Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner

Go down 
+19
diveheck
Shwong2003
enwee
mengteck71
hkhamateur
HyBriD
mitatr
timang84
benedictteo83
Turbo
NikeN
kuuligan
GD
Newtogolf
AMF
devil_wq
Technospaz
shamusan
DLWL
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner Empty
PostSubject: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi guys,

I've been asked by several of the bros here with regards to the Nike VRS Covert Driver.
Just a quick background about myself. I average around 90 and the weakest part of my game is with using the driver, thus am constantly looking for forgiveness. Plays a slight fade with poor drives slicing hard.
Driving distance is around 250m with a fade.

Have used the R9 460, VR Tour 460, VRPro Limited Edition drivers.
Changed to the normal Covert instead of Covert tour as fighting a slice and the higher MOI will supposedly give a more forgiving result.

Now on to the review. (will mostly be comparing to the VRPro Limited Edition Driver)

Looks: 10/10
What can i say. Its the best looking driver i've seen yet. Contrasts well with the green back drop and white ball.
Set up nice and classic shape provides confidence hitting the ball. Paired with a Project X black 6.0 shaft and GP MC red grip. Pictures below.

Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner 20130329151230
Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner 20130329151224

Feel/Sound: 8/10
I normally associate feel with sound and this is one department the Covert falls short. Off centred hits produces a dull aluminium sound. Makes you feel as tho its going to only go 70m. On good hits, the sound is not as loud as the VRPro Limited. (VRPro sounds as if the ball flies off the face)

Distance: 9/10
No significant gains in distance. Almost the same as my VRPro Limited. But on poor shots. The ball flies further and less offline. Ball flight is Mid/Low, but that is probably due to the shaft.

Forgiveness: 10/10
Maybe not a fair guage but i bought the bigger head compared to the VRPro Limited for the forgiveness. The slices, if any, are less severe. I find it easier to keep the ball online. Definitely more forgiving as the Cavity-back promised.

Overall: 9/10
I would say that on first hit. The VRS covert is slightly disappointing, due to the sound/feel. Its not a bad feel, but i guess i am customed to the classic feel and sound. However, after bringing it to the course. The driver comes to life and really helped in keeping the drives in. Still trying to dial in the driver and hopefully the covert is the one for the ages.
(oh yeh, the red paint is not really durable. Tried hitting the stock length and as it is too long. really got poor off-centred hits and chip some paint off. didnt happen with the VRPro limited. but bought some red car paint to touch up =)

Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner 20130328235959
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 5:02 pm

wow...

maybe there is something wrong with me cos i felt that the covert was on of the most unforgiving drivers i've tried this year...

i gamed it this morning and it just felt awful...
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 5:28 pm

Same here bro.
Then i went to check the swing weight.
D4 on stock length and shaft, much too different from wad i was accustomed to.
Causing alot of mishits which resulted in the chip.

cut down to 44.75. swing weight changed to D1.
voila done the trick.

as i said. initially it was really disappointing. but after the adjustments it felt much better.
definitely not one of those sticks where you can just pick up, hit and feel good
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 5:56 pm

I tried it in the US. Stock. Stiff shaft. Found it to be pretty good. It was forgiving but not very long. Sounded a little funny which I didn't quite like. Aside from that, it was a pretty decent driver.
Back to top Go down
devil_wq
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 6:08 pm

For me, I think it's actually quite good with the 50g Kuro Kage R that came with mine. Forgiving definitely and slightly longer than my current club. But the problem is that you just don't feel the "ooomph" when you hit a good shot.
Back to top Go down
AMF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 11:54 pm

I was hitting it at the range when I happen to read this review. Boss of Vinc Golf (shop at FESC) was kind enough to lend me a Demo stick to try for 3 days, with Bassara 53x5ct R flex, Lenght 45.75" Sw D0.

At Address look very good with the Red colour, esp with the Nike logo. The paint work look and fele of high quality. Maybe cos of the flex, my ball tend to go right hand side and rather high launch. Was set at 10.5* Neutral, thus I think is not the right shaft for me.

On mishit, seem rather forgiving (I slow down my swing). So I guess the forgiveness is Good. But it is the so-call "feel" and sound that caught me off. And the ball don't seem to sound/feel "shoot" off the face. Maybe fitted suitable shaft, the distance and flight will be better.

While I was there, I was demo the Xhot(Callayway Demo day at OCC) and a G20.... I miss the Tm R1 as TM demo was also there.
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Any comparison to the SQ Machspeed in general?
Back to top Go down
GD
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
GD

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 1:38 pm

I've never been able to use ANY nike clubs, fitted or not ... i must be very dumb ... say, DLWL are you a swinger or a hitter? maybe it affects one way or another?
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Hmmm dats a good question. Im not sure too. Likely a hitter?

Dun have any problems with clubs. I think manufacturers are making good clubs all round. I even heard they come from the same factory. So I dun see how different they cn be.

Perhaps total weight n swing weight maybe the factors that causes the feel problem
Back to top Go down
kuuligan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 5:50 pm

how is a 90 avg considered a beginner? lol Shocked Very Happy

I've tried both the Covert and Covert tour. The Tour version felt wierd to me and was not kind on impact if mis-hit.

The Covert regular on JSEPC S shaft was sweet for my swing; I am a hitter. Impact sound and feel was one of my best!
Back to top Go down
GD
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
GD

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 1:08 pm

I Offer my Salute to those who can use NIKE clubs White Flag
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 1:46 pm

GD wrote:

Why so? scratch
Nike club really so hard to launch the ball? Or just the brand/look not to your liking? Razz
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 2:08 pm

GD wrote:

Whats wrong with Nike clubs? Nike Golf
Back to top Go down
benedictteo83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
benedictteo83

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 2:11 pm

i heard from my friend saying nike and titlist clubs are harder to use but nv try it myself before except titlist wedge i had which i seldom use. wanne try using them 1 of these days.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 2:18 pm

benedictteo83 wrote:
i heard from my friend saying nike and titlist clubs are harder to use but nv try it myself before except titlist wedge i had which i seldom use. wanne try using them 1 of these days.

I guess it is all mental thingey ... Many years ago, yes, it is true that Titleist clubs are designed for players only. I would say that is a thing of the past now ... Not anymore due to the obvious ... They have models & shafts to cater for the masses ... Nike clubs are always user-friendly since day one except the Bladed irons ... Nike Golf Titleist
Back to top Go down
benedictteo83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
benedictteo83

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 2:40 pm

thx bro gonna test those irons soon, nike clubs looks nice with the logo "tick"
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 12:34 am

Guess whose driver is this? No prize for guessing the answer correctly ... Nike Golf

Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner Eqsl06-daly-driver
Back to top Go down
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 7:41 am

john daly?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 11:57 am

timang84 wrote:
john daly?

Absolutely right, bro! Prize is, you can dowload this pic for keepsake ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
mitatr
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mitatr

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Turbo wrote:
Guess whose driver is this? No prize for guessing the answer correctly ... Nike Golf

Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner Eqsl06-daly-driver

I have his irons , as shown in the pic, as my first blade set. Loved the soft feel of these forged irons. Now upgraded to vr pro2 blades but not as soft though. Nike only produce good blades, rest of their models cmi.
Waiting to try the covert soon.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Haven't hit this driver yet.

But I saw TW & RMac hitting them that produced a great sound impact.

Altho, blog site MyGolfSpy came out with their own "Test" and Nike didn't fare well

read this 2013 Longest Driver
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Nike Covert landed only at this
2013 Most Accurate Driver List
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 pm

mitatr wrote:

I have his irons , as shown in the pic, as my first blade set. Loved the soft feel of these forged irons. Now upgraded to vr pro2 blades but not as soft though. Nike only produce good blades, rest of their models cmi.

The current VRII PRO Blade is forged by EPON in Thailand ... I guess maybe the first set of Nike Blades (the one shown above) were forged in Japan ... Maybe designed by Miura as well ... Many years ago, the Titleist bladed irons once used by TW were designed & made by Miura ...
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 11:48 pm

Turbo wrote:
mitatr wrote:

The current VRII PRO Blade is forged by EPON in Thailand ... I guess maybe the first set of Nike Blades (the one shown above) were forged in Japan ... Maybe designed by Miura as well ... Many years ago, the Titleist bladed irons once used by TW were designed & made by Miura ...

If true, no wonder EPON & MIURA this ex hor! Wink
Every success behind must hve a story! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 9:52 pm

hkhamateur wrote:

If true, no wonder EPON & MIURA this ex hor! Wink
Every success behind must hve a story! Very Happy

The Nike VRII Pro CB & MB combo irons also forged by EPON in Thailand ... Nike Golf
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner   Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nike VRS Covert Review by a Beginner
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next