Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Increase swing weight

Go down 
+6
Kaii
reallys
willytan
DLWL
mizunoshen
weesern
10 posters
AuthorMessage
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Increase swing weight Empty
PostSubject: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 3:58 pm

I am thinking of increasing the swing weight for my irons by using lead tape to see if I would prefer a higher swing weight. if i find i prefer higher swing weight, I will get a fitter to do it for the rest of the clubs.

Question is which iron should i use for the test?
Back to top Go down
mizunoshen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 4:40 pm

You have to check if your iron shaft already have swing weights inside them, if they don't then I will suggest you work your way up from your PW.
Personally I like to have a higher/heavier swing weight for my shorter irons, and there are other who want to achieve a standard swing weight throughout.

its cheaper and easier to add and remove lead tape on your own. if you get the fitter to do it the you are kinda stuck with the heavier swingweight..
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 5:45 pm

I was thinking of testing it on a 7 iron and if I find a swing weight that I like, I will get a fitter to make the adjustments to match the rest of the clubs. would prefer to add weight inside the hosel to lead tape.

Not sure it is a good idea to test on 7 iron. 
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 6:36 pm

actually since you are using lead tapes, why dun you just test all? or at least 4I 7I PW.
you may may want to make it progressive weighting, lower swing weight on longer irons.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 9:09 pm

maybe I should do that. just bought the lead tape and i have 20g to play with...

These are the SW for my clubs. 

3iD0.7
4iD0.5
5iD0.4
6iD0.4
7iD0.5
8iD0.5
9iD0
PWD1.3
each tape is 2.5g so for my 7 iron the SW will be about D1.7. Reasonable?
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 10:35 pm

Another way to adjust ur swing weight is by changing to lighter or heavier grips depending whether u wanna increase or lower.It will also alter the swing weight.

Why ur clubs swing weight so low? 

Mine
Pw - D4
9i - D3.5
8i - D3
7i - D2.5
6i - D2
5i - D2

Tips

One swingweight point equals 1.7 to 2.2 grams of weight, depending on the club's length. For example, adding 2 grams of weight to the grip end of a D-9 club would reduce the swingweight to D-8; adding 2 grams to the clubhead side would increase the swingweight to E-0.

http://golftips.golfsmith.com/change-swing-weight-golf-club-20370.html

Last edited by willytan on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
reallys
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
reallys

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 1:08 am

Weesern, your swing weight is very light... I guess that's why you'd want to increase the swing weight. 
Mine is more like SW:D6, then progress to 4i:D2
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 5:05 am

perhaps should understand the reason for his increasing of swing weight first
distance , tempo , control?

I range with heavy clubs n play with lighter clubs.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 9:27 am

Mine is even lower.

C7 I believe, cos Ong told me he already put the heaviest tip weight plus my grip is mid size with 2 wraps. The shaft weight distribution matters as well. The i95s he was fitting for me has this characteristic of being low on swing weight. Ong doesn't recommend powder inside the shaft. He specifically told me not to think about swing weight and just try the clubs 1st. True enough I couldn't actually feel the difference and results are also very similar to my old clubs which were at D0.

Weekend golfers mostly cannot tell the difference between 2 or 3 swing weights I believe. Can do experiment by having a friend measure a few different clubs with different weights and you try and swing see if you can guess the SW.

But being the itchy backside golfers that we are, I totally understand where you are going with this.

Anybody want to share and buy the weighing machine? Or any DIY enthusiasts want to build one, I don't mind getting hands-on. Lol.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 10:55 am

Understanding where u wanna feel the weight comparing just using figures is 2 diff thing.

D or E - nearer to the club head
B or C - nearer to the centre of ur shaft.

By default, all clubs generally are balanced to btw D0-2 for social golfers while more amauter ones slightly head heavy.

Club fitting is pretty personal, some like to "feel the head" while some wanna "feel the general weight" to generate the momentum. It's best to play (trial n error) ard various combo so as to understand what u need for the game. We tend to blame the equip when we play bad, so something dun be garang, start with a softer flex shaft b4 commiting to a stiffer flex where u can't handle.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 2:10 pm

willytan wrote:
Understanding where u wanna feel the weight comparing just using figures is 2 diff thing.

Club fitting is pretty personal, some like to "feel the head" while some wanna "feel the general weight" to generate the momentum. It's best to play (trial n error) ard various combo so as to understand what u need for the game. We tend to ...

Bro, I noticed with curiosity re your WITB ... I wonder why you have two hybrid clubs of about the same loft - 20 & 21 deg? scratch
Back to top Go down
mizunoshen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 3:11 pm

what manufacturer does your clubs belong to?

swingweight and balance is important, but in all honesty you must actually be able to feel the difference in your tempo and if that still does not help you control the tempo, then you start talking about moving heavier in the shaft weight.

question is that when do you actually know that this is the right swingweight? you need to go through a long session of fitting to fit all your irons, so i highly suggest you get some help if you want to trial and error your swingweight.

there are pro's with swingweights that are all consistent D5(see article).
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2012-03/gwar-johnson-equipment-0220.

I used to play badminton competitively and thus a very feel sensitive person(badminton rackets do not offer the same versatility in changing of shafts and weights and its all up to the feel of the racket), thus I needed to have all my irons to have a consistent swingweight throughout.(also good because then i cannot find a reason to nitpick on the clubs that i have and always wanting to improve it)

to end of with a club fitter's quote,
We've also seen 15 handicappers who happen to trip into the perfect combination of total weight OR swingweight OR shaft bending feel and walk away swinging the club almost 10mph faster than before.  It happens because when a golfer finds that perfect feel, the whole swing becomes so much less of an effort - nothing has to be adjusted for or manipulated and the golfer can swing more freely with a much more free release through the ball and their timing is perfect. 
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Turbo wrote:

Bro, I noticed with curiosity re your WITB ... I wonder why you have two hybrid clubs of about the same loft - 20 & 21 deg? scratch

the 3i (driving iron) Is a replacement club for my 4i (165-180m). It is easier to hit than regular irons. I occasionally use it to punch my shot out of bad lie.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm using Cleveland CG Tour. I think the SW was at D1 and I changed to mid size grips. The shaft is DG R300.

just want to try it out with higher SW. and using lead tape to test is the cheapest option and easily reversible. Like DLWL suggested, try on 4i, 7i and PW. Going thru each club will be too long, hopefully i do it for 3 clubs and a fitter can help me with the rest.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Mr Ong, I suppose u need a lower swing weight instead of higher.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 7:15 pm

Why dont you try it on your most confident iron?
Then you will know if that new SW is ok for you, and then get the fitter to match MOI for you.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 7:25 pm

Dun really hv a most confident club. All depends on the day. Hahaha
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 7:41 pm

cheers All the best to your experiment.
No harm trying with the lead tapes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Increase swing weight   Increase swing weight I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Increase swing weight
Page 1 of 1