Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

vokey wedges rust

Go down 
+14
golf_snowman
JL_chong
ron81
hillgreen
botak
pocketace
S70B
fabulous
chocoman
Technospaz
Wongster
helmeahmad
chemicalpro
guybrush
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
guybrush
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 11:59 pm

hi,

i just got my titleist vokey oil can few weeks ago and played with it a few times already and it feels great.. however i just notice that it starts to rust at some areas..

is this ok? supposed to be like this in the long run?

thanks in advance guys Smile
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:03 am

Rust grants more spin and zip, so it might not be such a bad thing.

Wished my oil can would rust more Mad
Back to top Go down
helmeahmad
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:10 am

Mine also rust. The more rust the better. More bite.
Back to top Go down
Wongster
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:18 am

I have heard of some guys wrapping their vokey heads with a damp cloth to induce more rust affraid
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am

cheers to oxidation! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:01 am

I was apprehensive at first when my Callaway X-Forged wedge began to rust. However, I realize that with the rust, you get more spin and control on the ball. True, the club looks like it's in bad condition but on the contrary, it seems to play pretty well. So, it's not a bad thing to have a rusty wedge Smile
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:05 am

Technospaz wrote:
I was apprehensive at first when my Callaway X-Forged wedge began to rust. However, I realize that with the rust, you get more spin and control on the ball. True, the club looks like it's in bad condition but on the contrary, it seems to play pretty well. So, it's not a bad thing to have a rusty wedge Smile

spin from warren to marina bay??
Back to top Go down
fabulous
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
fabulous

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:18 am

Rush wedge is good for spin the ball more but since I have to buy the balls no sponsors so i rather not to have rush wedge cos will scratches more balls when you are using rusty wedge.
Chocoman can do without rust wedge, he even can do with his Driver. Beer
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 am

chocoman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

spin from warren to marina bay??

Hello, I'm not you.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:58 am

I posted this from another forum quite awhile ago. Not sure if everyone has read it:

Is Rust A Must
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 9:03 am

for me, the down side to rusty wedges is that it really dirtying the hood of the golf bag... moreover, i feel that local courses, greens are not soft enough to bite for backspin, also, you need to use the right ball. But anyway, if you get anything other than a chrome or satin finish, you can expect some rust on your oil-can finish wedge.

the first generation Circa 62 SC putter also will rust and you need to apply baby oil after every round. for those who dun want a rusty wedge, maybe can apply same treatment to your wedge after your round? just remember to rub off the oil before the start of your round, else, you wedge shots will run on and on and on.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 9:15 am

S70B wrote:
I posted this from another forum quite awhile ago. Not sure if everyone has read it:

Is Rust A Must

I like this para in the article...

"Also, there's a wives' tale that rusty wedges increase spin. The theory is that the rust creates a rougher surface, and that friction leads to more spin. That's bull. The spin is the same for a rusty wedge as it is for a chromed wedge - when they're both new. Once the wedges start wearing down, you'll lose some spin, and that will happen faster with a raw wedge than with one that is chromed."

Same as how many perceive forged to be "softer" than cast irons...
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 9:40 am

Interesting article....... hmm, so rust will not create more spin..... No

ha... maybe psychlogically..... What a Face

botak wrote:
S70B wrote:

Is Rust A Must

I like this para in the article...

"Also, there's a wives' tale that rusty wedges increase spin. The theory is that the rust creates a rougher surface, and that friction leads to more spin. That's bull. The spin is the same for a rusty wedge as it is for a chromed wedge - when they're both new. Once the wedges start wearing down, you'll lose some spin, and that will happen faster with a raw wedge than with one that is chromed."

Same as how many perceive forged to be "softer" than cast irons...
Back to top Go down
guybrush
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 10:05 am

yeah i saw that article from google as well.. but the rust does look ugly.. maybe need a solution to just reduce the rust? read from internet that soaking in coke helps... haha.. not sure about it though..
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 10:09 am

no, soakin in coke oni removes it. The rust will come back if its damp.

Suggest u wipe it dry after every round. then air it and store in a dry place after ur games and practices.
Back to top Go down
ron81
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ron81

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:31 pm

S70B wrote:
no, soakin in coke oni removes it. The rust will come back if its damp.

Suggest u wipe it dry after every round. then air it and store in a dry place after ur games and practices.

Learn something here everyday.. As I didn't know Coke works for removing rust..

~I'm off to buy a carton of Coke.. Hehehe..
Back to top Go down
JL_chong
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
JL_chong

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:01 pm

Actually the oil can model of the vockey wedge suppose to rust after used, it's one of its "feature"... The nike VR Wedge (Black colour) also the same concept.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:29 pm

i'm just bouth the VR wedge (black color) from Lukewa and it was stated on the wedge that rust will be experience as it is meant for it, however, personally i really dnt like the idea of watching my wedge turn rusty..

Saw Rex reply that coke can help to remove rust.

May i ask, if i apply some oil or cream onto the wedge, it will help to prevent rust as well ?

please advise me..thank you.

snowman
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:38 pm

Snowman,

I have a few wedges that rust after awhile.

I just use fine sand paper with WD40 to get rid of it, wash it off then a thin layer of silicon spray or baby oil shd do the trick. Keyword: thin.

U can try Autosol to remove it or something called Flitz thats avail here in US but not sure if it is back home. Same kind of product to me.

My putter is an Oil Can Scotty and I hardly oil or spray on anything before and after rounds. I just make sure its clean and free from chemical-full fertilizer n dirt.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi bro Rex

thanks for the advise.

I have this bad habbit of just keep the wedge back into the bag after a round of golf and never really bring it out to give propoer maintenance...bad me..

had to kick this bad habit and really maintenance the club well, especially the wedge now that it will turn rust easily...

will buy some fine sand paper, WD40 and silicon spray to keep at home, in case i really need it...

thank you

snowman
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:50 pm

Just go easy on the sand paper. Very little effort req to remove the rust. Steel wool also helps.

I had 1 fourteen wedge that I din touch for a couple of years and it was filled w rust when I took it out. I just removed it all under 10min.

Also, its not as high maintenance as u think. Just have a habit to clean or wipe off ur club after every shot, particularly the grooves. Then, wipe dry and u r set.

After the round, just bring ur clubs home and make sure to open up the bag so that moisture does not get trapped inside the bag.

Rust sucks when ur bag has some white to it and it also dirties whatever it touches too.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm

hi bro

yes..totally agree and i really hate to hold a rusty club..just the look itself can kill..

btw, how do you clean the groove ? using brushes ? will it hurt the club face like making more scraches onto the face ?

basically, i just wanted to keep all my clubs away from rust...keke

snowman
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:56 pm

Snowman,

I just read that u have a black VR wedge. Might wanna try the coke method 1st as the black finish might come off if u use the sand paper method.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:57 pm

I use those hard bristle brushes. Easy.

U can use an old toothbrush. Works the same.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:01 pm

hi bro rex

ok ok, will try the coke method on the wedge.....sounds fun to me...haha !!

hard bristle brushes...guess i will need to go look around again for brushes...

cant wait to give my clubs a good wash and clean up...keke

thanks bro

snowman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

vokey wedges rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: vokey wedges rust   vokey wedges rust I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

vokey wedges rust
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next