a driving range and hit say, 10-20 balls with each iron using your "normal" full swing and guage what is your average distance for each club. The distances do differ from golfer to golfer. Some people can hit their 7 iron to 150-160 meters while some may only manage 120-130 meters. To each his own. Once you have an idea of your average distance, you will be in a better position to decide which club to use for the shot you wish to make. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
DKing
Caddy
Caddy
DKing

PostSubject: Re: Standard Length for irons   Standard Length for irons I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 11:03 pm

leoie wrote:
yogibear wrote:

hi, newbie here. sounds abit chim. how do we do calibration on our irons and analyze its distance?
You analyze distance, roughly, at the range, but take into account the height of your platform. There are also fitters like BFG, with Trackman to highlight a whole spectrum of your shot details. Can do your "calibration" there as well.

There is this golf simulator at Ubi, Golfwalker. The system is able to track some shot details as well.

Accuracy of each is up for debate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Standard Length for irons   Standard Length for irons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Standard Length for irons
Page 1 of 1