Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?

Go down 
+5
simoner
audi
nrafee
DGman
Turbo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Hello all,

Anybody know where to repair/recondition a hairline chipped off on my #8i clubhead face? Please refer to picture below for detail -

Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? NikeVRIIProCombo8i-Chippedoff_zpsac776912

Thanks a bunch in advance for any advice you can provide.

Nike Golf
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 10:39 pm

not worth it to repair.....best thing is to ask Nike Singapore if they can order one for you.

to repair this, you need to take out chrome, weld affected area, send for re-mill of grooves, then rechrome...... too much to work and easier to replace.

hope it helps......
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 10:48 pm

DGman wrote:
not worth it to repair.....best thing is to ask Nike Singapore if they can order one for you.

to repair this, you need to take out chrome, weld affected area, send for re-mill of grooves, then rechrome...... too much to work and easier to replace.

hope it helps......

Looks like a very small chip to me.. will it affect playability much?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 pm

nrafee wrote:
DGman wrote:

hope it helps......

No, it does not so far ... Since DGman said that it is not cost effective to recondition it, I might get the head or the whole club from Nike ...
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Turbo wrote:
nrafee wrote:
DGman wrote:

hope it helps......

No, it does not so far ... Since DGman said that it is not cost effective to recondition it, I might get the head or the whole club from Nike ...

think of it as battle scars. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:25 pm

nrafee wrote:

think of it as battle scars. Very Happy

I myself don't even know how this scar was acquired ... Prolly a tiny pebble sticked on the ball ... the clubface smashed the pebble on impact ... I don't think it is caused by clubs knocking against each other as I used headcovers on these irons ... scratch
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 5:39 am

i dont think small pebble can make a scar like this. when u hit a small pebble, most probably the pebble will break, not scar your club
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 7:36 am

audi wrote:
i dont think small pebble can make a scar like this. when u hit a small pebble, most probably the pebble will break, not scar your club

It does.

It happened to my Cally X-14 many years ago while playing at Austin Hills. Pan West repaired it but felt very different. Ended up ordering a new club.
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:10 am

Oh no! My fren gaming Titleist 591, and have a ding on the sole of the PW. If he wants to replace that single pcs, he has to pay the cost of the entire set, provided it can be found. SIGHS!
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:19 am

think economically its not worth to repair. either u live with it, order a new piece of iron or buy a new set.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:31 am

IGT wrote:
Oh no! My fren gaming Titleist 591, and have a ding on the sole of the PW. If he wants to replace that single pcs, he has to pay the cost of the entire set, provided it can be found. SIGHS!

Not true, some online retailer like Golfsmith sells single club at a reasonable price. But my set is a Japanese spec and hence, I may have to source it locally ...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 am

simoner wrote:
audi wrote:

It does.

It happened to my Cally X-14 many years ago while playing at Austin Hills. Pan West repaired it but felt very different. Ended up ordering a new club.

X-14 is a cast iron and my Nike VRII is a forged iron. Hence, the latter which is softer is even more prone to this kinda crack ...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:47 am

I may use that as an excuse to buy new irons... but I'm a golf slut.
Back to top Go down
madmaru
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
madmaru

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 11:13 am

Dun repair.... go and get a new piece instead here's the reason y

in material stand point regardless of cast or forged club . to fill up the hole obvious choice spot wield the affected area which added alot of heat . steel when added heat will add carbon to the steel making it harder and more brittle --- this will changes the feel of the club or may even cause it to break on hard swing .

from the pic i see the dent area is right on 1 of the grooves .... re-milling back the grooves to original state is tough there is only a couple of guys in sg able to do it and they dun come cheap

this is my 2 cents on the issue
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks for your advice, madmaru ... Saw the latest Cobra AMP forged irons in KBS Tour shaft very irresistible ... Also saw the latest Mizuno JPX Series irons available in four types of shafts ... Very irresistible as well ... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Turbo wrote:
IGT wrote:

Not true, some online retailer like Golfsmith sells single club at a reasonable price. But my set is a Japanese spec and hence, I may have to source it locally ...

Yea...but 591 is a very rare model, if not mistaken it was a Japan run limited edition, forged by Miura; during the time frame when TW was with Titleist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?   Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anybody know where to repair chipped off on iron clubhead face?
Page 1 of 1