Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

forged iron repair

Go down 
+4
Khorkar
enwee
jeffman88
danielleecm
8 posters
AuthorMessage
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 10:02 am

Hi anyone know of where I can repair my forged irons. Got some dinks and crack lines due to hitting stones....thanks
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 10:09 am

bro prob w dings, scratches n stuff, its too small job for any metal machinist to wanna do for u .. best is DIY... my recommendation go to hardware shop, grab some wet and dry sandpaper, start with say the rougher grades eg100 r 200 depending how bad the dings r, wet the paper under a tap and start rubbing the spot.. then go up to 400, 600, 800 then, 1000 . can finish off w autosol paste...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 10:11 am

jeffman88 wrote:
bro prob w dings, scratches n stuff, its too small job for any metal machinist to wanna do for u .. best is DIY... my recommendation go to hardware shop, grab some wet and dry sandpaper, start with say the rougher grades eg100 r 200 depending how bad the dings r, wet the paper under a tap and start rubbing the spot.. then go up to 400, 600, 800 then, 1000 . can finish off w autosol paste...
Well u can do your owned repair, but it's come back after a few round of golf. That's the price for forged clubs.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 11:04 am

Cracked lines? What were you hitting?
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 12:33 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
bro prob w dings, scratches n stuff, its too small job for any metal machinist to wanna do for u .. best is DIY... my recommendation go to hardware shop, grab some wet and dry sandpaper, start with say the rougher grades eg100 r 200 depending how bad the dings r, wet the paper under a tap and start rubbing the spot.. then go up to 400, 600, 800  then, 1000 . can finish off w autosol paste...

hi bro jeff, did you try it yourselves or any one here tried tat before?
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 2:18 pm

@danielleecm yupz have done so myself.. also used it on my putter every now and again (which is made of brass) to keep it looking like brandnew... can also work on cast iron clubs... just some patience is needed..
dun be tempted using automatic grinder as it will take off too much of the material too fast.. can always use buffing machine for final polish/ paste if u hv access to one
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 2:22 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
@danielleecm yupz have done so myself.. also used it on my putter every now and again (which is made of brass) to keep it looking like brandnew... can also work on cast iron clubs... just some patience is needed..
dun be tempted using automatic grinder as it will take off too much of the material too fast.. can always use buffing machine for final polish/ paste if u hv access to one

hi bro, i though after using sand paper, your forged iron will be quite rough and how you polish it to shine?
Back to top Go down
Phosphorence
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Thats the part where u use autosol to polish it. It'll really sparkle with sufficient effort.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 11:27 pm

danielleecm wrote:
jeffman88 wrote:

hi bro, i though after using sand paper, your forged iron will be quite rough and how you polish it to shine?
forged iron repair Sandpaper_zpsf7bdcb54

The sandpaper I am referring to is usually known in the hardware shops as WET & DRY SANDPAPER...It allows the use of it with water, which would serve as a lubricant to carry away particles that would otherwise clog the grit.This kind of sandpaper is usually associated w automotive paint refinishing..

There are several grades of coarseness or smoothness .. I suggest u start with coarser grades like 200 then change to 400 then to 800 then to 1000 (the bigger the no, the smoother the sandpaper and the shinier the finish) ... then perhaps 1500 then 2000... 2000 sandpaper will give u a very shiny finish already.. but to achieve an ultimate shiny look, finish off by applying a paste like autosol (for steel) and brasso (for brass) and rub with a towel to a high shine if required...

How shiny a metal becomes is directly proportional to how finely polished the metal surface is finished... Usually metals are brought to this level of smoothness say 2000 before going for that final electroplating finish process like CHROMING or PVD...
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 11:56 am

good info. Many thanks. I will buy some for my forged irons. got a blardy big ding which is an eyesore after hitting a tree branch Shocked
Back to top Go down
kix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kix

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Great info jeffman88, learn something new today, tks!
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 5:59 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
danielleecm wrote:
jeffman88 wrote:

forged iron repair Sandpaper_zpsf7bdcb54

The sandpaper I am referring to is usually known in the hardware shops as WET & DRY SANDPAPER...It allows the use of it with water, which would serve as a lubricant to carry away particles that would otherwise clog the grit.This kind of sandpaper is usually associated w automotive paint refinishing..

There are several grades of coarseness or smoothness .. I suggest u start with coarser grades like 200 then change to 400 then to 800 then to 1000 (the bigger the no, the smoother the sandpaper and the shinier the finish) ... then perhaps 1500 then 2000... 2000 sandpaper will give u a very shiny finish already.. but to achieve an ultimate shiny look, finish off by applying a paste like autosol (for steel) and brasso (for brass) and rub with a towel to a high shine if required...

How shiny a metal becomes is directly proportional to how finely polished the metal surface is finished... Usually metals are brought to this level of smoothness say 2000 before going for that final electroplating finish process like CHROMING or PVD...
bro, thanks for the info and will go try it out.
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 9:29 pm

Great info Jeff... Will try out on my forged irons....thanks
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 10:14 am

BigblackGoof wrote:
Great info Jeff... Will try out on my forged irons....thanks

hi bro can show picture of before and after after you have tried it out.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

forged iron repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: forged iron repair   forged iron repair I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

forged iron repair
Page 1 of 1