Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead

Go down 
+18
watermyforrest
shorthitter
jeffman88
mizzy
nojackdontdoit
bkll
Khorkar
ngjw89
Lee36328
Slicer51
Turbo
duffader
pushslice
Ssquirrel
TourSwing
shawnt
dmateo
Derek
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 12:00 am

Derek wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:
Derek wrote:
Interesting ... from Tourswing's explanation ... does that mean that someone guiltly of flipping his wrist is someone who is releasing the club too early?

Cos if you release the clubhead, the natural momentum of the club will cause your left wrist to cup on the follow through ...
Why would the momentum of the club cause the left wrist to cup on the follow through?
Can't the wrist remain flat/bowed on the follow through and the momentum merely promotes a rotation of the forearms/wrist? The left wrist can merely perform a cocking/uncocking action followed by a rotation while remaining flat no?

Hahaha... I don't think about all these things when I swing the golf club la... albino

Reviving this thread because what Ssquirrel says above is so important that others should benefit from it as well. It helped me immeasurably.

A belated thanks Grandmaster SS!

Rumor has it , your new driver is on the way !!!
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Hey Golfer's please note the wise words below from Ssquirrel, I cannot begin to emphasise how CRUCIAL they are.

Videos illustrating are found earlier in the thread

"Why would the momentum of the club cause the left wrist to cup on the follow through?
Can't the wrist remain flat/bowed on the follow through and the momentum merely promotes a rotation of the forearms/wrist? The left wrist can merely perform a cocking/uncocking action followed by a rotation while remaining flat no?"
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bkll

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Just to confuse everyone, there is pro flipping versus amateur flipping lee westwood flips apparently.see here
Back to top Go down
nojackdontdoit
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
nojackdontdoit

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:19 am

hey there.

wrist flips are tendencies for low hand set ups , strong grips , and wrong usage of body muscles to initiate the downswing.

clubhead release is a completely different case from wrist flips.

chuck cook has a good article and explanation on the 3 types of releases.

jim furyk , zach johnson are extreme examples of held off releases and john daly , bubba watson , jb holmes , are examples of clubhead release first. and then the mid which are natural finishes are the usual mcilroy , fowler , kaymer , donald.

imagine a wall behind you , those with held off releases your hand and butt of grip hits the wall first , those with square finishes have clubhead and shaft parallel to the wall , and club head releases have flipped their wrist and clubhead reaches the wall first.

hope this give you a better understanding.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:55 am

thanks jackie

I tell myself to do a held off release but after looking at some slow mo pics/vids of myself, I don't really do it, maybe more of mid release.

the sampled pro who releases club heads first are really long hitters.
Back to top Go down
nojackdontdoit
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
nojackdontdoit

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:14 pm

yeah those are insane but they have enormous amount of strength to clear their hips first hence not blocking and a full good release of the clubhead .

honestly unless you're hitting it miles , most players prefer a slight draw cause hitting baby fades lose a little bit of distance. held off releases are , in my opinion , woods and irons . not off the drivers , zach johnson really holds it off even on his drives. check out his down the line swing.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:51 pm

nojackdontdoit wrote:
hey there.

wrist flips are tendencies for low hand set ups , strong grips , and wrong usage of body muscles to initiate the downswing.

clubhead release is a completely different case from wrist flips.

chuck cook has a good article and explanation on the 3 types of releases.

jim furyk , zach johnson are extreme examples of held off releases and john daly , bubba watson , jb holmes , are examples of clubhead release first. and then the mid which are natural finishes are the usual mcilroy , fowler , kaymer , donald.

imagine a wall behind you , those with held off releases your hand and butt of grip hits the wall first , those with square finishes have clubhead and shaft parallel to the wall , and club head releases have flipped their wrist and clubhead reaches the wall first.

hope this give you a better understanding.

thanks jack. very helpful imagery there. will be good to keep in mind.
Back to top Go down
nojackdontdoit
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
nojackdontdoit

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:02 pm

welcome i do my best to help heh. still learning also.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 4:51 pm

here's a simple exercise to keep the wrist straight Razz
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
However, I understand enough that slicing is due to the swing path ( everyone saying out to in ). my name is Slicer, more of a expert on this hehehe Laughing Laughing

An out to in path does not have to cause a Slice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:59 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
However, I understand enough that slicing is due to the swing path ( everyone saying out to in ). my name is Slicer, more of a expert on this hehehe Laughing Laughing

you mean zeroing the club path?

from trackman studies on their 7th newsletter.

The three ways to achieve an on-target straight shot are:
1. Zero club path, zero face angle, center impact
2. Inside-out club path, closed face angle, heel impact
3. Outside-in club path, open face angle, toe impact

Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:00 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:

Agreed, I frequently pulled my shots with my out to in swing and worse pull hooks Sad
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:21 pm

2 different threads here in one, (not unusual haha).

Panji (and Slicer) the first thing you have to accept is that an out to in swing is not the end of the world, there are a million (maybe more) awesome golfers that have OTT paths.... (me included).

The second is there is a huge difference between a Fade and a Slice.

Just because the ball goes left to right is not a bad thing.

The hardest thing in the world is to try and change a natural swing path... (when you are a social golfer and do not have hours a day to work on it).

There are a lot of setup changes can be made to minimize extreme OTT swing paths to adjust ball flight.

The 2nd part of the thread is bent left arm.

Lee Westwood broke his arm as a child, as did Retief, they physically cannot straighten their left arms.

http://www.planetruthgolf.com/PlayerResources/Forums/tabid/77/aft/29123/Default.aspx

I normally dont post in these discussions anymore for obvious reasons but Monday night I had a student lesson...

I asked him what he wanted to work on...

He told me he needed a counseling session, he was about done with golf.... (True Story).

So I said ok talk to me.

He said" my friend says my arms are to bent and I dont look right when I swing".

I said, "ok, thats easy take your 8 iron and hit it but before you do tell me where you are aiming".

He did and the ball went where he wanted and good distance.

I showed him Jim Furyk swing, I showed him Lee Trevino and Jack Nickalaus and Bubba swings, all personal, all not "normal"all Major title winners!

Then I asked him, do you want to play golf or look like a model?

Of course Golf, so is it more important that you know where your ball is going or that you look good to your friend that by the way cannot break 100....?

He chose option 1... he played very well and he likes golf again....

Guys, constructive criticism is great but if your mates are struggling don't make it worse by just repeating last months Golf magazine tip....

I realize I will get flamed by all the wannabees out there but that's ok, I actually do just want to help!
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks ak..I know you replied bcoz u know us. We no keyboard heroes Very Happy

I am slicer by nature, almost never hook Laughing
Back to top Go down
skitter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
skitter

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Find this article quite informative about clubhead release.....

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2010-09-pga-tour-release-styles.html
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 12:01 am

shorthitter wrote:

Guys, constructive criticism is great but if your mates are struggling don't make it worse by just repeating last months Golf magazine tip....

Word!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:13 am

shorthitter wrote:
2 different threads here in one, (not unusual haha).

Panji (and Slicer) the first thing you have to accept is that an out to in swing is not the end of the world, there are a million (maybe more) awesome golfers that have OTT paths.... (me included).

The second is there is a huge difference between a Fade and a Slice.

Just because the ball goes left to right is not a bad thing.

The hardest thing in the world is to try and change a natural swing path... (when you are a social golfer and do not have hours a day to work on it).

There are a lot of setup changes can be made to minimize extreme OTT swing paths to adjust ball flight.

The 2nd part of the thread is bent left arm.

Lee Westwood broke his arm as a child, as did Retief, they physically cannot straighten their left arms.

http://www.planetruthgolf.com/PlayerResources/Forums/tabid/77/aft/29123/Default.aspx

I normally dont post in these discussions anymore for obvious reasons but Monday night I had a student lesson...

I asked him what he wanted to work on...

He told me he needed a counseling session, he was about done with golf.... (True Story).

So I said ok talk to me.

He said" my friend says my arms are to bent and I dont look right when I swing".

I said, "ok, thats easy take your 8 iron and hit it but before you do tell me where you are aiming".

He did and the ball went where he wanted and good distance.

I showed him Jim Furyk swing, I showed him Lee Trevino and Jack Nickalaus and Bubba swings, all personal, all not "normal"all Major title winners!

Then I asked him, do you want to play golf or look like a model?

Of course Golf, so is it more important that you know where your ball is going or that you look good to your friend that by the way cannot break 100....?

He chose option 1... he played very well and he likes golf again....

I realize I will get flamed by all the wannabees out there but that's ok, I actually do just want to help!

Nice one AK... there are too many people who likes a quick fix but they dont realise that it will give them more problem if corrected wrongly. I still believe working with a pro is a way to improve the game!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:16 am

shorthitter wrote:

That means you, lumber fai. oh wait. i not qualified to say you. i haven't shoot below 90 at keppel recently.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
shorthitter wrote:

That means you, lumber fai. oh wait. i not qualified to say you. i haven't shoot below 90 at keppel recently.

u mean u ever?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:40 am

yes. i did. 86.

my best score ever was also 80.

and your point being?

I am not basking in the glory of old days.. i am now just enjoying golf and the company that i am playing with. even if to play game and pay my Arch-Nemisis, I would be most happy to.

but i still do not want to play with you.

Last edited by mUAr_cHEe on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 am

oh, my respect for you grew a notch, still not very high though
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
yes. i did. 86.

my best score ever was also 80.

and your point being?

I am not basking in the glory of old days.. i am now just enjoying golf and the company that i am playing with. even if to play game and pay my Arch-Nemisis, I would be most happy to.

but i still do not want to play with you.

When u free???
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:49 am

Arch-nemisis, now got some money but not so free.

so i see when i free and no money, i will whatsapp u.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 12:10 pm

shorthitter wrote:

I like!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead   Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flipping the wrists vs Releasing the Clubhead
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2