Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

steel shaft for Hybrids????

Go down 
+7
Derek
kyleyann
Birdman
pocketace
sob
Technospaz
morganoh
11 posters
AuthorMessage
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

steel shaft for Hybrids???? Empty
PostSubject: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Im currently using Callaway X-forged irons with Project X 5.5

Im looking to buy hybrids with Steel shaft.
The cobra hybrids that im buying comes with 
NSPro Stiff and Regular.

Can anyone who can advice. Should I buy Nspro Stiff or Reg?
Cos my Xforged ProjectX5.5 is firm.
And I afraid Nspro stiff will be stiffer than PX5.5
And Nspro reg is softer than PX5.5

Pls advice me

Thank u very much
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 4:14 pm

I thought the Crossfires were pretty good steel shafts for hybrids.
Back to top Go down
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Im buying the cobra hybrid with nspro from golf direct. So not fitting other steel shaft.

Any advice? Stiff or reg?
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Bro, had the cobra hybrid with nspro r shaft.
Very difficult to launch, had to change out to a graphite shaft.
Feels much better now.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 4:44 pm

I think you can go for stiff in NS pro if you can already manage Px 5.5

That's just my personal opinion

Reason being, I find PX playing much stiffer to flex already. So yes in theory 5.0 - regular, 5.5 - firm, 6.0 - stiff; but in reality, for me, 5.0- firm, 5.5 - stiff... And so on.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 4:55 pm

Hey Morgan, I haven't tried out the PX 5.5 shafts, but I'm on the X-Forged 2013 edition that came with PXI 5.5 shafts for the US specs.

When I trialed the irons side by side with the Jap specs that came with the NS Pro 950 regular shafts, the PXIs launched lower, felt stiffer, and took a little more work. I eventually got the PXI 5.5 shafts but discovered I couldn't handle them over 18 holes and swapped them out for PX Flighted 95s 5.0 which in my opinion play with a similarly higher flight to the NS Pro 950s, but with some marked differences that I preferred. I also found the NS Pros tended to tail off at the end of its flight to the left for me, whereas the PX Flighted 95s held its flight line right till the end to be more accurate.  

Not sure how much that helps, perhaps others who have had a more direct comparison can weigh in more.

But I'm with Pocketace on this, think he's pretty much got it spot on.
Back to top Go down
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Yes I love the Px5.5 for a straight flight.

Currently im playing cleveland mashi hybrid stiff shaft but all my fall will turn to the left at the end of flight (im right hander)

So do u think NSPro shaft will product a right to left ball flight regardless of stiff or reg shafts?
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 6:58 pm

I would think if you want to use a hybrid, you are looking to replace your long irons with something easier to launch. So wouldn't be easier to use a graphite shaft for your hybrid instead of using a steel shaft?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 7:35 pm

morganoh wrote:
Yes I love the Px5.5 for a straight flight.

Currently im playing cleveland mashi hybrid stiff shaft but all my fall will turn to the left at the end of flight (im right hander)

So do u think NSPro shaft will product a right to left ball flight regardless of stiff or reg shafts?
I'm really in no position to say where you are concerned. Best if you can get your hands on one to try out for yourself. It may not be entirely shaft dependent, the head may also play a part.

But my conclusion was that perhaps the NS Pro is a little more tip active than the PX 95 which I feel swings with a more even flex throughout the shaft, that is, more one piece. And that could account for the tail off at the end of the ball flight for the former.

Seems like NS Pros are a love hate kind of thing. There are those that love it for its ease of use and high launch, and there are those that think it's rubbish because of the wide dispersion results (probably cos of a fast tempo and swing).

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 7:51 pm

kyleyann wrote:
I would think if you want to use a hybrid, you are looking to replace your long irons with something easier to launch. So wouldn't be easier to use a graphite shaft for your hybrid instead of using a steel shaft?
That logic while sound, is not absolute Kyle.

My swing speed is below 90mph in the slow zone. Logic dictates I should go graphite, and I do, from driver down to hybrids, all stock shafts by the way. I'm lucky that I'm one of those with a player profile that fits to a stock shaft.

But where irons are concerned, I only recently discovered that a heavier steel shaft at 101 grams, worked much better for my swing than an 82 gram graphite one. Steel has made my swing more consistent than graphite, for irons at least. Very Happy

A well know fitter once said "swing the heaviest shaft you can handle comfortably," I thought otherwise. Lighter should mean faster, which should translate to longer right? But now I understand.

It all boils down to finding the right match for each individual. For most, it may be graphite, for others, perhaps steel is the better choice.
Back to top Go down
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 8:12 pm

kyleyann wrote:
My ball all fly very high. Even with a low launch shaft my ball will still fly high.

My only concern now is ball getting right or left at the last part of the flight.
My cleveland mashi 59gram stiff shaft product a right to left at the endding of ball flight.
My PX5.5 gave me a straight flight.

Now just wondering if should get stiff or reg NSpro shaft for hybrid.

Does it means that if a shaft is too soft for my swing speed. The ball will got right?
If yes. That means that I should get a stiffer shaft?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi Morgan,

For my irons shafts, I am on SteelFibre i95S.  For my 25Deg Cobra Hybrid, I use NS950 R.  On my 22Deg hybrid, I use SteelFibre i70R.

My personal theory is that as the loft gets less, I could use a bit more help with flex.

I don't know if that setup produces the optimum results, but in my mind, as long as it makes sense, I can focus on making a good swing and playing good golf ...

Only advise is to find someone with that club and try it ...

I will be at Toa Payoh Range tomorrow night (8pm onwards) if you are interested ... look out for the almost bald guy using a (Ladies) White and Purple OGIO golf bag ...

p.s. It was cheap lah ....
Back to top Go down
Stanix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Stanix

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 am

Hi derek,

Seekin ur advices pls....

Am using a cobra hybrid 4H wif nspro R...
Since i hav spare i80 R lying ard for 4i,
Will it be beta to fix it in...

My irons r using i80 R....

Tks dude....
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi Stanix,

I am not a qualified club fitter, so can only share my personal experiences and views.

In general, before I decide to do anything to a club (or replace a club), my first criteria is always to consider if I like how it performs currently.  If I am hitting it nicely and it goes where I want, I will not change it.

So, I am assuming that you don't really like how it works now with with NSP.  For me personally, I like my hybrid shafts to feel more like my iron shafts, which is why I switched from super light hybrid shafts to shafts that were more similar to my irons.  Mainly from a weight and balance perspective while swinging.

Assuming that your cobra is a NSP950, sticking the i80R in should help your hybrid feel a bit more like your irons.  Since you already have the shaft, no harm putting it in and trying it out.  After all, no one can predict how you will like how it feels in your hands.

Have fun!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 4:07 pm

I think Bro Slinger mentioned before in another context, something to this effect:

Try once, regret once
Don't try, regret forever!!!!

Bro, since you already have the steelfiber shaft lying around, it's a sunk cost, might as well install it and try? You never know until you tried...
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 5:42 pm

MTL!!!!

Got a kaki who fixed SF shaft into his 4 hybrid!
He has never looked back since.

Wait, actually he did.
He went and got SF shafts for his irons.
Back to top Go down
Stanix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Stanix

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Haha... tks for the advices, folks...

Will NT let the 3&4 SF go lying ard, wasted... hehe
Wink
Back to top Go down
albus dumbledore
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
albus dumbledore

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Stanix wrote:
Haha... tks for the advices, folks...

Will NT let the 3&4 SF go lying ard, wasted... hehe
Wink
Stanix 哥哥,

u going to FESC for bodykit change later?
Back to top Go down
Stanix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Stanix

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Eagle shen, me went to BFG... hehe

Tks eric for tradin in my 3&4 sf for i70 on the cobra 3h...
Wink.... 

Cant wait to test it.. woof
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 8:41 pm

morganoh wrote:
kyleyann wrote:
My ball all fly very high. Even with a low launch shaft my ball will still fly high.

My only concern now is ball getting right or left at the last part of the flight.
My cleveland mashi 59gram stiff shaft product a right to left at the endding of ball flight.
My PX5.5 gave me a straight flight.

Now just wondering if should get stiff or reg NSpro shaft for hybrid.

Does it means that if a shaft is too soft for my swing speed. The ball will got right?
If yes. That means that I should get a stiffer shaft?
bro, i have an old TP rescue 09 fitted with a KBS Tour X shaft if you want to see how a steel shaft in hybrid feels. If you're hitting it high this will probably solve your problem haha. Let me know in advance so i can bring it along to MBGC if you happen to be there one day. 

Only problem i have experience is it really messes up the swing weight. At standard length for a 3h it is at D8 swingweight! Other than that it feels the same as with the graphite shaft it used to have.
Back to top Go down
albus dumbledore
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
albus dumbledore

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 11:18 am

Stanix wrote:
Eagle shen, me went to BFG... hehe

Tks eric for tradin in my 3&4 sf for i70 on the cobra 3h...
Wink.... 

Cant wait to test it.. woof
wah! New weapon! Cobra Smiley
Back to top Go down
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks for all the help and advice.

I will serious think about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: steel shaft for Hybrids????   steel shaft for Hybrids???? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

steel shaft for Hybrids????
Page 1 of 1