Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro

Go down 
+2
slinger
watchman88sg
6 posters
AuthorMessage
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro Empty
PostSubject: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi all, the question posted in this topic has been lurking in my mind for a couple of years already and it is also one of my wishlists to become certified as a golf teacher which I have procrastinated all these while.

I have been golfing for some 20 years and have broken pars on as many rounds of golf as I can count. I stopped playing for a few years in between and am now doing consistently at +3 or 4 from the back tee. Over the years though, I have had the opportunity to meet and play with golfers ranging from scratch to high handicappers and discovered myself to be more enjoyable in the game playing with the latter if I could share a swing tip or 2 during the round of golf (I do not voluntarily offer any tips or advice) if flightmates asked for. Same can be said whenever I am practising at driving ranges as well and to be honest, I really enjoyed sharing swing tips (I won't say teaching or even giving instructions) and giving my opinions if requested. As I am now into my 40s, financially stable and kids no longer need more attention from the father as they did previously, the urge to realize my wish is even stronger ie. to officially teach golf, share tips, meeting new golfers and more importantly doing something which I like (at the same time take life easy) albeit monetary returns being secondary. To make this happen though, I reckon that it is imperative that I embark on a proper path to obtain a certification and henceforth my question herein lies. I have searched the web and uncovered 2 institutions offering teaching certification courses such as (1) AMGTF and (2) USGTF. please advise if :

A. are these 2 institutions worthy of ?
B. are there any other institutions offering similar course / certification,
preferably in Singapore ?

Whilst I hope that any pros here can offer me some insights to my genuine questions posted here, I would also expect some to come in and start flaming which I can't stop you. It's your own prerogative anyways Smile

Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 12:51 pm

WM88, i do not have any answers for you but would like to let u know that you have my support and my envy......

Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 1:00 pm

slinger wrote:
WM88, i do not have any answers for you but would like to let u know that you have my support and my envy......

Hi Slinger, kumsia....
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Hey WM88,

All the best in realising your dream!

I would love to reach the standard where I am able to play in the 60s and 70s and teach golf ... but I've still got a long way and many many hours of playing and practice to go ...

Good luck!

Derek
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 1:49 pm

Hey bro, good luck on your quest.

is it possible to take gtf certification (for theoritical foundation) and pass the spore or indon pga test thereafter?

Had a chat with a spga pro before, I dun think spga has official courses/traineeship. If you pass the playing test, maintain hcap lower than 7 and pay membership fee, you can teach here under their banners. Do you still live in indon?
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:10 pm

pushslice wrote:

is it possible to take gtf certification (for theoritical foundation) and pass the spore or indon pga test thereafter?

Had a chat with a spga pro before, I dun think spga has official courses/traineeship. If you pass the playing test, maintain hcap lower than 7 and pay membership fee, you can teach here under their banners. Do you still live in indon?

Hi bro PS, thanks for the information, greatly appreciated. Either ways, I don't have any issues whether is theoritical or playing ability tests. Any idea what is the passing for PAT under SPGA if I may ask and how to go about registering ? I am sure the PAT for one aspiring to be a teaching pro is not as strict or demanding as the PAT for one aspiring to become playing / touring pro. Yes, I still live in Indon for now and being 'all over the shop' and out of Sin for a long time, I don't think I will fit in my home country anymore regrettably.
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Derek wrote:
Hey WM88,

All the best in realising your dream!

I would love to reach the standard where I am able to play in the 60s and 70s and teach golf ... but I've still got a long way and many many hours of playing and practice to go ...

Good luck!

Derek

Hey Derek, thanks for the wishes man ! I was lucky enough to learn golf the correct way when I first started out as my dad put me through series of coaching by the Pro. It is important that we appraoch the game with the correct mechanics and continue to improve on what we have learnt along the way. Fret not if you aren't playing good enough now. I am sure someday you will.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:37 pm

Derr***,

Wow, it will be great when you become certified as a golf teacher. I have a list of players here in Surabaya would like to sign up as student. I can be your marketing guy and also will be the 1st student on the list too.. I guess, we are going to play again next week, right ?
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:44 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Derr***,

Wow, it will be great when you become certified as a golf teacher. I have a list of players here in Surabaya would like to sign up as student. I can be your marketing guy and also will be the 1st student on the list too.. I guess, we are going to play again next week, right ?

Hi ST, actually no plans for next week as kaki resting due Ramadan. If you are gamed, I really don't mind to have a shot, Graha Famili or BDG preferred since already done Ciputra this week. But ..... I thought you said you'll be travelling, no ?
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:53 pm

watchman88sg wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
Derr***,

Hi ST, actually no plans for next week as kaki resting due Ramadan. If you are gamed, I really don't mind to have a shot, Graha Famili or BDG preferred since already done Ciputra this week. But ..... I thought you said you'll be travelling, no ?

DE,

Yes, I am traveling but not until Wed. I am still open on Mon & Tue. I know you do not like Graha, let play BDG (they have promotion rate during Ramadan too). I will call once I get enough balls. ( get it .. get enough ball haaaaa Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:57 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
watchman88sg wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
Derr***,

DE,

Yes, I am traveling but not until Wed. I am still open on Mon & Tue. I know you do not like Graha, let play BDG (they have promotion rate during Ramadan too). I will call once I get enough balls. ( get it .. get enough ball haaaaa Very Happy )

ST, Tuesday sounds good....ONZ ! Let me know...BTW, BDG long hor, better play from white ya ? Wink
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 4:09 pm

watchman88sg wrote:

ST, Tuesday sounds good....ONZ ! Let me know...BTW, BDG long hor, better play from white ya ? Wink

Come bro, do not try to be cute ... With your driving distance ? .. I am playing from White and you remind in blue or black .. no negotiation Exclamation

Sorry for Topic OFF ... Let go back to your original post " How to become certified as a teaching Pro " and hope someone can provide you with some information.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 5:37 pm

watchman88sg wrote:
pushslice wrote:

Hi bro PS, thanks for the information, greatly appreciated. Either ways, I don't have any issues whether is theoritical or playing ability tests. Any idea what is the passing for PAT under SPGA if I may ask and how to go about registering ? I am sure the PAT for one aspiring to be a teaching pro is not as strict or demanding as the PAT for one aspiring to become playing / touring pro. Yes, I still live in Indon for now and being 'all over the shop' and out of Sin for a long time, I don't think I will fit in my home country anymore regrettably.

Good luck!
http://www.sinpga.org/April%202010%20PRO%20test%20%20Entry%20Formv1,.pdf
I heard that there is a possible change in that "B" pro will be removed and there would only be "A" pro in Singapore under the SPGA, please confirm.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro   How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How To Become Certified As A Teaching Pro
Page 1 of 1