Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Irons for Newbies

Go down 
+6
Solutions
Technospaz
kamen
bogeyman72
enwee
FVTPL
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 8:53 am

hi folks

considering that GSS is here already, and I just started golf lessons, i am looking to get a set of irons that are forgiving and easy for newbies like me.

any recommendation?

i know of the mizuno jpx 800, taylormade burner 2.0.

are these really suitable for beginners? or there are more suitable irons?

thank you!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 9:02 am

It depends on what your budget is. I would suggest get a 2nd hand set.
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 9:04 am

enwee wrote:

hi enwee

where can i get a second hand set? and what should i be looking out for?

also, what brands of 2nd hand?

sorry for blasting so many questions..
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 9:17 am

FVTPL wrote:
enwee wrote:

hi enwee

where can i get a second hand set? and what should i be looking out for?

also, what brands of 2nd hand?

sorry for blasting so many questions..
Best place is fesc or creative joe, also the mktplace here got several good sets as well. Brand wise, it's not so important.
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 9:18 am

if you budget about sgd400/-, u can get very decent used irons at the marketplace in this forum

alternatively u might wanna check with nrafee on whats available at his end, can do charity at same time

good luck!
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 9:36 am

ya.. probably the budget is around there.. 400 to 500..

Far east shopping center.. i know there is a big golf shop there. do i need to look for anyone in particular?

also, how do i contact nrafee? sorry for the noob questions..
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 9:44 am

FVTPL wrote:
ya.. probably the budget is around there.. 400 to 500..

Far east shopping center.. i know there is a big golf shop there. do i need to look for anyone in particular?

also, how do i contact nrafee? sorry for the noob questions..
Nrafee? There's a 2nd chance project link. There are 2 shops, in fesc selling 2nd hand clubs.
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 10:15 am

enwee wrote:

Nrafee? There's a 2nd chance project link. There are 2 shops, in fesc selling 2nd hand clubs.

i see the link now.. thanks!

any particular shop you would recommend in fesc? or both are equally safe to buy from?
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 10:16 am

FVTPL, if I were you I'd check with bro nrafee 1st --> http://www.golfrepublic.org/t12501-golf-republic-s-project-2nd-chance-ikasu-iron-set-280
Good luck with your search and game, I miss the days of club hunting. Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 10:33 am

That ikasu set is not ideal for beginners, IMHO.

Anyway, I think you should consider the Adams CB3s. I'm using these irons now and they are awesome! Really forgiving and they're forged too Smile

Alternatively, you should also check out the Big Fish irons (CB-003s). Really forgiving irons too and DGman will check your swing out etc and recommend appropriate shafts. So, the set is customized and built for you! (But if you're still learning and your swing isn't consistent, getting a customized set may not be ideal because of the variances in your swing.)
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 10:42 am

Oops! Good morning Advisor, was just trying to point to the project 2nd chance link, not the ikasu specifically. Paiseh... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
Solutions
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Solutions

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 10:45 am

Am also a beginner and using the TM Burner 2.0. No regrets getting this set after reading through reviews online. Cheers
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 10:50 am

Technospaz wrote:

Anyway, I think you should consider the Adams CB3s. I'm using these irons now and they are awesome! Really forgiving and they're forged too Smile

Alternatively, you should also check out the Big Fish irons (CB-003s). Really forgiving irons too and DGman will check your swing out etc and recommend appropriate shafts. So, the set is customized and built for you! (But if you're still learning and your swing isn't consistent, getting a customized set may not be ideal because of the variances in your swing.)

dont think will be going down to DGman.. Need to brush up and make my swing more consistent before paying him a visit.. and also to start saving money.. Sad

i was recommended mizunos.. so wondering how is the feedback and how friendly is it for beginners like me?
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 10:52 am

Solutions wrote:
Am also a beginner and using the TM Burner 2.0. No regrets getting this set after reading through reviews online. Cheers

ya.. i saw this as well.. considering that it is on sale at golfdirect..

wondering if it is a good buy..

http://singapore-promotions.com/sports/golf-direct-great-singapore-sale-offers-31-may-13-jun-2013-68393/attachment/golf-direct-31-may-2013/
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:14 am

i would suggest u buy used from fellow forummers & meet them at their range session to try before buying

buying clubs without trying is waste of monies & time

JMHO
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:38 am

FVTPL wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

dont think will be going down to DGman.. Need to brush up and make my swing more consistent before paying him a visit.. and also to start saving money.. Sad

i was recommended mizunos.. so wondering how is the feedback and how friendly is it for beginners like me?

The JPX 825 (not the Pros) is supposed to be quite forgiving. It's a cast iron set and designed to be a game improvement set. If you're looking for a Mizuno set which gives you forgiveness and the buttery forged feeling, try to find the old Mizuno MX-200s. One of their highly rated irons and quite prized by those who've owned them. I had a brand new set which I sold away some time ago... still wishing I didn't Razz
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:41 am

Actually GD sales got several sets new, good for beginners.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t23680-golf-direct-gss-specials-31-may-13-june-2013
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:00 pm

enwee wrote:

Oh yes, GD has got pretty good sets right now! Best to go explore Smile
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:40 pm

enwee wrote:

any recommendation?

I saw the burner 2.0.. supposedly more forgiving.. and the price is also quite attractive.. Cool
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:41 pm

FVTPL wrote:
enwee wrote:

any recommendation?

I saw the burner 2.0.. supposedly more forgiving.. and the price is also quite attractive.. Cool
Most of the ok...including the callaway razr.
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:42 pm

once you touch forged
you nvr wanna touch cast again..... JMHO
Back to top Go down
Tokkokking
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:45 pm

Technospaz wrote:
FVTPL wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

The JPX 825 (not the Pros) is supposed to be quite forgiving. It's a cast iron set and designed to be a game improvement set. If you're looking for a Mizuno set which gives you forgiveness and the buttery forged feeling, try to find the old Mizuno MX-200s. One of their highly rated irons and quite prized by those who've owned them. I had a brand new set which I sold away some time ago... still wishing I didn't Razz

I hv a set of mx200 and loving it. I have stopped buying iron sets since.

Not sure if I will sell it but if you like to try, we can always arrange.

I have an Adams v3Hybrid iron set on graphite shafts, v forgiving also.
If you want to try the older burner set, I have also.

PM me if you want to try.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:49 pm

enwee wrote:
FVTPL wrote:
enwee wrote:

any recommendation?

Most of the ok...including the callaway razr.

I can consider pretty forgiving n easy as base on my past experience w it much earlier! Very Happy
Was learng w it fr at least fr 2 yrs b4 a big switch to Titleist. Wink
Razr X NL & NG as gd in term of forgiving bt price cant match Burner 2.0 Basketball
Anyway, u ve to decide between gd conditn pre-owned clubs both game & player improvement clubs or brand new bt beginner clubs
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:59 pm

hkhamateur wrote:

I can consider pretty forgiving n easy as base on my past experience w it much earlier! Very Happy
Was learng w it fr at least fr 2 yrs b4 a big switch to Titleist. Wink
Razr X NL & NG as gd in term of forgiving bt price cant match Burner 2.0 Basketball
Anyway, u ve to decide between gd conditn pre-owned clubs both game & player improvement clubs or brand new bt beginner clubs

i would prefer to get something that can last me for a couple of years while i hone up my swing and skills.. so if the condition and price is right, i dun mind getting pre-owned as well.

i guess it all boils down to what suits me.. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 1:01 pm

Tokkokking wrote:

I hv a set of mx200 and loving it. I have stopped buying iron sets since.

Not sure if I will sell it but if you like to try, we can always arrange.

I have an Adams v3Hybrid iron set on graphite shafts, v forgiving also.
If you want to try the older burner set, I have also.

PM me if you want to try.

hey tokko.. thanks for the offer.

dun wan to trouble you too much. moreover, i just picked up golf again.. after stopping for almost 10 years.

abit paiseh to hit balls in front of ppl.. Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Irons for Newbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irons for Newbies   Irons for Newbies I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Irons for Newbies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next