Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bogeyman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogeyman

Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro Empty
PostSubject: Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro   Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 11:12 am

Just for my own knowledge...
Guys, I happened to notice this at a driving range. There was this teaching pro with his students(some guys,some gals). Well, the pro can pretty much TALK and guide the students thru the drills and stuffs like dat. While I was seating and resting, I happened to notice the teaching pro trying to show the students the way to hit. Looks like a short or mid iron and he keeps topping, duffing and even shank a couple of balls not to mention his swing doesn't even look proper. And this is not the 1st time that I have seen him do dat since...

My question is, doesn't a teaching pro need to be at least a single handicapper or close in order to be one or do they just need to just pay and take up the teaching course before they can start to teach?

Just curious...Bogeyman
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro   Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 11:25 am

Was the pro trying to show his students what are the various bad shots? Like what is a duff, what is a top blah blah... if he can do this consistently, then he might be quite a good teaching pro.....

I think there are various type of pro test, one of them is from the SPGA where they need to take a test. Playing Pro and Teaching pro, the criterias are different, and there are some that are taken overseas too. ANd there is also one type where you can actually buy the cert... so end of day, its best to have a referral so you more or less know what you are expecting... "pay peanuts, get monkeys"
Back to top Go down
bogeyman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogeyman

PostSubject: Re: Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro   Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 11:36 am

Actually I dun think he's doing it to show the students as I've also seen him do it when th students are not around...know there's something like A pro and B pro, the guy's probably like a C pro...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro   Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 11:39 am

I do know many successful Soccer coaches are not good players but they coach winning teams

I do know many successful Bosses are not good engineers but they run IT companies

I do know many successful restaurant owners who are not good chefts but owns successful eatery outlets

lastly....I do know that I tell myself that I have a lot of talent in golf....but I suck at playing golf.

In summary.....its tough to link successful personal records to successful coaching.

Last edited by Duval_S on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro   Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 11:40 am

bogeyman wrote:
Actually I dun think he's doing it to show the students as I've also seen him do it when th students are not around...know there's something like A pro and B pro, the guy's probably like a C pro...

If thats the case, then he shouldnt be a pro in a first play. I know some strong amatuer players who teaches quite well too.
Back to top Go down
bogeyman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogeyman

PostSubject: Re: Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro   Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 12:09 pm

Duval_S wrote:
I do know many successful Soccer coaches are not good players but they coach winning teams

I do know many successful Bosses are not good engineers but they run IT companies

I do know many successful restaurant owners who are not good chefts but owns successful eatery outlets

lastly....I do know that I tell myself that I have a lot of talent in golf....but I suck at playing golf.

In summary.....its tough to link successful personal records to successful coaching.

Hi DS, I get wat u mean, just dat how do u actually convince a guy that u are more than capable of teaching him and enhancing his game when u can't even show him the proper mechanics of a golf swing yourself besides talking abt it. I mean, I would be so very impressed and proud to tell others that my coach hits the ball well and has a swing like what I see on Golf Channel. But if it's just all talk and no show(for a pro-wise), then I think anyone would be more than qualified to be teahing pros ya? Peace
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro   Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 12:18 pm

I guess it depends on the coach.
I do not believe that a valid teaching professional coach will sell themselves up for golf coaching if they do not have a "track record".

I am one that is very suspicious of taking lessons. waste money and waste time mental old school.
Go range and practice, until someone told me. When you are at the range, what are you practicing?

This makes me ponder.

I used many coaches now. More so I stick to the one that "understands" my game playing ability and try to point the minor changes. Somethings, some coaches just say the "right words" and it will get stuck in your head and makes you improve.

for me, golf sciences vs physical limitations is a challenge.
nonetheless, GOLF = Go On Learning Forever.

ps. getting a coach is not a waste of time nor waste or money. shopping is? ^^ lol
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro   Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Bro bogeyman, I kind of liken this to soccer lor...most of the successful coaches start fm bottoms up unless the small handful which are super duper stars during their prime days.

so for golf, alot has to do with recommendation. Eg. The forley chap....lucky he can coach the hunter and donno who, and then kena Tiger......gold mine liao lor

so in nutshell, its about recommendation.

of coz there are exception like fm garmen where the high ranked civic servants actually teach the towkays of the SMB enterpriese how to run business...but that is exception lor.

Back to top Go down
bogeyman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogeyman

PostSubject: Re: Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro   Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Yes DS. Totally get where u coming from. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't go teach someone or correct someone when I know that I myself CMI. But well, if one is willing to beat and another willing to be beaten...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro   Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Quote :
bogeyman wrote:
Yes DS. Totally get where u coming from. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't go teach someone or correct someone when I know that I myself CMI. But well, if one is willing to beat and another willing to be beaten...

my view....the fine line is between 'Opinion' and 'Teach'.

For folks like me where I don have personal credentials in golf nor do I have ability, I can give opinion only...ala the Freedom of speech.

BUT, never ever on the pretext of 'TEACH'

Giving opinion is most times good......the tough part is when to turn it off....hahahah...

like now...... ROFL

I will stop NOW......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro   Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Standard & Credentials of a Teaching Pro
Page 1 of 1