Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf fitting for newbies

Go down 
+2
hiryu
Renixus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Renixus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf fitting for newbies Empty
PostSubject: Golf fitting for newbies   Golf fitting for newbies I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi All,

I've got some questions on how golf fitting works. I'm a newcomer to golf and been playing with a second hand set for the last 2-3 months. Now I know I'm committed to the game and feel like investing in getting better fitted clubs.

My questions are as follows:-

1) Do we buy the clubs and go to a club fitter for them to adjust?
2) Can the fitter adjust our second hand clubs? I've got a relatively new driver and hybrid that I quite like and will like to keep using if possible.
3) As my swing is still very beginner level, will that be a problem for the club fitter to fit the clubs for me?

Sorry for the newbish questions and thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
hiryu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf fitting for newbies   Golf fitting for newbies I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Having gone through all these, here are my comments.

In Singapore, most of the fitters are affiliated with certain brands. I.e Torque with Miura, TPY Spencer with Cobra etc. We do not really have a brand agnostic fitter unlike in the States. Examples are http://www.nygolfcenter.com/ and http://coolclubs.com/

If you already have clubs, then by all means you can go to them for adjusting lie angle, shaft length etc.

Personally if you're really interested in golf and are willing to invest in it, the best place would be to see a good coach (preferably one with a launch monitor) and then once your swing is consistent enough, go for a good fitting. My understanding is, if you fit according to your current newbie swing now, when your swing changes etc your upside or ceiling might be limited.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Golf fitting for newbies   Golf fitting for newbies I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi Renixus,

I would recommend that you go to Big Fish Golf at Bukit Merah for the simple fact that it has been proven multiple times they will give you a straight answer, even if it is not the one you want to hear.

Several of us (myself included) have headed into BFG prepared to part with money for new stuff only to be told that club fitting at this stage would not be completely beneficial and that the clubs we had then were good enough for us to improve to a point whereby fitting could be more optimal.  There was no charge even though I (in my case) used the simulator there for at least 30mins.

In some cases, the existing equipment might be so mismatched to you (imagine us using a right handed version of Bubba Watson's driver) that it requires an immediate change.  Even then, I would assume you would rather get a recommendation from someone who is professional trained at assessing this than someone who plays for fun.

Please note, many golf professionals are also trained in the fundamentals of club fitting and can help evaluate if your current equipment is suitable for you at your stage in the game.  If you are already taking lessons, ask your coach.  If not, perhaps getting one might be a good idea now that you intend to commit a bit more time to the game.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Golf fitting for newbies   Golf fitting for newbies I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 5:20 am

Takw advantage of BFG's current offer of free equipment evaluation.  Look up the following thread:

Complimentary Equipment Validation using Trackman IIIe

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t28614p30-complimentary-equipment-validation-using-trackman-iiie#439844
Back to top Go down
Renixus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf fitting for newbies   Golf fitting for newbies I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Thanks all for the advices. 

Will make an appointment at BFG and go down to see what can be done with my clubs.

Cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
Atiqidris
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Atiqidris

PostSubject: Re: Golf fitting for newbies   Golf fitting for newbies I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi there Renixus,

Firstly on behalf of BFG, many thanks to everyone for your support Smile

To answer your questions Renixus:-

1) If you have purchased a set of clubs, a club fitter can see whether it is original or not as imitation golf clubs may not be well balanced in terms of total weight or swing weight. So bring the set you have and we can screen whether it will work well for you.

2) Yes second hand clubs can be adjusted provided they are forged, cast irons may crack if too much force being put in while bending. If you like your current club head you may use it as long as condition is good. However making sure that you have the right shaft is important. If the shaft is long you may develop unwanted habits as compared to having a natural swing. Lets say your swing speed is only 65mph you may need a Regular shaft and if you have a swing speed of about 90mph we need to get you a stiffer shaft.

3) If your swing is really not ready to be fitted we will also advise you what you can work on and perhaps you can see a local PGA Professional and get the swing in shape. Beginners need to use clubs that is as suited as possible to their basic swing and their clubs are configured consistently through the set. Doing so will benefit beginners to advanced players develop better swing dynamics because you will not be fighting the club or make sub-conscious adjustments for each club as you learn the fundamentals. Once you are fitted you are well on your way to a rapid improvement rather than being held back using the wrong club settings which includes the loft and lie angles being compensated through each shot.

Come over lets have a chat, you may kindly make a booking at http://www.bigfishes.com/swing_analysis or contact us at the address below.

Thank you very much and have a great week to everyone Wink

Best regards,
Atiq

Big Fish Golf International Pte Ltd
Blk 1003 Bukit Merah Central #03-11
Singapore 159836

Tel: (65) 64712272
Fax: (65) 64712221
Email: golf@bigfishes.com

Opening hours: 12.00 pm to 7.00 pm
(Mondays to Saturdays)
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Golf fitting for newbies   Golf fitting for newbies I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 10:43 am

Wah. Master never reply.

Must be busy in the kitchen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf fitting for newbies   Golf fitting for newbies I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf fitting for newbies
Page 1 of 1