Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Football boots instead of Golf shoes?

Go down 
+11
weesern
fata
Bangla123
3131T
joshyo
nutty88
Derek
TDO
shimizu.toruk
haragolfer
zhikang
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Football boots instead of Golf shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi guys, as a beginner who's concentrating on the range and a student with limited $$ to get proper golf shoes, I've been wondering if anyone here has tried using certain models of football boots to play golf with. Question Question Question

I'm specifically thinking of using the boots made for Astroturf cos usually the studs are rubber and very small and well distributed. I've worn them before and they are quite comfy. Would appreciate any comments on this.

If you're wondering, this is sorta what they look like
Football boots instead of Golf shoes? 7223
Back to top Go down
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:17 pm

to add on, can find these quite cheaply at end of season sales, usually around like $40
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:19 pm

wah...!! i want
Back to top Go down
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:20 pm

haragolfer wrote:
wah...!! i want

idea right? when i saw i was thinking if they would work for golf, maybe I shld go get a pair to try..
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:31 pm

i confess i have thought about it. And i am sure they may be lighter and more comfortable. got good deal please share.. the style of golf shoes is heading in this spikeless direction some more.
Back to top Go down
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:34 pm

yah lor. Im asking my footballer friend where he goes to grab gear. Will share once i find out!
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:36 pm

zhikang wrote:
haragolfer wrote:
wah...!! i want

idea right? when i saw i was thinking if they would work for golf, maybe I shld go get a pair to try..

idea....i think it should be all right, since these are soft spikes and can arguably can considered "spikeless" golf shoes.

I didn't know there are boots made for astroturf. Are these why the laymen call "street soccer shoes"?
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 pm

if that colour and sale $40 , can buy for sure.
Back to top Go down
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:38 pm

nope bro street soccer shoes soles are flat and non-marking. these are specifically made for astroturf
Back to top Go down
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:39 pm

haragolfer wrote:
if that colour and sale $40 , can buy for sure.

wah bro the $40 i saw not so nice la... all black nia... but this one damn swee right hahahha
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Idea macham to the max bro..... we need more creative golfers and forumers like u la. Cross polination of ideas.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Shocked Wouldn't the shoes damage the green?
Back to top Go down
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 11:05 pm

TDO wrote:

I doubt so cos the studs are soft. If u look at spikeless golf shoes, also abt the same.

Here's one model from FJ for comparison
Football boots instead of Golf shoes? 30075885

I'm guessing that golf shoes might always be priced at a premium due to the profile of people who play the game. So in comparison football boots might be priced lower.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 11:11 pm

I don't think the ones meant for AstroTurf will damage the greens. In fact, the stud layout are similar to the Ecco golf shoes.

I am actually going to use my old Nike AstroTurf soccer shoes to play soon. Will let u guys know how it turns out.

Functionally I am sure they will work, the issue is whether or not the golf course makes a fuss.

However for driving range, there will be no issues.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Really can't tell the differences between the one posted vs the street golf shoes I have. At $40, I will just grab it and on course with it as long as it doesn't damage the greens.
Back to top Go down
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Derek wrote:
I am actually going to use my old Nike AstroTurf soccer shoes to play soon. Will let u guys know how it turns out.

Yeah let us know how it feels bro. I had an old pair that i think i threw away not too long ago =(
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 11:32 pm

zhikang wrote:
TDO wrote:

I doubt so cos the studs are soft. If u look at spikeless golf shoes, also abt the same.

Here's one model from FJ for comparison
Football boots instead of Golf shoes? 30075885

I'm guessing that golf shoes might always be priced at a premium due to the profile of people who play the game. So in comparison football boots might be priced lower.

Like what nutty said, the base of these golf shoes above are identical to my Nike AstroTurf shoes. Really can't see why they can't perform well as golf shoes.

It will be good if my Nike's work ... Used them for 5 games before injury forced me to give out football and pick up golf ... Would have been a real waste to throw them away
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 12:47 am

I think the soccer boots thing is a great idea. But im thinking now in the area of stability. We'll wait for Derek to feedback and then we will know from there!
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 8:31 am

Actually. I have played quite a few permutations of shoes for golf. Adidas trekking boots, and years ago, when bally first came out with golf shoes with no spikes. Geox hiking shoes was especially good. All good. Worst golf shoes were acyually mizuno golf shoes. The plastic heels 2 years ago were very harsher and uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
3131T

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 11:37 am

Good idea zhikang... well done...

Can use as 2nd pair for range as well...
Back to top Go down
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm gonna head down to Queensway in awhile to see if I can find a cheap pair to try at the range later. Will update!
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 12:05 pm

kudos zhikang. thanks for the great idea.!
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 1:41 pm

It really depends on where you play your golf. Some clubs are extremely particular about dresscode, I am sure you can get a decent pair of golf shoes for around 60-70 dollars. And the thing about spikeless shoes is that I don't think it provides a good grip on uneven lies during a round of golf and wet Singapore weather makes it worse

Hope it helps
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
fata

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 2:10 pm

Golf shoes are much more comfortable. I have A pair each of street soccer shoes, turf soccer and a soccer boots. All are for different field. While the street soccer are for hard ground, turf for artificial and boots for field. For 4hrs of uneven field, I opt for a comfortable golf shoes over turf shoes anytime. My 2 cents Idea
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 2:26 pm

i think GD sells cheap golf shoes... so price should not be a factor... unless u want to use them for both sports.

If only for range... then dun think is necessary.. I wear sandals and running shoes for range practise...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Football boots instead of Golf shoes?   Football boots instead of Golf shoes? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Football boots instead of Golf shoes?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next