Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood

Go down 
+2
nutty88
quinike
6 posters
AuthorMessage
quinike
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood Empty
PostSubject: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:09 pm

So here's a pretty noob story of mine, which i hope someone can englighten me on Smile

I was using an r9 3 wood very happily, when the R11 3 wood came out on offer last year. I bought the new R11, and simply swapped the heads with my r9 3 wood, hoping that it would be more awesome than before with better tech and still using my favorite graman shaft.

Now, the club head feels really heavy. I barely hit the ball 10m off the ground, and it feels as though my shaft kicks very differently through the swing.

I understand the new R11 3 wood head is 10g heavier (+/-), but i didnt expect the results to be so devastatingly different!

Any advise?

Was thinking of wrapping a couple of weights just below my grip to counter balance the club. But i have a HUGE doubt that i'm suddenly going to see good shots and dead centre shots off my club suddenly.

thanks!
quinikeee
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:19 pm

I had that problem with my r11 4w also. I tried removing the red colour thingy for face setting and it feels a lot better. Strangely enough, that piece of thingy is only like 2gm but the feel is very different with or without it.

I finally found the solution to the problem ......

SOLD IT!
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:36 pm

i know what u mean. i was playing a graman shaft on my r7 cgb max 3 wood. yesterday, i swapped the shaft onto my r114 wood and i realised the head of the r11 feels so much heavier. i was thinking of cutting down the shaft to 5w length and adding weight to the grip.

but maybe i'll try out nutty's method of removing the sole plate and see how
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:47 pm

@scottycollector, the sole plate feels really really light but it has great effects on the swing weight for me. The problem with removing it is that you will get soil stucked inside the port and it is a nightmare to clean it.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:53 pm

its a pity that the r11 woods don't utilise interchangeable weight technology, such as the r7 and r7cgb models. The thing is that i do prefer the shallower r11 head, as compared to the r7cgb and i do hit the r11 off the deck much better. only problem is that the head feels like it's lagging a bit in the swing due to its weight.

i'll try out the effect of removing the sole plate on the range first. if it works, i might try sticking on a thin layer of tape to avoid the soil problem
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:56 pm

The other point is that the sole plate is supposed to set the face angle to Open, Neutral or Closed. I am wondering what the setting would be once you removed it. For e.g., if you set to Open and remove it, will it stay Open?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:01 pm

David,

Long time no see and hope all is well with you. I am actually surprised to read a 'noob' posting from you.

I believe that the r9 head is heavier than the r11 head. Why not bring everything to your Graman supplier and get it sorted out?
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:10 pm

nutty88 wrote:
The other point is that the sole plate is supposed to set the face angle to Open, Neutral or Closed. I am wondering what the setting would be once you removed it. For e.g., if you set to Open and remove it, will it stay Open?

the sole plate 'technology' is actually not technology at all. it's very rudimentary. all it does is that by raising or lowering the height of the sole plate, it physically 'closes' or 'opens' the face when you set the club down on the ground at address. it does not actually alter the face angle between ur club face and the shaft. its the same effect as when you try to open or close the clubface of your irons 'manually'.

once you understand how it works, then if you were to remove the entire sole plate, the 'height' of the sole plate will be at its lowest - thereby giving you an 'open' face at address. but quite frankly, the sole plate technology is rubbish since you can close or open the face in the same way, 'manually'.

in fact,the sole plate has completely no effect on my r11s driver. this is bcos i like to hover the club slightly above the ground at address. as i do not rest the club on the ground, the sole plate has zero effect.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:13 pm

thanks for the explanation. Now I understand liao.
Back to top Go down
quinike
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 6:52 pm

thanks all Smile

Will try removing tonight and see how it goes as well.

Muar Chee, haha i haven't been playing golf for EONS. Having a game this week and so panic-ing and sucuumbing to the belief that if i get the clubs theoretically working correctly (and fitting correctly), everything will be okay.

all in the mind... haha
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:36 pm

After watching him hit his 3wood and CCC's 4wood to about 230m or more at MBGC range.

I DONT THINK HE HAS A PROBLEM.

I think I have a problem with my eyes, I couldn't follow his ball past the 210m mark.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 12:05 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
quinike
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 12:56 am

haha EJI! thats called over flattery.

But anyway, thanks to you and CCC for inspiring me to play more golf! sounds damn cheesy but its true!

(and urgh my cut swing looks horrendous)
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 1:18 am

scottycollector wrote:

in fact,the sole plate has completely no effect on my r11s driver. this is bcos i like to hover the club slightly above the ground at address. as i do not rest the club on the ground, the sole plate has zero effect.

I beg to differ. The sole plate HAS some effect to the club. Any good fitter would know that placement of weight at different place of the clubs will have effect to playability and ball flight. Even if it's only 2 grams (actually, it is more like 5 according to my scale) it does make a difference.

Consult a credible club fitter for more on this.

So, it might not have any effect when addressing the club. But it does make a difference in other area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood   Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swing Weight Problems on R11 3 wood
Page 1 of 1