Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

watching the line of putt

Go down 
+3
sandkie
asahi
Duval_S
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

watching the line of putt Empty
PostSubject: watching the line of putt   watching the line of putt I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 pm

I know its not ok to stand behind when someone is putting so as to see his line.

But, is it ok..to quickly run behind someone who just putted to do the same?

Fm gamemanship, is it ok? My initial view is not.....

What is acceptable? and what is non acceptable?

PS: since my game cant improve much, I am working on further improving the other aspect of golf ...gamesmanship
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: watching the line of putt   watching the line of putt I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 pm

haha...actually for weekly social games, not sticky on this lah coz all fren fren mah.

But if playing competition, then better not to.k

p.s. you can stand behind my line of outt when we golf this Sat. Razz
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: watching the line of putt   watching the line of putt I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 pm

You cannot stand behind but can stand in front.....

Meaning you stand behind the hole watching him putt...

correct me if I am wrong....
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: watching the line of putt   watching the line of putt I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 10:55 pm

the only rule is that you can't stand behind your teammate (or caddie standing behind player) as he's hitting the putt....otherwise it's etiquette...so no where in the line of sight..meaning behind, in front of the line of putt..just in case u move while the player is putting...

moving to see the line after he's hit the putt is fine but remember...must always be cool...stroll don't kan cheong... Very Happy ....it doesn't help me anyway....

also, as a rule, don't breathe like darth vader, farts are frowned upon (silent, rip roaring or sharts are all not good), peeing on the green, adjusting your 'equipment' shld be kept to a minimum....
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: watching the line of putt   watching the line of putt I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 11:36 pm

Duval_S wrote:
I know its not ok to stand behind when someone is putting so as to see his line.

But, is it ok..to quickly run behind someone who just putted to do the same?

Fm gamemanship, is it ok? My initial view is not.....

What is acceptable? and what is non acceptable?

PS: since my game cant improve much, I am working on further improving the other aspect of golf ...gamesmanship

I have roughing look through the rule of golf. Under rule 8-2 indicating line of play and rule 16-1a Touching line of putt. There were no ruling saying that you cannot stand behind or in front of someone line of putt. I think it had to do with etiquette. I am sure it will be uncomfortable when you knew someone is standing behind or in front your line of putt .. You may notice most pro always stand outside the green when someone is going to putt on the green.

However, it is fine for you to move anywhere once the player have taken his stroke. Without letting the player knew that you are trying to see his line of putt, is 1st class but if he knew you are trying to see his line of putt, is low class ...

I have a golf buddy. He always stand behind my line of swing on a tee box to see which area I have arming on the fairway .. It is fine, as he will walk away before I take my swing.

Just my 2 cents ... Do correct me if I am wrong
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: watching the line of putt   watching the line of putt I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 12:31 am

My understanding is that standing behind or in front of hole is an etiquette rule and it is not limited to only the putting green.

So there is no penalty, but there can be dq if there is a serious breach of etiquette.

Do correct me if i am wrong....
Back to top Go down
lennylim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
lennylim

PostSubject: Re: watching the line of putt   watching the line of putt I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 am

i do think the correct etiquette is not to stand in the line of putt... in front or behind the cup.
personally i find it distracting as well, so i try not to do it to others.

even when we have side bets going, btw friends and kakis, we're usually quite open with each other, i.e. whoever gets to putt first usually offer to "show you the line", or we openly ask "pls show me the line". as long as we don't stand on the line during the stroke, but more than welcome do so after the putt.

during this year ryder cup, i saw rory and mcdowell pair walk "coolly" behind the line of putt as soon as their opponent's ball left the putter face. i think its a widely accepted practice on tour.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: watching the line of putt   watching the line of putt I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

watching the line of putt
Page 1 of 1