Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead

Go down 
+18
watermyforrest
shorthitter
jeffman88
mizzy
nojackdontdoit
bkll
Khorkar
ngjw89
Lee36328
Slicer51
Turbo
duffader
pushslice
Ssquirrel
TourSwing
shawnt
dmateo
Derek
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead Empty
PostSubject: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 8:16 am

I was hoping if someone could clarify what is the difference between flipping the wrist through impact and a proper release of the clubhead through impact.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 8:33 am

left hand powered and right hand powered?
Back to top Go down
shawnt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 9:17 am

flipping the wrists is typically an attempt to consciously get the ball airborne. To correct this, the hands must lag behind the hip and waist. i.e. hips and waist start the downswing, and the hands follow.

Best way to visualise is to check out the full swing analysis found in golf mags, at impact you will see how advanced the lower body rotation is at impact.

hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 12:34 pm

For clarity, the difference may be isolated to the position of the left wrist at impact: flat/ bowed vs bent

A flipper has a left wrist bent fwd, and is therefore adding loft to the club in order get the ball airborne ... additionally the club has outraced the hands
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Interesting ... from Tourswing's explanation ... does that mean that someone guiltly of flipping his wrist is someone who is releasing the club too early?

Cos if you release the clubhead, the natural momentum of the club will cause your left wrist to cup on the follow through ...
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Derek wrote:
Interesting ... from Tourswing's explanation ... does that mean that someone guiltly of flipping his wrist is someone who is releasing the club too early?

Cos if you release the clubhead, the natural momentum of the club will cause your left wrist to cup on the follow through ...
Why would the momentum of the club cause the left wrist to cup on the follow through?
Can't the wrist remain flat/bowed on the follow through and the momentum merely promotes a rotation of the forearms/wrist? The left wrist can merely perform a cocking/uncocking action followed by a rotation while remaining flat no?

Hahaha... I don't think about all these things when I swing the golf club la... albino
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Derek wrote:

Why would the momentum of the club cause the left wrist to cup on the follow through?
Can't the wrist remain flat/bowed on the follow through and the momentum merely promotes a rotation of the forearms/wrist? The left wrist can merely perform a cocking/uncocking action followed by a rotation while remaining flat no?

Hahaha... I don't think about all these things when I swing the golf club la... albino

GM, i simulate a swing/release after reading your post and yeah, the left wrist doesnt cup aven after impact, it can stay flat while it rotates counterclockwise Very Happy

If I cup then it's my LOFT lah
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 8:06 pm

Derek wrote:

Not entirely ... It is possible to keep a flat/ bowed left wrist throughout your swing! The left wrist cocks and uncocks vertically, while the right wrist only bends back ... a bent right wrist through impact , imparts max energy onto the ball ...

Could easily be demonstrated this wed eve
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 8:49 pm

hmmm ... seems my understanding of release is very flawed ... which probably explains why I slice my driver so much ...

would be glad if we can meet this weds at SSN and u guys can show me and others confused about this what a release is ...
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Look fwd to it ... am sure , collectively, we can reach an agreement on the "release" ... and sorting out your slice would be bonus Beer
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 9:47 pm

very weird about the posts here.... to the guys that think that they might be flipping... go take your irons with your left wrist and try to flip it....... and if you break your wrist... please dun look for me..... If you guys think that you might be flipping.. that simply means you are not rotating like what the Grandmaster is telling you....

Anyway..... a slo-mo of one of the nicest swing on tour...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVW8DBHWXv8
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 10:21 pm

But I prefer this swing ...

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi Derek,

Here is how you should release thru' the ball like Ernie Els ...

Last edited by Turbo on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 11:30 pm

Wow the vid on Adam Scott show clearly he was releasing yet the left wrist doesn't cup, only rotates, just like grandmaster said.

There you go Derek, dun need to wait til SSN. Great question..I also learned
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 11:41 pm

Sorry, am no pro here but just my personal opinion.

The truth is, I do not really understand about all the explanation. I am just an idiot for this type of things.

However, I understand enough that slicing is due to the swing path ( everyone saying out to in ). my name is Slicer, more of a expert on this hehehe Laughing Laughing

I have a different understanding what is a release too. However, really need to see your swing ... I do have drill to help to understand and feel how to release ... I would not be in Singapore until next month for SSN. If you have the time, I like to discuss with you on this and share my idea Laughing

Overall, a swing is a very natural reaction of your body rotation.. try not to think too much to complicate it ..
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Turbo wrote:
But I prefer this swing ...

Wow, that what I called a beautiful swing ... release through the ball and finished high .. Thx for video Turbo
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:24 am

pushslice wrote:
Wow the vid on Adam Scott show clearly he was releasing yet the left wrist doesn't cup, only rotates, just like grandmaster said.

There you go Derek, dun need to wait til SSN. Great question..I also learned

Interesting ... however I think I see the left wrist cupping in the follow through in the video of the Luke Donald swing ... can anyone help to confirm that?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:31 am

yea just a bit...but that's way after impact lor, the hands already at chest/shoulder level
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 1:56 pm

agreed .... but in Adam Scott's swing video, his left wrist flat almost all the way until the club starts to fall behind him in the follow through, which is what Grandmaster SS was talking about ... something which I did not think was possible ...

do u guys think it is a physique issue or just different swings from the 2 pros?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 2:19 pm

Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 2:39 pm

natural hand extension is straight or slight bowed at wrist for me.
and if you swing your body and hand lags behind body, then the wrist should stay all the way up until the very last of the up swing post impact.

I think Vijay and Ernie is swinging this way as well a few years back. not sure right now.
Back to top Go down
ngjw89
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:13 am

Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EvvMMZCNjdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 7:39 am

Ssquirrel wrote:

Thank you grandmaster for the tips and words of clarity. On the few occasions we met, you have this shown this and yet i failed to see it. This is because I was dump founded after I saw how you hit 160m with a 7i..... Did I mention 7i.... Oh yes, I did...its a 7i

Last edited by Khorkar on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 7:43 am

ngjw89 wrote:
Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EvvMMZCNjdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 11:55 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Derek wrote:

Reviving this thread because what Ssquirrel says above is so important that others should benefit from it as well. It helped me immeasurably.

A belated thanks Grandmaster SS!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next