Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?

Go down 
+9
flashpacker
willytan
Cyp_PGA
albatross
shorthitter
samT
jimmychoo
benjiaming
IGT
13 posters
AuthorMessage
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? Empty
PostSubject: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:19 am

A pretty common scene up here being noticed....think it's good to share with rookies.

http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/a/rulefaq_spike.htm

http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/a/rule16.htm

Cheers
Back to top Go down
benjiaming
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 1:11 pm

good info. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 1:34 pm

I have a question on d. Testing Surface
During the stipulated round, a player must not test the surface of any putting green by rolling a ball or roughening or scraping the surface.
What if my caddy marked, picked up my ball and roll the ball to me? Do I have to mark myself as 2 strokes penalty? confused
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 5:02 pm

I noticed on PGA Tour, the players marked their balls and even picked up thier balls from the holes, not caddies.
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 5:26 pm

So the answer is cannot repair spike marks?

One thing I would do is to tap down the spike marks not in the lines of the current group's putt. I just not sure if I can do it within the rules. But I thought it would help the next group if they can have a better green to putt on. Small things we can do to help each other.
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 5:29 pm

samT wrote:

One thing I would do is to tap down the spike marks not in the lines of the current group's putt. I just not sure if I can do it within the rules. But I thought it would help the next group if they can have a better green to putt on. Small things we can do to help each other.

Yes, that's the spirit. We all should practice before leaving the greens.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 8:28 am

samT wrote:

Good practice, but only after your ball is in the hole. Beer
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
albatross
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
albatross

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Question -

What if on the Green, after my mate putt he walked onto my line of putt and left a spike mark there?

What's the ruling on this and what are my options? can i then repair his spike marks on my line of putt? would he be penalised?
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 6:07 pm

albatross wrote:
Question -

What if on the Green, after my mate putt he walked onto my line of putt and left a spike mark there?

What's the ruling on this and what are my options? can i then repair his spike marks on my line of putt? would he be penalised?
 You can't repair the spike mark as not stepping on the line isn't a rule but etiquette . so he won't be penalise by stroke ,but you can told him to be careful where he is stepping on  the green as it affect your putt on that hole .
Back to top Go down
albatross
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
albatross

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 6:15 pm

Cyp_PGA wrote:
albatross wrote:
Question -

You can't repair the spike mark as not stepping on the line isn't a rule but etiquette . so he won't be penalise by stroke ,but you can told him to be careful where he is stepping on  the green as it affect your putt on that hole .

Thanks bro.

What if we're betting and this asshole just keep stepping on my line of putt knowingly/unknowingly? hahaha.. this spike marks are so bad sometimes it totally alters the path of your otherwise straight putt..

It's a gentlemen game but sometimes there're assholes around... What a Face
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 8:31 pm

albatross wrote:
Cyp_PGA wrote:
albatross wrote:
Question -

Thanks bro.

What if we're betting and this asshole just keep stepping on my line of putt knowingly/unknowingly? hahaha.. this spike marks are so bad sometimes it totally alters the path of your otherwise straight putt..

Bro,

Why play with an asshole since you know he stinks. Ditch him and play with others since u aren't winning much from him either.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 9:12 pm

albatross wrote:
Cyp_PGA wrote:
albatross wrote:
Question -

Thanks bro.

Just a thought, what if he didnt drag his shoes & leave any spike marks, but had actually helped you to flatten those marks which were there before you guys went onto the green?

I wouldnt mind though with such helpful friends. scratch
Back to top Go down
jelvinpost
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
jelvinpost

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 6:18 pm

Good info! Thanks IGT!
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 pm

that means the line of putt is a straight line to hole, never mind if it is a breaking putt.  Is that Correct?
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi Haragolfer,

Not correct. See definition here:

http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/g/rules_lineofput.htm
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 10:20 am

When the spike mark is not there when you mark your ball, it appears later, you can repair it.

See decision on rule 1-2/1
http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=1&subRuleNum=2&decisionId=AF042EDC-3960-4C71-B5B3-BB1B161CAD8E
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?   Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can Spike Marks in Line of Putt Be Repaired?
Page 1 of 1