Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Correct way to repair pitch marks

Go down 
+3
chemicalpro
weesern
Edgarkj
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Edgarkj
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Correct way to repair pitch marks Empty
PostSubject: Correct way to repair pitch marks   Correct way to repair pitch marks I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 3:43 pm

I've just had a long debate with a few friends on how to repair pitch marks.

They insist that the correct way is like: www.mogc.com.au/cms_resources/Pitchmarks.pdf

I DON'T disagree with this method. What I'm saying is that the wrong example shown in the document is the way that was deemed correct last time. That is why some of the divot repair tools (like the scotty cameron ones) are 'bent' at an angle so that you can leverage downwards on the 'bent' angle.

My logic is that if 'lifting' up the grass is wrong (like in the example in the document), then why bother creating 'bent' divot tools, because the bent angles makes it more difficult to do it the way the document indicates!

Anyone else has the same view?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Correct way to repair pitch marks   Correct way to repair pitch marks I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 3:51 pm

I believe why the say the second pic is wrong is bacause u will be puuling the grass out of the roots.

For the first pic, you are only shifting it.

As for the design... everyone can design anything they want to.... eg... Porsche's design has flaws yet it still sells better than the rectified model....
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Correct way to repair pitch marks   Correct way to repair pitch marks I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 3:58 pm

Not all divot repair kits are bent. You could use a key to replace your divot as well.

As for why its bent? I'm sure they've done enough research to justify that Laughing
Back to top Go down
Edgarkj
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Correct way to repair pitch marks   Correct way to repair pitch marks I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 4:01 pm

well, quite a number of divot toos are bent... even some from overseas golf clubs (no brand) are bent... so I strongly feel that there must be a reason for it..... heh
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Correct way to repair pitch marks   Correct way to repair pitch marks I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 6:22 pm

I agree with you Edgarki. I believe the designs are outdated, designed based on what was once deemed the correct way to repair divots by lifting up the centre of the pitchmark. Perhaps cos the tools are so cheap, it doesn't make sense to redesign the tools and the machines that manufacture them due to cost, so just keep making and selling them to rake in the profits. Even Scotty Cameron doesn't care to redesign them correctly.

There are new designs emerging that facilitate repairing pitchmarks the correect way, like the Champ FlipFix II. I got them at Golf House by the way, for a little over $20. The Champ logo is a magnetic ball marker.

Correct way to repair pitch marks Flipfix
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Correct way to repair pitch marks   Correct way to repair pitch marks I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 6:30 pm

alamak, birdman, dun need those claws lah, we all know u have those XMMs to do for u......
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Correct way to repair pitch marks   Correct way to repair pitch marks I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 6:35 pm

Hahaha Slinger, where got? I haven't had the honour of playing with you yet, so you where got see XMM do for me?

ROFL

Eh, doesn't sound right... I mean repair pitchmark for me!
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Correct way to repair pitch marks   Correct way to repair pitch marks I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 8:12 pm

wow.. nice repair tool.. am going to get one....
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Correct way to repair pitch marks   Correct way to repair pitch marks I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 10:54 pm

http://www.golfrepublic.org/golf-rules-etiquette-f13/ballmarks-on-green-t40.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Correct way to repair pitch marks   Correct way to repair pitch marks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Correct way to repair pitch marks
Page 1 of 1