Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shaft affecting clubhead speed?

Go down 
+11
Kengnam
maslie
HyBriD
Derek
gohkunyang
Turbo
blee67
Duval_S
Technospaz
buweeza
siaokao
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

Shaft affecting clubhead speed? Empty
PostSubject: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:58 am

Hi.. does shaft affect clubhead speed?

I recently fitted some irons, the original fitted configuration for some reason was not available, I then took another similar configuration which is suppose to be the same (without trying). I tested my new clubs and realize my clubhead speed drop by around 10% and my distance drop by about 15~20m on 7i. I suspect the shaft is the problem, can someone advice? =(
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:01 am

Just to clarify, all these data are acquired from flightscope.
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:04 am

What your distance on the 7i?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:06 am

The heavier the shaft, the slower the clubhead speed (I think). There are various other factors like swingweight, flex etc which all in all would affect your ball-striking abilities.

Also, a loss of distance isn't a bad thing if you gain in terms of better dispersion.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:09 am

F = Ma
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:10 am

Duval_S wrote:
F = Ma

Aren't you supposed to be destroying your competition at Keppel?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 am

Quote :
Technospaz wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
F = Ma

Aren't you supposed to be destroying your competition at Keppel?

afternoon la......

wait.....afternoon right???

NB.....liao !!!
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 am

buweeza wrote:
Total distance used to be around 150~160m (total) on 7i, now I hit at most 145 total.

My smash factor during fitting was around 1.4+.. now drop to 1.2+.. =...(
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 am

siaokao wrote:
buweeza wrote:
Total distance used to be around 150~160m (total) on 7i, now I hit at most 145 total.

WOAH! That's big on the 7i.

I get about 140m (or more like 135m).

Sigh.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 am

Technospaz wrote:
siaokao wrote:
buweeza wrote:

WOAH! That's big on the 7i.

I get about 140m (or more like 135m).

Sigh.

You telling me bro.... the 135m for me is a good strike somemore...
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 am

maybe you can share more details on your original configuration versus the "spare" that you settled for? This may reveal more clues.

Btw, nothing wrong with your distances TBH.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:42 am

siaokao wrote:
Hi.. does shaft affect clubhead speed?

I recently fitted some irons, the original fitted configuration for some reason was not available, I then took another similar configuration which is suppose to be the same (without trying). I tested my new clubs and realize my clubhead speed drop by around 10% and my distance drop by about 15~20m on 7i. I suspect the shaft is the problem, can someone advice? =(

I think the lower torque (stiffer) of your new shaft may affect your distance besides of course the weight.
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:43 am

I was originally fitted for PING i15 AWT R, clubs were delivered with the newer i20 CFS R.

I read that i15 and i20 are very similar and personally do not think there are much difference with the clubhead design other den nicer graphics (and higher price!). Shaft specs are very similar too, both are 99g, regular flex. Only slight difference is torque figures, AWT @ 2deg and CFS @ 2.1deg.

My delivered clubs also came wit bigger grip, one size bigger (gold) compared to the one I tried during fitting.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:52 am

145m for a 7i is pretty good a distance for social golfer. I suggest you stick to it so long your ball trajectory is straight. The bottom line is, you are GIR most of the time.
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:53 am

Did you club head speed go down or your smash factor? If it is smash factor, it could be that you are missing the sweet spot (since you say the club heads are different)

siaokao wrote:
buweeza wrote:

Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:57 am

buweeza wrote:
Did you club head speed go down or your smash factor? If it is smash factor, it could be that you are missing the sweet spot (since you say the club heads are different)

siaokao wrote:
buweeza wrote:

Both club head speed and smash factor went down. =(

Clubhead speed during fitting was up to 90mph.. mainly around the 82~85mph mark. Now even trying very hard, I clocked only 79mph, mostly around 73mph.
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 11:01 am

Turbo wrote:
145m for a 7i is pretty good a distance for social golfer. I suggest you stick to it so long your ball trajectory is straight. The bottom line is, you are GIR most of the time.
But the clubs didn't 'feel' right. Sad
Back to top Go down
gohkunyang
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 11:22 am

Hey Siaokao,

I think you should go back and ask the fitter to have a look if it doesn't feel right cause to me, it sounds like the shaft is too heavy for you (loss of clubhead speed), and the lie angle isn't correct for your swing (missing sweetspot)...

go have a check and ask your fitter about the difference in the club's SWING-WEIGHT between the previous order and this current one.....

Hope this help! Good luck!
Cheers buddy!
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 3:54 pm

gohkunyang wrote:
Hey Siaokao,

I think you should go back and ask the fitter to have a look if it doesn't feel right cause to me, it sounds like the shaft is too heavy for you (loss of clubhead speed), and the lie angle isn't correct for your swing (missing sweetspot)...

go have a check and ask your fitter about the difference in the club's SWING-WEIGHT between the previous order and this current one.....

Hope this help! Good luck!
Cheers buddy!
You are right Kunyang. Swinging the club feels heavier and at point of impact.. the club head 'kick' seems missing.

As for lie angle.. its 3deg more upright compared to my old clubs, guess will take a while to get use to it.

Will try again tonight and if really CMI.. will go back to fitter.
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 9:38 am

Guys.. I tried the clubs last evening and indeed swing weight seems to be he issue. I got tired after just 100 balls.. (3-400 balls one range session was fine b4 this). Now, I like to know if there is a way to reduce swing weight while keeping this stock shaft?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 am

What I don't understand is how you can get fitted for a set and then be given a set with totally different specs
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Derek wrote:
What I don't understand is how you can get fitted for a set and then be given a set with totally different specs
Well, after I was fitted for the i15, I got a call a few ddays later. I was told the factory will not sell me the i15 since I'm a new customer and the i20 is out. So I'm kinda like 'caught' in that sense. Oh hindsight.. I should have cancelled the order. Hiaz..
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 1:33 pm

that happened to a friend of mine too

He ordered a G5 but got the G10 irons and was struggling too.

so he sold his PinG irons

and bought a TaylorMade irons which he hit at the driving range.

thats pretty disappointing.

Maybe you can add an inch long to all your irons to achieved the desired length.

Another friend of mine did that. He is just 5 foot 6. and he addded an inch long to get the desired length.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
gohkunyang
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Hey siaokao,

u should go to a reputable club fitter and try to get ur swing weight suitable for you.....if u would like to keep the shaft there is a way to change the swing weight (by adding weight to the club at specific positions) but that would definitely make your club heavier...you could go down to Keppel club to look for Ivan who works at BigFish and they can definitely help you out coz when I was still touring Ivan used to help me out with my clubs...

Hope you get ur clubs sorted out man!
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks kun yang!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaft affecting clubhead speed?   Shaft affecting clubhead speed? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shaft affecting clubhead speed?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next